UK Self Assessment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I know this isn't Spanish tax related (well indirectly it is), but is anyone on here filling out the self assessment form because of owning a property abroad? I ask because I have been looking at the SA106 for overseas investments and have seen that some of the tax paid in Spain can be reclaimed in the UK, as well as some "operating" expenses.

I have never filled out a tax return before, so will the year 2007/ 2008 be payable later this year or next year? I suppose I have to contact my local HMRC office for the form in the first place. Finally, as both my Wife and I own the property, do we both have to fill out the self assessment or can it be done by one only? I ask because at the moment, 'er indoors has bucket loads of overtime and we don't want to put her in another tax bracket. Myself on the other hand, well it seems I am just the hired help at the moment .

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2008 1:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Not more forms to fill in, Mark ? Download here >> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/sa106.pdf Helpsheet at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa106-notes.pdf

My OH is just wading through his forms that came from the tax office as he's newly retired. Fortunately, he had a letter a couple of weeks ago from The Pensions lot. (They'd not been able to pay his pension into our bank & it turned out they were putting the wrong sort code on the payments). There was an email address on so he communicated by email. A reply came straight back from a certain Diana Ross. She's helped him on other things so yes, definitely SUPREME.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/4/2008.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 1:21 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks More, I have those documents already. I'm just a confused being a virgin at this self assessment lark and don't really know where to start . I want to try and be efficicent and get it done and dusted, out of the way.

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2008 1:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Mark. Yes, I recall previous posts by you, I posted links for others actually.

Like 0      
04 May 2008 1:54 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi Mark

Tax payable for 2007/2008 tax year is payable by 31st January 2009. You can submit your tax return as soon as it's ready and then they will send you a payment demand about mid-december 2008 ready for your payment. You won't benefit by paying early so you may as well keep the money in your account, however if you are due a refund, they will pay you as soon as they have processed your tax return, they don't wait until Jan 2009. I used to have a refund each year and so got my tax returns in by June and usually had the repayment by end August.

As far as I am aware if you jointly own an invemstment property you are charged tax 50/50 on any net rental income and any allowances are shared 50/50 (that's how we used to have to process it for our overseas landlords who had properties in the UK).

This message was last edited by J&N on 5/4/2008.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2008 1:50 PM by fairview Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi There

Just checking what forms would need to be filled in on the UK Tax return for income received for renting out property abroad.  The income will be from friends/family so will be received in the UK not Spain.  Presumably if this is the case what would be the best way to go about it in Spain does anyone know if  we just pay the La Renta tax? If so is this deducted from the income received for rental of the overseas property  in the uk?

Many thanks for help with this.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Going Out To Tender! - 0 posts
Beds Almoradi/Dolores/Orihuela Area - 5 posts
New London Mayor - 20 posts
Increased costs for Ryanair luggage from Mon 5th May - 10 posts
Buying Property in Trampolin Hills Albudeite - 1 posts
Importing a boat from usa to Spain, - 1 posts
Furniture For Sale - 14 posts
Eclipse in Manilva - 0 posts
help upon minimum notification required from developer of completion - 6 posts
Hi everyone - 2 posts
WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT - 21 posts
confirmation required - 1 posts
Hi from Megmerlin got a question re Building works - 5 posts
Power of Attorney - 6 posts
JUSTICE AT LAST! - 2 posts
BACKSTABBING BRITS - 0 posts
Wealth Tax?? and Other Taxes? - 1 posts
New to Oasis. - 1 posts
furniture shops in murcia - 3 posts
Spanish SIP card - 34 posts
uk or spanish mortgage??? - 15 posts
rental agencies costa del sol - 0 posts
Has anyone got refund? - 2 posts
Time stands still...in Manilva - 9 posts
mobile home information please - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x