favor40 ????????????????

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Has anyone else had a PM from this person who wants me to send my e mail so she can send me a photo of her??

What's that all about??

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 2:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Yes, unfortunately someone registered yesterday and decided to spam some people using the PM facility.

I have deleted all those spam messages now.  Sorry to all those affected.

Now, how do we stop this happening again?

Here are the options and I would like some feedback please:

1. New users can only send PMs after making a certain number of public posts.  Say 10 or 20?

2. New users can only send 1 PM per day for the first 30 days

3. New users cannot send any PMs unless they have asked for permission to EOS Team.

4. Any other suggestions??

Let me know what you think and I will set this up.  PM spam is becoming quite an issue and we really need to deal with it ASAP.

Thanks

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 2:44 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Thanks for that Justin, it really was quite wierd.

I like option 3 best. Also would it be an idea to say that filling in a profile should be compulsary when joining the forum? After all there is no reason not to do this is there?

This message was last edited by Karensun on 3/13/2008.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 2:53 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Option 2 looks fair Justin. If anyone needs to strike up regular personal contact, they can exchange email addresses by using 1 PM.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:05 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Option 2 sounds the easiest.

If a new user asked for permission (Option 3), how would you know who to allow and who to refuse ?

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Option 2 looks reasonable. Another option which won't necessarily stop the SPAM is to stop auto registration and have each member approved by EOS before they are able to post?

Mark

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:14 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

All of these options should have the desired  effect.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:17 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
Option two.
Cheers

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:21 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Yes, I think no.2 is the most feasible, with a possibility of linking it to no.1 (if technically possible that if they have reached, say, 10 public posts, before the 30 days expire they will then be able to send more than one PM), although that may mean more admin work.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:47 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Number 2 or 10 posts, whichever is the sooner.

Profiles mean nothing really as it relies on people telling the truth, after all most people on here have 'nom de plumes'.

I for one would not like to enter my true details.

Good luck with it Justin.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 3:59 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Wouldn't expect true details Sandra, but the area in which you have bought in Spain would be helpful and save us having to ask so that we can give an answer specific to that area.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 4:16 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Karen,

Sorry, but I don't understand. Why would filling in ones profile with untruthful answers help stop spamming?

I can however understand the desire to know, when trying to answer their queries, where a poster is situated in Spain and will bear it in mind if ever I post one. In the mean-time I prefer to keep it to myself.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 4:36 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Sorry Sandra, don't wish to trespass on your confidentiallity and of course filling in a profile with untruths isn't going to help spamming but I did just add it on to my post as an 'also' for the moderator to think about.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 7:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

favor40 sent me 4 messages, and seemed such a nice girl, so I'm going on  a date next week

But seriously - option 3 sounds good to me.

I'm just wondering why anyone would go to the trouble of registering on sites like this just to send spam? What is the overall objective? Just to get e-mail addresses, to send more spam?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Mar 2008 12:10 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I vote for option 2.

I think most new users would probably prefer to ask a question privately rather that post for everyone to see,  One per day should be suffecient.

Anyone who does abuse the PM's would be reported so unless this "favor40 spamming" becomes a regular event then we shouldn't restrict the genuine new poster too much.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2008 11:30 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Option 2 looks good.

I didn't get any spam PM's so no date for me next week,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Mar 2008 6:41 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

I disagree with the option that allows one to post after so many postings as much as I love the site I dont get the time to use it as much as i would like, with all the systyems available today it would allow a true spammer to pm people automatically regardless.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 5:12 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
I was sent an email by this person and I sent it on to Justin to see what he thought.  I've been away for about 10 days so I didn't know several others had been sent the same email as me.  I tend to think the worst of things like this but does anyone have any theories as to the underlying objective of this email? Either this lady is the loneliest person on earth or there is an ulterior motive yet to surface.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 7:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Don't know if you can read last Sunday's Mail on Sunday online, but there was a rather amusing article about a town in Siberia or somewhere, where the latest growth industry is internet dating/marriage scams. Apparently, loads of "pot-bellied, balding middle aged" Western men have been falling for Russian beauties who contact them by e-mail proposing to "make them happy", but who are in fact big ugly hairy mafiosa blokes who somehow, amazingly, manage to persuade them to part with, in some cases, huge sums of money to arrange visas and airfares. One German guy sent 26,000 euros!!!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 7:35 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Phew that was lucky.  I'm not bald and I haven't got €26,000.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Revision of catastral values in Estepona - Time is running out! - 0 posts
Hi! - 1 posts
buying - 1 posts
An Owner at Last - 11 posts
sterling to euro in spain - 1 posts
alexpat - 2 posts
75% Mortgage - 21 posts
Building Licences - 14 posts
Masa stand by - 1 posts
Wanted partner - 0 posts
sell off plan before completion - 8 posts
Buying property in Puzol - 0 posts
Change of address on vehicle registration document - 2 posts
lynnann & Steve brisas del mar/seaford - 0 posts
la Recoleta,Punta Prima - 1 posts
swimming pool size - 1 posts
Editing posts - 54 posts
Straw Donkey Roadhouse - Duquesa - 8 posts
kathleenbaby - 63 posts
administrator and president problems - 6 posts
Updated forum rules - 0 posts
Easter Fiestas Manilva area - 1 posts
Net curtain rods - Costa Blanca - 25 posts
Problems with the Administrator and President. - 8 posts
Thankyou Maria - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x