Building Licences

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by shaggi Star rating. 38 posts Send private message

Can you tell me who is responsible for obtaining licences. I have had a tile  roof put  onto my open porch and the town hall are now saying i  need a full project from an architect and  apply for a licence for the work. Who should have got the licence me or the contractor? He says it is my responsibility  to have got it  as it´s my  property.

Does anyone know the right answer?

Thanks

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 12:42 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I think you'll find that it is your responsibility to get the licence. You as the owner are responsible for everything. The builder is just working from your instruction.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 2:04 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Karensun is right and I'm afraid this is your responsibility.  Builders just follow orders (and money) although I'm sure respectable ones may inform you that you should have the permission in place first.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 2:04 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Karensun is right and I'm afraid this is your responsibility.  Builders just follow orders (and money) although I'm sure respectable ones may inform you that you should have the permission in place first.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 5:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
It is the responsibilty of the property owner. Not sure about an architect's project, I suppose that would depend on the size and nature of the job involved. For smaller renovation type work, it is simple and cheap to obtain a licencia de obras menores - minor works. Unfortunately, since you have already done the work, you will probably have to play to the town hall's tune (and possibly pay a fine) or else undo the work you have done. Sorry.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2008 10:39 AM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Hiya, it is your responsibility as you are the ownder of the property  and you should go to an architect and get a project drawn up and agreed by your town hall, if you dont get it sorted they can make u take it down and give u a fine.

Im sure it will all work out fine in the end.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2008 2:24 PM by www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr Star rating in oliva costa blanca. 38 posts Send private message

www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr´s avatar

Hi sorry to here that you are having problems i here these storys all the time.

well first you are responsable for the permission

but your builders should have informed you that these works will require permission (just wanted the work)

I have known that you can take photos of the works and give them to the townhall It is worth having a translater there if your spanish aint top notch

you will get fined if they are being funny

but they think that you are avoiding paying the taxes on the work so its worth taking the reciept of the work an ask to pay the taxes its not alot you will be surprised

** EDITED - Please respect forum rules when posting **

good luck

john

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 3:04 PM by spanishsolicitor Star rating in Murcia. 140 posts Send private message

spanishsolicitor´s avatar

If you are planning to erect a house or do any major repairs or alterations to existing ones involving structural components or even for minor construction works you must apply for a permission. In Spain the local planning system controls the use of land and what's built on it through two types of license

a) Minor construction work permit “Licencia de Obra menor”

To find out what kind of works are considered minor you have to check the local regulation. You may contact the planning department of your local planning authority for advice requesting application form and decide on permit type. It is often a good idea to meet a planning officer for an informal discussion before you proceed. You will not be charged for this. Each Town Hall has his own ordinance but generally speaking under this type are included:

Repair work without alteration of the volume or the principal use of the facilities and services of communal use

Building works which are wholly internal.

Works that do not affect the external composition or structure

For instance: Changing the floors, changing the tiles, building or removing partitions in the interior of the house, placing or removing doors, windows, gratings, tiling a garden or terrace, adding decorative girders/pergolas to a garden or terrace, raising the walls of the garden.

Documentation required

Application with description of the works, proposed use, budget, owner and/or builder identification and location. You should keep one sealed copy of the application form

b) Major construction work permit “Licencia de Obra mayor”

For undertaking works such as new buildings, alterations, demolitions or even the construction of a swimming pool you need to apply for a “Licencia de Obra mayor”

Documentation required

Application form signed by an architect, architectural engineer, promoter and builder must be accompanied by a plan of the site, details of any proposed works and two copies of the construction drawings endorsed by the Architects Association

Tax

Construction Tax “Impuesto sobre instalaciones construcciones y obras” I.C.I.O. and/or Licence fees. These are calculated depending on the figure set by your Town Council, approximately ICIO costs about 3-4% of the estimated construction costs and Licence fees about 1-2%. It is irrelevant for this tax if you have the materials and you and only you are going to undertake the works therefore you have to pay tax in this case calculating the cost according to the guidelines of the Architect Association. These fees are not refundable even the permit is not granted.

It is not necessary to make the application yourself. If you wish, you can appoint an agent (for instance, an architect, a solicitor, or a builder) to submit it for you on your behalf but your agent will need a written and express authorization

If the Town Hall does not reply you with a written notification within  the time period provided by law , you will automatically obtain the licence, assuming that the correct information was submitted and it complies with planning regulations.

If you don't wait until your application is granted the local authorities could impose you a disciplinary penalty.

If the council turn down your application or imposes conditions, it must give written reasons and if you think the council's decision is unreasonable, you may wish to consider appealing to the Mayor. The deadline for submitting an appeal is indicated in the decision of the Town Hall

If you know any construction works undertaking without permission you could report to the Council even if you do not have any nuisance or detriment.

Felix Lopez

www.fljordan.com Law Firm

This message was last edited by spanishsolicitor on 4/3/2008.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 4:35 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I have a large semi basement listed on my deeds as a store, but not as living space, which i want to divide up into separate rooms.  My lawyer says that my deeds confirm that I can do this without asking anyone because its internal, it won't interfere with the structure and already has windows, so there will be no change in the external appearance.  I was under the impression that the Horizontal propert Act confirmed this, but I see Part 2 (which I think dealt with this) has disappeared off the system, was there something wrong with that?  Naturally I want to ensure that everything is legal as when i come to sell, I want the deeds to reflect the new area.  Also loads of people in our urb. (including me) have had grilles put up to keep out the local burgulars altering the external appearance.  I know that its law now, but I am sure non of us applied for planning permission of any sort.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 5:23 PM by www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr Star rating in oliva costa blanca. 38 posts Send private message

www.costadelazaharbuilders.co.nr´s avatar

Hi xetog

Well not applying for plans is not the wright way to go.

Go to your local town hall take translater with you if needed and ask to speak to the planning officer there this will cost nothing he will advise you if you need a licencia de obra menor which i think you will, this is not alot of money as for your grills dont say nothing as they are already there but should have had permission builders hay anything to cut cost.

** EDITED - Please respect forum rules **

hope this helps john

or vist my site

Like 0      
13 Jun 2010 5:40 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

Does anybody know how long it usually takes the town hall to give you a licence to erect fencing?

Jojan

Like 0      
13 Jun 2010 7:12 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

It depends which area you are in. Where are you and somebody in that area maybe able to advise?

Like 0      
13 Jun 2010 8:12 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

We are in Manilva area

Jojan

Like 0      
13 Jun 2010 8:24 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

http://www.manilva.es/secc_noticia/index.php?id_conc=urbanismo&id=2107

Not sure if this helps but the local town hall site seems to be quite helpful. If you install google translate tool on your desktop you can translate their web site and keep abreast of what's happening. It seems that land can be re classified in that area if people are quick which is good news

Like 0      
13 Jun 2010 9:02 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Thank you KP we will try that.

Jojan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Masa stand by - 1 posts
Wanted partner - 0 posts
sell off plan before completion - 8 posts
Buying property in Puzol - 0 posts
Change of address on vehicle registration document - 2 posts
lynnann & Steve brisas del mar/seaford - 0 posts
la Recoleta,Punta Prima - 1 posts
swimming pool size - 1 posts
Editing posts - 54 posts
Straw Donkey Roadhouse - Duquesa - 8 posts
kathleenbaby - 63 posts
administrator and president problems - 6 posts
Updated forum rules - 0 posts
Easter Fiestas Manilva area - 1 posts
Net curtain rods - Costa Blanca - 25 posts
Problems with the Administrator and President. - 8 posts
Thankyou Maria - 1 posts
Free to view sky packages - 6 posts
Hi can anyone tell me more about San Pedro de Alcantara and the El Campanario apartments? - 1 posts
electrical goods and lighting suppliers in spain - 1 posts
Wanted Long Term in Duquesa Area - 0 posts
Royal Park Spa Resort I Campomor - 5 posts
Los Alcazares - new here! - 1 posts
Any young english people moved to Spain?? Spanish classes?? - 0 posts
3 months medical care - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x