Editing posts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Did someone ask Justin about NOT being able to edit a post AFTER someone has replied to it?

If not, can I ask for this facility to be added to your forum please Justin?

Once a post has been "posted" and then replied to, it should remain as it was originally posted and not be edited

If it is edited, it gives a wholly different aspect and perception of any replies that follow it

It would make sense, for others coming into a thread, to be able to follow it properly and not get confused over replies that didn't tie up with previous posts.

Anyone agree with this?

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Agreed. I did ask for it a while back as did More I think. That and the ability to "sticky" a thread for important issues.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:28 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Yes, Fibby, this was raised before and there were members who agreed that posts shouldn't be able to be edited after someone else had posted a response, due to what you say - that others reading a relevant thread would be thrown by someone editing their post after a certain length of time.  If you get my drift!!

I think Justin/EOS is looking into it, so we have to bear with them.

But totally agree, posts shouldn't be allowed to be edited after someone else has posted a response or in some other circumstance (sometimes people actually post at the same time) it can be difficult to facilitate I'm sure, so have to be monitered!!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:31 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Well Marksfish, I think we need to get heavy with this one!

I think it's an important point.

It can affect people personally, giving others the wrong impression, which is not conducive to good member relations.

Let's get a petitiion going...............yeah!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:34 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hear hear Pitby, and yes, I did understand what you meant!

Sometimes, my brain knows what I want to say, but my mouth won't say anything that makes sense!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:46 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Fibby, I have exactyly the same problem!!  Comes out the fingers on the keyboard, then I look back and think "what the heck is that???  But there is sense in there somewhere!!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:51 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

This is a common problem, sometimes known as "Wine fingers"

Happens to me at weekends, not week nights, Tee total in the week.....................

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 7:59 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself without resorting to circumlocution.

Can you read me now folks?

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:00 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Ok Fibby, I spelled 'exactly' wrong!!  Wine fingers were not to blame!!!   Simple typo@@  Oh, did it again%%

So got you!!  It was the beer fingers, not the wine - because a decent wine hand would never get that wrong, c'est vrai????

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:03 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Not that it appears to happen much on here and, as a newbie, my opinion doesn't carry much weight, but this is an important issue.

On another Spanish forum, I was dragged into a bit of an argument with the resident troll and, while I remained the right side of offensive, I did call her on her attitude and made it obvious that while she might intimidate some other members, I would be more than happy to "see" her abuse, and "raise" her an intelligent put-down.

At which point, she edited her posts and reported me to the moderators. Cue my posts being deleted (they looked entirely unprovoked by this time) and receiving a warning message from the powers-that-be.

Looks like I was stung by someone who'd played the game before.

However, hopefully the point remains valid.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh gawd!

Circumlowhat?

I know I used a few posh words in my earlier post, just to sound intelligent you see.................

but what on earth is circumlowhatsit when it's at home?

Whatever................. well said and written Sandra, no wine fingers for you tomight then!..................

and Pitby, you are NOT allowed to edit spelling mistakes after a reply has been made......else we will start to think you are intelligent, like moi!!!

OK?!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:20 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Mark, absolutely see your point!  Whole problem is that, as we have already raised, and you agree, deleting posts and threads, doesn't actually eradicate the problem of malicious or offensive posts.

Threads should be blocked, with no more postings, and members' posts should remain to be seen, so other members can see exactly what has happened, with no censoring.  This is the one thing - and only the one thing - that I would really have an issue with EOS for. 

I must admit that it does bug me that members can't access what other members have posted, without being censored. 

Which is equivalent to what happens when threads/posts are deleted.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:29 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Jan,

I'm the last person in the world to advocate censorship - it's a political thing.

I'd rather people were allowed to spout any old rubbish and leave individuals to make up their own mind about the content. Then they can choose whether or not to engage with the person, in full knowledge of the facts.

Obviously, in the case of seriously inflammatory or defamatory posts, I'd understand the moderators getting involved, but perhaps in such a way that the rest of the membership can still get an idea about the reasons for their action.

I don't know. It's difficult. I'm glad I don't have to run the site.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:29 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

HybridAnglo,

Well put.

The resident What!!!

I don't think you'll find one of those on this forum. Do you Fibby?

Mark, you will be welcomed on here, so long as you remain on the right side of offensive and the humorous nature of your posts is maintained.

Brilliant, Thanks for the laugh

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:45 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Poor Mark, you must have been a victim of your own intelligence and humour.

Your post here was both intelligent and amusing and I guess your style in the "other forum" was not well received by the Resident troll.

You see, these trolls are a law unto themselves, see that word hidden there...elves?

Yep, you got it, it's all cloud cuckoo land and fairy stories on these forums!

And Mark, as a newbie, your opinion DOES count, we were all newbies once, many fairy stories ago!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:47 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Sandra,

Am I being thick (it happens far more often than I'd like) and you're having me on, or have you not heard of an internet troll before?

From Wikipedia:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Of course, I fall for it every time. Probably something to do with me being an internet billy goat gruff.

Clip clop, clip clop, bang BANG BANG BANG!

Mark.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:57 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

In that case Mark, nope we don't have any trolls on this forum.

We don't do none of that baiting stuff, or disrupt threads..........................nope no trolls here.

Only Billy Goat Gruffs..........and they actually go:

Trippity-trop not clip clop!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 8:58 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Fibby,

It's funny, but the initial abuse came after she struggled to understand a post I made about insurance and the need for a clear understanding of the jargon, having worked in the industry. She got on her high horse about my eloquence ("an ordinary person would need a translation of your English") and then personalised her attack (despite never having met me). I should have let it lie - the comments said far more about her than I could have wished to - but alas, once a soldier, always willing to fight.

That said, I'll try and keep my combative nature in check on here.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 9:05 PM by HybridAnglo Star rating in Leeds & Manilva. 73 posts Send private message

HybridAnglo´s avatar
Fibby said: "Trippity-trop not clip clop!"

Yeah, but this daft, old goat is wearing clogs!

Pa-dum-tish. Ayethangyoo!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2008 9:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I too work in Insurance Mark, so I know exactly what you mean about "jargon"

We have all been told to "speak warm & clear" to our customers.

We usually use terms that aren't in any dictionary!

How about you start afresh in this forum eh?

Put anything that may have happened behind you and enjoy a happy place with many many members.

Most members on here are very friendly and helpful, there will always be the odd one or two that overstep the mark.

I hope I am not and never will be one of them.

This is OUR forum, yours, mine, Fred nextdoor, everyones.

Please enjoy it, it's new members like you, that make it a versatile and expanding forum, we love new blood!

In the nicest possible way of course..........but goat curry is rather tasty!!! 

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Straw Donkey Roadhouse - Duquesa - 8 posts
kathleenbaby - 63 posts
administrator and president problems - 6 posts
Updated forum rules - 0 posts
Easter Fiestas Manilva area - 1 posts
Net curtain rods - Costa Blanca - 25 posts
Problems with the Administrator and President. - 8 posts
Thankyou Maria - 1 posts
Free to view sky packages - 6 posts
Hi can anyone tell me more about San Pedro de Alcantara and the El Campanario apartments? - 1 posts
electrical goods and lighting suppliers in spain - 1 posts
Wanted Long Term in Duquesa Area - 0 posts
Royal Park Spa Resort I Campomor - 5 posts
Los Alcazares - new here! - 1 posts
Any young english people moved to Spain?? Spanish classes?? - 0 posts
3 months medical care - 1 posts
Stationery supplies in Los Alcazares - Murcia! - 3 posts
Help -New to this! - 3 posts
Pick up from Murcia - 1 posts
British Expats in Costa de la Luz! - 2 posts
Hi Vis vests & spare bulbs - 0 posts
Expats in Costa de la Luz??? - 9 posts
Cost of living 2008 - 0 posts
New facilities on Photobucket - 14 posts
Who is liable? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 54

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x