Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

The Euro is very strong at the moment

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/ticker/markets/default.stm

Bad news for those about to comlete on off-plan properties or contemplating purchasing  immediately, unless you forward purchased your Euros last summer/autumn.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 3:00 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Dont rub it in!

I reckon its the reason its gone so quiet - the illegal builds, land grab, interest rate rises and hurricanes werent enough - the bloomin exchange rate has really done for it!

Oh well - off to the beach to top up the tan meethinks!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 3:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Not good for new buyers, granted.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 3:49 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
 A Morerosado post against forum rules !!  Shock, horror !!

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 3:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Glad we bought when we did really. It seems hard to think that only in October last year when we sent out our final payment it was still 1.45. Sod interest rate rises as a means to "cool" the economy, we are having enough with having to find the extra £50pm (ish) for the mortgage payment!!

Mark

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 3:52 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Rates are a bit of a blow for us who are planning to buy later this year .We may have to lower our sites.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 4:32 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Hope you realised my post was tongue in cheek More. I have great respect for anything you post as you have been very helpful to me.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 5:09 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I just rang Currencies Direct because we need to move some money. At the moment they are offering 1.26 as there has been a sudden drop again.

Perhaps the transfer will wait a few days and we'll cross our fingers.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 5:32 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
I bught some yesterday from HSBC to take to Tenerife tomorrow and only got 1.26 .

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 5:54 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

1.32 at xe.com with a £12 charge for any amount. You need to set up an account though which can take a few days.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 6:03 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Was that rate within the last hour Marksfish?  That's good. We are only looking to move about 3,000-4,000 pounds.

How are they so much better? CD said there had been a huge drop today.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 6:12 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

That was at  2pm this afternoon. I have just gone back and taken another look to find it has dropped again to 1.30739221. A very volatile market at the moment, I think it is pot luck to choose the right time.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 6:39 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Just gone up again to 1.326

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 6:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There are some HUGE variances at the moment. It doesn't usually vary vy two cents in a day, let alone over an hour or so .

Mark

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 7:34 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Rixxy, the earthquake we had Tuesday (it shook us out of bed.............I know, I know , earth moving and all that) following almost a week of freezing temperatures should  be enough to have people scurrying to seek warmer climes. Enjoy the beach whilst you can!!

The rate has been dropping steadily for a few weeks now but the past few days have been particularly volatile.

Any cash buyers budgeting £100,000.00 to complete on a property they bought when the exchange rate was, say 1.46 to the pound,  will have to find another £11,250.00 if they have to complete about now. That will furnish the place and some left over!! 

Also it means that for every £500.00 worth of euros required for holiday spending you will get about 100 euros less at the moment. How many beers is that? Much better to use your Nationwide cash machine card ( I hope you've all got one) than taking travellers cheques or large amounts of cash on holiday. And that applies whatever the exchange rate.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 9:58 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
Lets not forget June last year the rate was the reverse and reached 1.51€ to the £1.00 before it dropped.

This message was last edited by chipmonk on 2/29/2008.

Like 0      
29 Feb 2008 7:21 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Chipmonk, I don't think historically the Euro has ever been so strong as to equal GBP 1.50!!!  I think you mean that you were GETTING  Euro 1.50 for GBP 1.00!

On the other hand, if you paid 1.50 pounds for 1 euro last June, there is an exchange house somewhere that made a serious killing!!

Like 0      
29 Feb 2008 8:25 AM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar

Hi Pitby

Correct sorry better change it

I got 1.49€ last year as it was peaking and it did reach just over 1.51 and managed to buy the rest of my deposit at that rate and completed in November last year. The point I was trying to making was that it was the reverse to what the situation is now and I am like many having to pay the my mortgage at the now very poor exchange rate. Not knowing a great deal about the markets but watching it over a four year period I based my purchasing on 1.40 anything above that to me is good and below that poor. Hopefully the market will steady at 1.40 again in the near future and help everyone.

Kind regards

Paul

Like 0      
03 Mar 2008 12:17 PM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

It still astonishes me that many Brits who live in the eurozone are opposed to UK replacing the pound with the euro. I remember good old Harold Wilson as he presided over the devaluation of the pound "...this won't affect the pound in your pocket!"

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 5:23 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Well it just goes to show...

Currencies Direct offered me an exchange of 1.2502 this afternoon. I was so disgusted that I did some net trawling and finished up with Moneycorp who registered me same day and gave me 1.2825.

Not much difference there then.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HOUSE IN SPAIN - CHANNEL 4 - 12.30 til 13.30 uk time - 5 posts
coming over on 11th march !! - 2 posts
Hacienda Requelme Golf Resort - 25 posts
Andalucia Day - 2 posts
Peter and Theresa - 3 posts
6-8 week Rental required, Costa Brava Area, May and June - 1 posts
Costa Brava small property rental required for May and June 2008 - 0 posts
Fay Nights - 0 posts
Isnt it time for a new meet?? - 14 posts
SPANISH CLUB, HELP YOU LEARN, FORUM ETC - 1 posts
Pinar de campoverde - 10 posts
New to EOS and looking to buy in Spain - 4 posts
Europa Goldcar rip off at Murcia - 0 posts
Easter Cultural Fiestas Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Spanish Plumbing - 9 posts
Search Facility - 5 posts
advice please - 3 posts
Long term Rental - Alpujarras - 0 posts
Fishing Tackle Shop - 2 posts
Reported to Social Security - 5 posts
first occupational licence / who is in - 1 posts
als pal - 0 posts
va va voom - 1 posts
CAR BOOT SALES - 2 posts
Account Opening Fees - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x