What "official" things to do on next visit to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Okay, so now we own the property we have some commitments to spain we need to sort out.

I am hoping that wealth tax and renta tax will be extremely minimal for 2007, if any at all considering we only purchased in the last two weeks of the year.

I am aware that we have to register for something at the Town hall. Can't for the life of me remember what it is, but apparently costs 3€. Is that per person or per family? Any ideas what it is called please? I am also assuming that by carrying out this registration we will also be informing the council of our need to pay their equivalent of council tax?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? We have an early half term in Leeds, so I will be beating a lot of the queues (hopefully) to try and get these things done on my visit in February.

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 5:35 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar

Could the thing at the Town Hall be signing on the Padrón?

Diane

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 5:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Wealth tax is payable for full year irrespective of when you completed, Mark. However, you don't need to pay for 2007 till 31st Dec 2008. Renta tax is payable just for time you've owned.

Padron cost us nothing.

Seems ages since we were all discussing buying bits & bobs like iron, kettle, toaster, cutlery ets for you to put away till completion, doesn't it ?

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 6:58 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Have you bought a new property, if so then it might be a couple of years before you start paying wealth tax.  To calculate how much you pay you need details from your Suma bill and some people do not pay any Suma for a couple of years.

This is what happened to a friend of mine, obviously you have to pay a huge bill for the back dated years so it's a good idea to put some money aside.

I bought a resale in October 2003 and I pay my Wealth/renta tax in June through my solicitors.  I paid a slightly lower amount the first year, I was told why but I've forgotten.  I thought it was because it was because I hadn't owned it for a full year.  But as others say it's calculated from Jan to Dec then that doesn't ring true.  Perhaps I paid a full year wealth and part for renta.

In September I paid the Suma and paid the full year.  The previous owner had paid in September before I bought and unlike the UK I didn't pay her anything for the part year.  I paid the Electric and Water bills from then on so I also paid part of her bills as well so it probably evened itself out money wise.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 9:16 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Screwed whichever way I turn then!! A bit annoyed that I have to pay a year's worth of tax for only two weeks. I must try and remember to sell the property  at the end of the year and forget to pay the tax for the preceing 11 months!!

I suppose it is back to the solicitor to find out how to register for these taxes and how to pay them .

Mark

Like 0      
14 Jan 2008 7:06 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Don't forget if the property is in joint names you will both have to complete a form for your half share of the property.

I pay my solicitor to deal with my Suma and wealth tax etc, it costs around 75e a year as the property is in my sole name.

I know I can do it myself but at the moment I can't be bothered.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2008 8:57 AM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

Your annual non-resident tax return is filed in the year following any year of ownership. Where a property has not been owned for the entire year the tax can be adjusted to reflect the period of ownership.

Tax is payable irrespective of whether you are paying local rates or not. In the province of Alicante this is devolved to Suma who effectively administer payment of, inter alia, municipal taxes for the various town halls in the province. However, not all town halls deal with taxes in this way preferring to maintain local administration. In any event, irrespective of where your property is located once you begin to pay local rates your annual non-resident wealth tax return may differ slightly as the catastral value can be used as a basis for calculation to a certain extent.

Until that time the return the return should nonetheless still be filed. Lawyers, accountants or gestors should be able to arrange this on an owners behalf for a modest annual fee.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What's the rental market like in the Marbella/Puerto Banus/Calahonda areas? - 10 posts
Problems with electricity - 26 posts
money leaving my account without my permission - 7 posts
Anyone recommend independent solicitor? - 12 posts
HELP!! SINGLE MUM PLANNING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Wanted long term let in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Compulsary Solar Panels on New Builds and Renovations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 8 posts
Licence Notice - 0 posts
Inheritance tax, does anyone know this company? - 7 posts
Birthday? - 4 posts
Not Justin's birthday AGAIN, is it ? - 8 posts
MASA ...unrepentant after illegally selling house twice - 4 posts
Small steps...but things move forward - 9 posts
Easyjet Sale - 4 posts
I need properties in Elviria for holiday rentals - 0 posts
aldea beach 1 & 11 - 0 posts
Patio/Garden Furniture Required - 0 posts
Please welcome Cliffyrmd - 41 posts
10 year guarantee - 1 posts
Novo Arcos Town Houses - 3 posts
Wanted - 0 posts
Looking fro long term rental - 1 posts
Home demolished in Vera - 357 posts
Wanted 1,2 & 3 bed properties for long term rent in the Duquesa Area - 1 posts
Market St. restaurant, San Miguel, CB - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x