Anyone recommend independent solicitor?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Naj73 Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi All,

I am due to complete on my property through Atlas and they are recommending I use Aroca. I have bought in Almoradi near Torrevieja. I would like to know if its worth going with an independent solicitor rather than Aroca as Ive heard they can take a long time with the title deeds amongst other things.Can anyone tell me what percentage Aroca charge and what are the charges in comparison to an independent solicitor in the area.  Finally can someone recommend a solicitor please? I am very grateful for any help!

Regards

Najma.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2008 9:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

NO ONE should use a lawyer recommended to them by their agent. If push comes to shove that lawyer will favour the agent. They should work for you !! Your lawyer should be totally independant.

Try María Jesús Zaragoza Peréz  C/. San Miguel Nº 11 (just up near Bargain Books)  San Miguel de Salinas. 965 720 806 / 965 720 448  English spoken. Abogada - Solicitor. Email her on mjzaragoza0709@yahoo.es  

Or Jose Costa Medrano & Cristina Ines Costa Medrano  C/.Galant Delgado, 11 (opposite The Policia Local)  966 723 027 costamedrano@yahoo.es - Solicitors, Lawyers - Abogadas Asesoria Juridica, Laboral y Fiscal, English spoken.

Eugenio Viudes Rodríguez  Lawyer eugenio@westmed-es.com    http://www.westmed-es.com/ingl%E9s/index_in.htm Torrevieja

Pedro J. Munuera Suances Lawyer pedro@westmed-es.com    http://www.westmed-es.com/ingl%E9s/index_in.htm Torrevieja

http://www.ricorabogados.com/ in Torrevieja

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/12/2008.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 11:19 PM by James Lynch Star rating in Bracknell. 20 posts Send private message

Help required please.

There are many of us in the same position. In Aug 2005 I placed a deposit along with many other either before of after this date. It was on a develpment in Estepona. Estepona Beach and Country Club. Our contract says that the development should of been completed in Dec 2007. To date not a single brick has been laid or any work carried out. There is no licence and the marketing company and the developer have joint control on which was approx £26 million of investors money. Some people have transferred to other ongoing developments and no one that I know of has manged to get a refund as yet. It has been blamed of the Marbella money laundering and the fact that licences are not given out. I have requested a full refund but am told they are not in a position to refund????

I now feel the time is to contact a solicitor. Does anyone know if this is common practice to have peoples money for 2.5 years before getting licence. I have 70k invested just as a deposit and so do many of my other contacts. I no longer wish to be involved with this project as the development should of been completed.

Do you think we would have a case? Would we go for the marketing agent who took the money or the developer?  Would it be best to use a Spainsh Solicitor or English... I know that we are all worried that we will lose our deposits so we hope to get together and fight as one. Would a Solicitor take on many cases as a block and reduce the costs of going to court and what could we hope to get back. Interest? Court costs?

Please help if you are in the know or have experienced something yourself. We cannot go on waiting .. there has to be a limit on how long a developer can take to get a licence while holding on to vast sums of money.

Many Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Regards

James

Please help if you can

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 11:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi James

Contact Maria, lawyer on EOS forum, for advice.

Email her on mldecastro@costaluzlawyers.es     or    marialuisa@costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. De Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 9:27 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Najma

Never, never, never use the solicitor recommended by the Agent.

We too bought through Atlas, but we used an independent solicitor.

Atlas were NOT happy with us for doing this and even got one of the "big" bosses to try and dissuade us.

You may even fine it will be cheaper, Atlas after all, take commission from everything they recommend.

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 3:56 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Najima, Use an independant lawyer and not one connected to Atlas. Lawyers charge between 1 and 1.5% of the purchase price, some negotiate and usually request 50% up front.

James - whilst not uncommon to be waiting 2.5 yearsfor a development, these people are holding onto your deposits and spending them - you need to move fast. You are entitled to your money back with interest although this will depend on the contract you signed.

I wuld recommend contacting Maria de Castro on this forum - she has been successful in similar cases, is not frighteded of upsetting others and is quite tenacious.

Good luck and please let us know how you go on.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 9:48 PM by James Lynch Star rating in Bracknell. 20 posts Send private message

Thanks Rixxy.

Will keep you informed. Thanks for info.

J

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 7:56 PM by Lawyers Star rating in Orihuela. 7 posts Send private message

Lawyers´s avatar
Hello, Najma.

Do you mind telling us the name of the complex where you have bought?

Regards,

Manuel.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2008 4:11 PM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

i would take the advice given, do NOT use these solicitors, they were the solicitors recommended by Iberian and used by friends of ours when they bought on the same complex,. They were charged 3 times the amount we were even though our apartment was more expensive. The horror stories about them are numerous, they charge what they like and don't apparently have any charge structure at all. Other friends changed to an independant solicitor during their purchase, at first they wouldn't even acknowledge any of their e-mails, then they told them they were going to act anyway and that they would have two sets of fees to pay. Personally I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. 

Like 0      
02 Feb 2008 4:11 PM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

i would take the advice given, do NOT use these solicitors, they were the solicitors recommended by Iberian and used by friends of ours when they bought on the same complex,. They were charged 3 times the amount we were even though our apartment was more expensive. The horror stories about them are numerous, they charge what they like and don't apparently have any charge structure at all. Other friends changed to an independant solicitor during their purchase, at first they wouldn't even acknowledge any of their e-mails, then they told them they were going to act anyway and that they would have two sets of fees to pay. Personally I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. 

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 6:03 PM by moondancer Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Try this lady sami@spainsolicitors.com. She works for an independent firm of solicitors in Cartagena. Is that any where near you? Hope this helps!

Like 0      
21 May 2008 2:51 PM by pteire Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Seek a TRULY INDEPENDANT lawyer, and do not be conned into paying part by bank draft and part in cash.
If you look at the thread 'Atlas again' you'll see why. We bought in August 2006, from San Jose, Via Atlas, and using Aroca. We paid for the property in full, but in the manner I describe above, and have still not received our title deeds. Some issues have come to light which suggest 'questionable' procedures, so please do not fall into the same trap as we did. This is just the tip of the 'berg, and I would hazard a guess that there will be major consequences in the near future. The fidelity of several entities could be seriously damaged, and it is my hope that the Spanish Government, and Bar Association, will become involved. 

Once they have YOUR HARD EARNED CASH, you will cease to be of interest to ANY and ALL of the parties involved. If they take you to a Notary, PLEASE ASK EXACTLY WHAT is being formally 'notified'. It MY not be what you think. If your builder is SAN JOSE, there are strong suggestions that the company could be in some financial upheaval. PLEASE TAKE CARE!

Like 0      
21 May 2008 4:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
pteire welcome. Please be careful what you write on our forum, didn't you read the FORUM RULES ? Guess you didn't !

DON'T MENTION COMPANY OR EMPLOYEE NAMES - Please do not use the forums to complain about companies or individuals.  We are not in a position to be held liable for defamatory content on our site over which we know nothing about.  Therefore, please do not mention any company names or their staff if you have any compaints.  This is not the place to vent your anger.

You also obviously haven't seen the long thread on SAN JOSE (63 posts)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HELP!! SINGLE MUM PLANNING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Wanted long term let in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Compulsary Solar Panels on New Builds and Renovations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 8 posts
Licence Notice - 0 posts
Inheritance tax, does anyone know this company? - 7 posts
Birthday? - 4 posts
Not Justin's birthday AGAIN, is it ? - 8 posts
MASA ...unrepentant after illegally selling house twice - 4 posts
Small steps...but things move forward - 9 posts
Easyjet Sale - 4 posts
I need properties in Elviria for holiday rentals - 0 posts
aldea beach 1 & 11 - 0 posts
Patio/Garden Furniture Required - 0 posts
Please welcome Cliffyrmd - 41 posts
10 year guarantee - 1 posts
Novo Arcos Town Houses - 3 posts
Wanted - 0 posts
Looking fro long term rental - 1 posts
Home demolished in Vera - 357 posts
Wanted 1,2 & 3 bed properties for long term rent in the Duquesa Area - 1 posts
Market St. restaurant, San Miguel, CB - 2 posts
Dona Isabel's, San Miguel, CB - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP OUR ADMINISTRATOR HAS RESIGNED JUST BEFORE OUR AGM - 3 posts
Disney in Spain - 13 posts
Passport length - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x