Home demolished in Vera

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Got sent this today which appeared in The Entertainer Online.  It's a very sad story.  I am aware that there are many other properties in Almeria awaiting demolition.  I would really like to hear from anyone in this position to see if we can take some sort of collective action:

After living for four and a half years in a peaceful neighbourhood just
outside Vera, Almería, an elderly British couple were told today that their
house would be knocked down at 3.30pm sharp by the Junta de Andalucía.
Despite having building permission from the Vera town hall and endless
assurances from their lawyer, the pensioned couple were warned two weeks ago
that their house would be demolished as it did not suit the Junta de
Andalucía's draconian building plans for Almería. This morning, the power
and water were cut, followed by a visit from the Guardia Civil, and
neighbours were obliged to join in emptying the home before the bulldozers arrived.
Promptly at 3.30pm. The owner was taken ill at one point and a doctor had to
be called. But where will they sleep? They had put all their savings into
their home.

In a grotesque coincidence, their garage and garden-shed were spared - they
were on a different building permit.

There are other houses nearby - often, as here, owned by British nationals.

From The Entertainer Online

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 2:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.theentertaineronline.com/news.php

Yes, I followed the story, it's really sad, Justin.

Also here http://spanishshilling.blogspot.com/

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 2:55 PM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

I cant begin to imagine  how they feel, it must have been hearbreaking to watch a dream crumble in front of them. How can people be treated in this cruel and heartless way.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 3:08 PM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

Absolutely disgusting. Can you imagine the reaction if it happened to a similar Spanish couple in the UK?

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 4:12 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I think this is abominable.   What on earth happens to that poor couple now do they find them somewhere else to live, they must get compensationor am I being stupid thinking that.  Pat

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 4:17 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Absolutely unbelievable!!!!

Any comments from agents in the area?? Agree with you Fly, would be uproar if it happened here!!

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 4:19 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

unfortunately not pat and roy,they wont get any compensation,in the eyes of the law and the town hall they have broken the law and so they will have to face the consequences.

I know its not right but it does happen.

One of my best friends is in the exact same situation and has been fighting this for 5 years,you wouldn't beleive what it has done to his health and family.

Fortunately now there are ways to avoid this if you know the checks to make.

The one good thing about the housing market now is that cases like these have made town halls tighten their restrictions,most of the local government have taken power away from the local mayors in an effort to eradicate corruption.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 5:24 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

But it says that they had building permission from the Vera Town Council!!!

Totally disgusting, especially given that the land grab is currently at a halt in the Valencia region and many other builds are to be legalised in other provinces (source: another forum). It is a little bit too close to home for my liking, especially as we are only just down the road in Puerto Rey!!

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 7:06 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Yes Mark you are right it does say they had building permission l would like the views of the legal experts on here how can the garage and garden be alright but the house is not if it was all on the plans and permission was granted and the water and electric connected this is disgusting and really lets Spain down that they can do this to pensioners it really shows how crap  and corrupt the Spanish (ha ha ) legal system is. if the town hall gave permission as the areas legal represetatives This couple should be compensated every penny plus all expences and interest the would have got on there money plus thousands extra for the pain and suffering this has caused them plus the town hall shoule re-house them and that still would not be enough.As someone with property there and wanting to settle in Spain myself l find this absolutely unbelieveable that a so called friendly and just country can allow this,how can Spain and there so called government live with this sort of injustice.l repeat it is absolutely disgusting and totally  unjustified to treat people like that. ultimate shame on Spain and all those who support these acts, even Trevor Macdonald could not have made this one up.Spain and all he legal people there get your act together FAST.Regards a very disappointed Pat.  

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 10:21 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

It is so sad. Spain is a developed western european country. How can this kind of thing happen? Sounds they are worse than ex-soviet union countries and people say do not buy there because they do not have a mature legal system.

Can anyone explain to my how it happend. Did this couple obtained building permission illegitamately at first place without knowing?

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 10:34 PM by Margo Star rating in London/Duquesa. 298 posts Send private message

I wonder if the UK National Press would be interested in this as a story? it sounds like there ought to be a stink made about this. Poor people, my heart goes out to them. It must be devastating.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 11:05 PM by axwhale Star rating in Kent. 39 posts Send private message

I also feel so sorry for the couple that had their home demolished. There are lots of us in the same situation with  deemed illegal builds  me included, everyones situation is slightly different but I feel the legal system , the town halls and Spain have let us all down with their cavalier attitudes to peoples lives. A lot of the people in similar situations were lied to and mislead all the way and all these people wanted was the "money"  greed it all boild down to greed.

I feel so angry about this whole affair.

Perhaps the Primeminister / or President of Spain could put them up as they have no home now.!!!!   How would they like it  or these useless solicitors that don't do their jobs properly. Think we'll have to go and camp or squat in their homes.

axwhale

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 8:08 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

Daily mail article

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 1/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 9:58 AM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

I really wish i hadnt clicked on daily mail as it tore the heart right out of me to see the distress it has caused these poor people who have done no wrong. Surely the british government can step up to stop the likes of this happening again. I love spain and the people here and we brits have made th country richer by being here, surely we deserve to be treated with a BIT of respect.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 10:13 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

May I ask what was wrong posting The Daily Mail link.?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 10:26 AM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

It is good that the british press are running articles on ex-pats in spain.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 10:32 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

That's what I thought.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 11:28 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

"May I ask what was wrong posting The Daily Mail link.?"

I don't know Fly. It's all there though if you click on the blue link. Daily mail article
I was devastated to see such torment. That couple could've been any of us, couldn't they ?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 11:35 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I don't think there was anything "wrong" with the link - it's just that the EOS team have "shortened" the text so you just click on "Daily Mail article", instead of the whole url.

Extremely sad and maddening situation.  Cannot even begin to imagine what those two people are going through right now.  Can't believe it actually happened - or was allowed to happen!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 1/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 11:36 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

Sorry - my mistake.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted 1,2 & 3 bed properties for long term rent in the Duquesa Area - 1 posts
Market St. restaurant, San Miguel, CB - 2 posts
Dona Isabel's, San Miguel, CB - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP OUR ADMINISTRATOR HAS RESIGNED JUST BEFORE OUR AGM - 3 posts
Disney in Spain - 13 posts
Passport length - 9 posts
hola everybody - 2 posts
San Blas Tenerife - 1 posts
Andalucian Delegation Association for the Defence of Home Owners - 0 posts
3 bed - long term rental required. - 0 posts
taxis at san javier airport - 4 posts
Introduction - 5 posts
calanovaseagolf - 5 posts
Wanted property to buy minimum of two bedrooms. - 1 posts
bringing a jet ski from Uk to Spain - 0 posts
house insurance - 16 posts
Wanted - Holiday rental for July - Aug 08 Sleep 6 to 8 - 2 posts
The Buzz of spain - 6 posts
Contract Ts & Cs - Cancellations - comments - 1 posts
Things for Kids to do in Denia? - 2 posts
Nationwide Flex a/c - 43 posts
Airports set to ease bags limit - 8 posts
Newquay to Alicante - Another option for those in the Southwest - 2 posts
Part Exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 358

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x