State of the Rentals Market

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by alanjfrost Star rating in Sussex and Calahonda. 15 posts Send private message

We are shortly due to complete on a two bed/two bath apartment in Princess Park, Calahonda and yes, we are among the many suckers who thought that investing in an off-plan Spanish property was the answer to the abysmal performance of pension funds. Wait for a couple of years and then turn it for a nice profit. That was three years ago and how things have changed! Having totally depressed myself reading about the sales market, the only option seems to be to rent and hope that the market will sort itself out.

This is an excellent site and I've learned so much, but I haven't found any comments about the state of the rentals market, either short- or long-term. There are a couple of very good articles on short-term and long-term letting, but neither gives any indication of whether business is good or if a zillion owners are chasing a small bucket of tenants. With so many apartments and houses standing empty, surely that must result in many more owners entering the rentals market?

On the same subject, can anyone recommend a good property management company that would also handle the advertising, bookings, etc? My agent is steering me towards Bridge Holmes International - any comments?

Alan

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 12:40 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Dont know Bridge Holmes - might be good - there is one down in Elviria that I have had favourable comments about - think they are quite expensive though but at the same time very reliable. Frequently here you get what you pay for. Elviria is only 5 minutes away from the Calahonda cambio if you dont know. Thus relatively close by for inspections etc.

Speak to Sarah Dignan sarah@propertysolutions.es or 952 839 826 . I would say tell her that Patrick Robinson said to contact them but someone might accuse me of getting a commission which I dont so you had better not mention it.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 6:14 PM by lewjan62 Star rating in West Sussex / Casare.... 134 posts Send private message

lewjan62´s avatar

we used property solutions in Elviria for our apartment on Casares Costa.

They did not get us any bookings for an entire year!

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 10:49 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

Alan

I'm in the process of buying off plan and have been advised not to be too reliant on turning too much of a profit. I hope you have at least made some profit albeit not enough to retire on yet?

On the rental side, many of my friens who do rent say that they have built up a good customer base by renting to colleagues, using word of mouth and advertising themselves. Much cheaper than paying someone else to do it, why let them make all the money.

Phil

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 11:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We couldn't rent our flat out for the first 18 months as we were still on builders electric and water which are prone to cuts quite often.  We could have laid ourselves open to all sorts if people had paid for a holiday and had it ruined by not utilities.

We went with a rental company for the next year and had 6 weeks out of the year rented.  After paying the rental company, utilities, community charges,cleaning  etc we were out of pocket by almost 500 euros.  Not too bad considering 500 euros a year to run a property is pretty good.

For the last year we have been renting to work colleagues, family and friends and it's been amazing how many want to go.  We reduced the amount we charged but asked them to take over their own bedding to cut down on laundry bills.  We found a lovely Spanish lady to go in and clean up between lets and she has been great.  Last year we actually made a profit, albeit only 300 euros, which has made us very happy.  It is also amazing how many of the people we rent to want to go back and we have the ideal situation of going over ourselves whenever we want to.  We only charge a 100 euros a week from people we know which covers utility bills and cleaning etc but it means we cover our costs of running the place.  If we had to pay a mortgage on it we would, obviously, be well out of pocket now.  Virtually all the houses in our area are for holiday lets which means the competition is vast and most places seem empty when we visit, except maybe for July and August.

I would suggest a very good letting company if you want to make a profit out of it and pay your mortgage but, as I said, the competition is very high . I am talking of the south Costa Blanca area.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2007 7:11 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

A word of warning to anyone letting their holiday homes via an Agency.

This week whilst we were here in Spain, one of our neighbours "turned up" for a short break, only to find that when they opened their apartment, other people's "gear" was inside! They had been trying to contact their Agent by phone and E-mail the previous week to see if the aprtment was free for them to come over, without success, so they just turned up. They then had to pay to rent out a neighbour's apartment..........!!

When they asked resident neighbours about when their aprtment had been occupied, they found that the dates the Agent had given them for rentals, didn't match with the dates of occupation the neighbours had witnessed!  The Agent had been letting it out and pocketing the money...........how VERY dare they!

I am not saying that all Agencies are in this scam, most I am sure are reputable and honest, but there are some unscrupulous people out there, it DOES happen, so be warned.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
06 Jan 2007 1:30 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

I wonder what leonard had to say...what dear, me dear, you dear..how dare you turn up without telling me!!! 

Seriously as my first summer is approaching as an owner and possible lessee I have been worried that this might or could happen...i wonder how prevelant the problem is.

Does anybody have any tips to safequard against this.???

john

Regards

John

Like 0      
06 Jan 2007 3:19 PM by jool25 Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

When we purchased our apartment our agent advised us that if we were going to let the apartment it would be best use at least 2 letting agencies so that they have to check in with each other when they let it as this problem is quite common in Spain.  Seems like good advice to me.

Julie 

Like 0      
06 Jan 2007 5:58 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I've just bought in South Costa Blanca and was told that the rentals market was wonderful - now you've all got me worried!!  I have a deal that the rental agency pay the first year's mortgage in return for the peak 16 weeks but am hoping that it is rented for the rest of the year too.  Having read your comments will seriously look at renting to colleagues and maybe even trying an ad in local Golf Clubs as I'm on a Golf Estate.

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone - I still feel such a novice at this game!!

Claire

Like 0      
07 Jan 2007 7:57 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Lytton good to know someone in the forum actuallu has experience with property solutions but I have to say Elviria is a long way from Casares and if it had been me I probably would have used someone more local. I have friends who used them and seem to have been happy.

Fibbys point about dodgy agents is very valid - this is certainly not the first time it has happened and to be sure it wont be the last.  

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Jan 2007 5:20 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
The other way with regards to rental agents is to ensure they have a live database you can moniter as well - it means you can keep a check on whats happening and can also make your own bookings. One such agency that do both management and rentals is www.inderix.com person there is Debbie and they have been in business for many years. Also they are legal! Good luck

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 6:55 PM by bill marshall Star rating in newcastle/upon/tyne/.... 42 posts Send private message

hello can anyone tell me if you can get insurance cover and rent without the  L F O  thanks bill marshall

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 9:02 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar
No, no, no you cannot rent without an LFO, it is illegal.
Just read some of the 'posts' by Rixxy and Maria de Castro.
I believe since May 2007 it has been made law that Notaries are not allowed to finalise a purchase without an LFO in place. It is illegal.
You should not be even contemplating buying without the LFO.
Read some of the nightmare stories of not being permitted to connect to mains water or electricity without it. Do not be fooled that builders supply is the answer, again read the stories on here. If the builder goes bust before the full LFO is granted how will you ever get the LFO? How will you ever sell it without an LFO? It is vital you have one. Your solicitor is obviously in cahoots with the builder and is telling you lies or does not know the law. You should be changing lawyers now. Definitely.
Do not be so eager to sign. It is madness. You could lose everything. The builder could be on the brink of bankruptcy and just trying to get as much money in as possible?

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 12:19 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bill, I've already told you that you can get insurance cover (as indeed we did & we hadn't a LFO for two years almost). However, I've also told you that to complete without a LFO is not the way to go. You would be living there illegally. Builders can, & have been known to, cut off the supply of water & electricity to your property or charge whatever they want. Our builder cut our earlier phase off re water as he demanded more money. After three days in July without water the phase had to give in & cough up. He demanded extra money off our phase so we opted to all pay what he wanted as he was obviously going to cut us off too if we didn't.

You'll be at your builder's mercy & if you think you're hard done to now, your problems could be far worse in time without the certicate.

Our friends did sell without a LFO actually very recently though I don't know how. Maybe their buyer's lawyer wasn't too careful.

As you know we are here to help so please take heed. If you opt to complete without the LFO you could be in serious trouble.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2008 8:25 PM by Esteruca Star rating in Costa del Sol. 64 posts Send private message

I don´t ask clients to let me know when they are coming to make use of there houses. That way if I am making a booking I have to let them know first and they decided if take it or not. May be that helps to control what is going on at your property. GOOD LUCK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ross Legal Services - 3 posts
Developer fees - 3 posts
Spanish Retreat Security, Reduce crime! - 0 posts
Security in the Costa Blanca area - 4 posts
Benahavis - 0 posts
Happy New Year to Justin & The Team & all the Forum Members! - 1 posts
Monte Selwo Up-date - 7 posts
Architects/Project managers/Builders - 4 posts
Contracts - 3 posts
Banks or Bandits - 6 posts
When you cant complet - 8 posts
MRI experiences please - 5 posts
Air Conditioning Best Buy - 3 posts
HiFX problems, delays transferring money - 56 posts
New messages on El Rincon Costa Blanca Development Forum - 0 posts
Have you visited Malaga yet? - 4 posts
spanish bank charges - 24 posts
Telefonica & Broadband - 7 posts
NEW LOW COST AIRLINE TO ALMERIA - 20 posts
Sorry another question - 0 posts
Pets in apartments - 5 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - 20 posts
Making a Will - 3 posts
Property owners at Roda - 4 posts
La Recoleta - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x