spanish bank charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

we have just transferred money to our spanish bank via swiftbic transfer. we have received a statement from our spanish bank who have taken 3% of the full amount as "FEES". is this normal  practice or are we being "RIPPED OFF".      

coolyes

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 12:47 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi,

I transferred money in November to our Spanish Bank account - Bankinter.

They did not take any commission.

I do however, pay a yearly account charge of €22.50 and every 2 years there is an amount taken for administration tax for non residents.

I would question this 3% charge with your bank.

Sometimes, if you complain, you get a refund, just like the UK banks.

Give it a go!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 3:01 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think most banks charge a fee to receive a transfer but 3% sounds a bit extortionate to me.  I would certainly talk to them about it.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 3:40 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi, Yes we transferred quite a bit of money for our last payment with HIFX and did not get charged anything from the Bank of Valencia, but I did ask the question before we transferred.  I do know you get charged an annual fee as Fibby says. But I would query it with the Bank good luck Pat 

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 5:17 PM by fox34 Star rating in Kent and Guardamar . 28 posts Send private message

Hi,

We use Moneycorp.  They charge a flat transfer fee of £15 I think and you dont get any charges in Spain because it goes via ?Madrid.  You get a slightly higher Euro rate than a bank, depending on how much you are transferring.

There are probably much better ways of doing this but we have found them to be very good.

Karen

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 5:34 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

Question the 3%, that does not sound correct, ask to see the contract you have made when the account was first set up and let them prove to you it has a 3% fee for putting money in your account.

I use Currencies Direct they charge £15 on minimum £2500 to £4999 and £5000 upwards no fee. I think the rate for £5000 + is better as well. I was getting 1.47 ish when the interbank rate was 1.48 ish and the turist rate was 1.43 ish. This was on Dec. 14th this year.

Jeff

Like 0      
27 Dec 2006 5:49 PM by Helen D Star rating in York. 48 posts Send private message

Helen D´s avatar

We used Currencies Direct as well & found them to be excellent - as manilvajl said no fee for transfers over £5000 & a better rate of interest (& service) than from our UK bank

We currently use Cajamurcia (changing to the Halifax shortly) - thank god they didn't charge 3% when we sent a shed load of money over to buy our house - would have had a heart attack! Doesn't sound right at all but have found spanish banks do charge for every little thing, hence going to the Halifax.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 10:41 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

thank you everyone who replied to my query, i will now contact my bank[bankinter} and query the charge. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.will let you all know the outcome.

coolyes

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 3:24 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Formentora Costa while 3% is extortion it is not without precedence I have a friend who got stung for 4% by a branch of CAM Bank last year when he transferred 300,000 to Spain. Got stung on the exchange rate by his bank in the Channel Islands as well. He now uses a currency broker on recommendation and saves a fortune.

I THINK (not sure on this one so you need to confirm) it has been made illegal to incure landing charges subject to certain constraints. I had a Branch Director of CAM Bank tell me this a couple of months back but it was in passing and something was lost in the translation - I think it relates to amounts either in excess of 6000€ or less than 6000€ so a great deal depends on how much you transferred. Sorry to sound vague and I will see if I can get some clarification for you.

Rgds 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 3:42 PM by hayjude Star rating in marple,cheshire& n. .... 54 posts Send private message

Hi.Just transferred 152000 Euros via Currencies Direct to Cambank.Spoke to bank who told me a % of 0.2would be charged. However if i instructed C.D to transfer in 4lots of under 50000 there wuold be no charge.This charge is only applied on amounts of 50000 & over .C.D agreed to do this with written instructions.Hope this is useful as it is not hearsay ,but i did it today

Best wishes Haydn & Judy (leaving on Jan2 to await completion wheneveron Los Olivos Huerta Nueva)

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 3:49 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Haydn well done you have asked the question first before doing the deal. So many people do first and ask afterwards when they find some discrepancy when it is hard to do anything about it. At the end of the day you cannot undo the transaction. I still need to find out whether this 6000€ ruling is illegal or not but hopefully your advice will reinforce the recommendation to ask first.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 5:55 PM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Re the 3% charge from Bankinter are you sure it was 3% & not 0.3%. I did not open an a/c with them, but I did have some details including a tarrif sheet from them 12m ago. They list 0.3% as the charge for receiving funds into the account & not 3%. An error somewhere!!!!!

Like 0      
29 Dec 2006 11:30 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

hi john, you are perfectly right, we contacted the bank and they have rectified the problem. the charge should have been 0.3% and not 3%. thank you all for your help and advice.      

coolyes

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 12:39 AM by lyndonthompson Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I'm reading this thread because I've just logged onto my account with unicaja which I set up in December with 50 euros.

To my great shock I found that I have a balance of only 14 euros despite never actually touching it. I got a 30 euro initial fee and 6 euro initial fee. It appears that this is quite normal and I am amazed! OK, I must be a bit green but surely the bank should have explain these charges. In another few months I would have been overdrawn! Do you all pay these charges or is there a bank which doesn't charge you for lending them your money?

Also, what is the best way of depositing house buying sized sums and who has had good and bad experiences of particular companies?

Regards

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 5:47 AM by jencoo Star rating in east Yorkshire/ Daya.... 131 posts Send private message

Try the Halifax Spain. They do not make these charges and if you have a minimum amount in your account there are no transaction charges. Free transfers from the Halifax UK are also available.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 9:07 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Whilst the Halifax looks to be a good account, don't forget you need to open it with a 600€.

Mark

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 9:12 AM by lyndonthompson Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 9:26 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi

When we were buying our property we transferred the large amounts using Moneycorp. We have Halifax accounts in the UK and Spain but find that the exchange rate isn't as good as with Moneycorp. It'll cost you nothing to check them out.

Regards

Irene

Like 0      
21 Mar 2008 7:13 PM by KarenDavid Star rating in Berkshire and Vera P.... 122 posts Send private message

We can recommend Moneycorp, (after reading about on EOS).  They were really helpful.  We emailed them, state when you want to be contacted to discussand they called exactly on time!   We purchased a large amount of Euros at a better rate than we could get anywhere else (even other brokers) and the money was in our account in Spain in 24hours.  Excellent service.  Have a look on their website www.moneycorp.com

www.freewebs.com/casaella

Like 0      
24 Mar 2008 2:53 PM by somanyolives Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi Very new to this as just completing purchase of house. Lyndonthompson mentions Unicaja they have told us as long as we don't transfer more than €50000 at a time there will not be any charges. However to open the account there is a charge of €15 per account holder to check we are not money laundering and a small charge for account running can't remember how much. Hope this helps. bye

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Telefonica & Broadband - 7 posts
NEW LOW COST AIRLINE TO ALMERIA - 20 posts
Sorry another question - 0 posts
Pets in apartments - 5 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - 20 posts
Making a Will - 3 posts
Property owners at Roda - 4 posts
La Recoleta - 2 posts
FibbyUk's document - Paying taxes in Spain (Non Residents) - 18 posts
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! - 11 posts
amputees in coata blanca, north - 0 posts
Agents for rentals - 1 posts
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year - 0 posts
Working from home in Spain - 4 posts
Corruption - 2 posts
property in Tenerife - 0 posts
What happened to the OTHER thread ? i thought there were TWO on here before ! - 0 posts
Artificial Grass - Good Idea or not? - 0 posts
Spanish builders - 2 posts
Fuente Aloha, Nueva Andelucia - 5 posts
Condes de Iza - 0 posts
Iznajar - Cordoba - 5 posts
Monarch new route - Gatwick to Murcia from May 2007 - 12 posts
IVA on Bank Guarantees - 0 posts
Select Properties Spain SL - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x