Check your passport signature!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2023 4:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

At Luton airport while boarding an Easyjet flight, my Wife was asked to sign her passport at the gate. Now, she has had her passport 6 years, has been around the World with it and to several different Schengen countries, including Spain, twice!! Not sure how a passport would be issued without a signature in place, not sure why it hasn't been picked up before and not sure how legal/ valis it is to sign the document with a biro?? Apparently the airline was fined recently for passengers travelling with no signature, so it is a check to be made before you travel maybe?

Like 0      
30 Apr 2023 9:59 AM by chris 2477 Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

Recently received new passport. Documentation sent with the passport tells you to sign the passport straight away with a biro in black ink.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2023 2:24 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Must be different to mine then as my signature is under the clear film applied to the picture page. Starnge how the wife's hasn't been picked up over the previous years though.

Like 0      
01 May 2023 6:17 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Who owns a British passport? The person who it was issued to or the government that issued it.

Like 0      
01 May 2023 8:48 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

The passport remains the property of the government which issued it. Without looking, I think it says that on one of the pages in the passport.

Like 0      
01 May 2023 10:00 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Thank you mariedav. Do establishments like hotels in Spain still insist you surrender the UK governments passport to them?

Like 0      
02 May 2023 10:11 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I think most countries ask you to hand in the passport to start with and then return it next day. Certainly ships do as they have so many to deal with at one go.

However, residents in Spain with a TIE don't need a passport at hotels anymore, simply take a swipe of the TIE card and that's it. Just spent a few days at a hotel in Altea and they just recorded the NIE number. As those renting out short term have to record those staying with the Guardia then I imagine hotels have to do the same.

Certainly had to hand in our passports in the US and Italy recently but got them back the next day. 

Like 0      
10 Jun 2023 6:37 PM by JamesHenders Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's definitely important to double-check your passport signature before traveling. As for signing it with a biro, I'm not entirely sure about the legal aspect, but if the airline requested it, it's likely a valid solution. Thanks for the heads up about the fine too, I'll definitely make sure my passport is signed properly before my next trip.

Like 1      
12 Jun 2023 10:02 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

for signing it with a biro, I'm not entirely sure about the legal aspect,...What else would you sign it with then? I know of no one who uses an ink filled pen, even authorities don't it seems now.

Like 1      
12 Jun 2023 4:57 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

How to sign your passport

Sign your new passport as soon as you get it. You can’t use it until you do.

Sign on the ‘holder’s signature’ line using a black ballpoint pen.

You don’t need to sign your new passport if:

• You’re aged 11 or under
  • You can’t sign because of a disability

The passport will show ‘the holder is not required to sign’ on the page with your name and photo on it.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2023 11:19 AM by timothyferriss Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

It's important for a passport to have a valid signature as it is one of the required elements for identification purposes and travel documentation.

This message was last edited by timothyferriss on 10/18/2023.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2024 12:17 PM by Donna67 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

thanks for sharing

embed

Like 0      
03 Apr 2024 9:37 AM by Ples1953 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Thank you!! for sharing this post.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2024 2:06 AM by averagestudent Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for sharing 

Like 0      
04 Apr 2024 2:06 AM by averagestudent Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for sharing 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Does deed name change need to be made on selling? - 5 posts
AFAs, DAFAs or SAFAs - 1 posts
The Wanderer pauses - 0 posts
Question for Maria. How long can Spanish courts hold claimants monies and what are the rules governing interim interest? - 13 posts
Autonomo and foreign income (from France) - 4 posts
Recommended builders - 0 posts
Hello - 7 posts
Banco de Espana average exchange rates for 2022 - 3 posts
Corvera - 7 posts
Land rental - 0 posts
Spanish Will - 2 posts
Golden visas and UK driving licence - 24 posts
water pipe - 1 posts
Mijas Costa - Administrator with excelent property management skills required - 1 posts
Recommendations for community chimney survey and sweep - 0 posts
Spanish Banks??!! - 4 posts
visa - 1 posts
Why is my TV in Spanish? - 4 posts
moving to spain - 13 posts
Мacaciones en mallorca - 3 posts
mercadona orange juice machines - 2 posts
End of Hits Mobile - 0 posts
MS driving in Spain - 6 posts
3% retention tax rules - 8 posts
Structural Issue - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x