moving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2023 7:47 PM by pete.d Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi, my name is Peter and my wife and I are thinking of retiring to Spain.  Can anyone tell me if we can live on 1373 euros a month including rent?  Look forward to hearing from anyone.  Thanks a lot.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2023 8:34 PM by dcp21 Star rating in Mold. 26 posts Send private message

You will need to elaborate on your question. Are you both UK passport holders? Would you be considering a Non-lucrative visa? If you're answering yes to both then you should try a search on google. The basic Non-lucrative requirement last year was an income of circa 35.000€ to qualify. I believe this has increased this year. There is also the golden visa which you can google

Like 0      
15 Feb 2023 11:49 AM by pete.d Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello

Thanks for your feedback.  My wife and i both have UK passports and if we are able to live on 1373 euros then we will be applying for a non lucrative visa.  

Look forward to hearing from you.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2023 12:40 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

You must have some idea of what you are going to do concerning buying or renting with weekly bills etc, so why not get an A4 sheet of paper, put down every item you can think of paying for, every month, deduct that total from the 1373 euros you know you have, any money left over, happiness, no money left over a problem.

But I am sure you have thought of doing it that way.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2023 3:47 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Pete.D I don't think you are understanding the replies. If you are going to apply for a non lucrative visa, one of the main requirements is that you have an income or savings to the tune of 35000+ euros for the first year. Your income of 1373 per month is only half of what is needed. Unless you have a lot of savings that amount is way too small to get the non/L visa. If you apply for it without the required amount then you will be wasting about £500. Sorry if this is not the advice you want.

Like 1      
18 Feb 2023 9:06 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

As a previous poster said you will need a minimum of €35,000 per year disposable income to apply for a NLV....even if you could get a Visa that permitted you to move to Spain you would not survive on a monthly budget of €1,375 especially when you take into consideration that the monthly rent for a small apartment is approximately €500 per month...the only things that are cheaper in Spain is council tax/ cigarettes  / and none branded alcohol...food in the Spanish  supermarkets is either more expensive or the same price as the UK 🇬🇧  supermarkets. 

Like 0      
20 Feb 2023 6:21 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Windtaker, you've said similar in the past, but "....the only things that are cheaper in Spain is council tax/ cigarettes  / and none branded alcohol.." remains a massive distortion of the truth!

Actually even more so in the past 12 months - I'm having property work done in both UK & Spain currently - it would be fabulous if I could get the work done in the UK at Spanish construction costs.  It's not even close! 

The Spanish work is something like 25% of their UK counterparts and it's a darn sight simpler to get the work done in Spain.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2023 12:56 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Acer what has Spanish building work got to do with the price of food in Spanish supermarkets. 

Like 1      
23 Feb 2023 10:21 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Many of your comments in the past has been more general.  As to food shopping it depends largely on where you shop - tend to use a combination of Mercadona and a covered market facility in Spain for fruit & veg - better and a lot cheaper than Tesco's. 

Some fruit & veg is becoming short in supply in the UK, which won't be helping prices too much either!

Like 0      
23 Feb 2023 9:21 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Acer could you and your partner live comfortably on €1,373 minus €500:per month rent... this would leave you with €823 per month to pay for IBI / Electricity  / Water /Rubbish tax /Food  for the month...what advice would you give the original poster...Bearing in mind they are not interested in how much a bucket of sand cost and how much cheaper Spanish builders are. 

This message was last edited by windtalker on 2/24/2023.

Like 1      
24 Feb 2023 11:05 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I have a couple of friends in Spain who I do know for a fact have 1500 euros a month pension between husband and  wife, sure no rent to pay out, and these are okay, approx 375 euros a week, where Spain gets its high minimum amount you are supposed to have , approx 673 euros a week, seems strange considering their basic state pension seems to be around 900 euros a month, maybe the poster is only telling of monthly income and have much in reserve.

Many British people are expected to live on not much more with state pensions, and believe it or not living in the UK is now getting to be diabolically high. 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2023 10:56 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Baz1946 could a couple pay all the bills electric/ IBI / Suma / Food and so on  and live comfortably with only €205 per week in Spain. ..this is the amount the original poster would have left after paying the monthly rent.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 2/25/2023.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2023 6:19 PM by Brandt456 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by Brandt456 on 4/27/2023.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 4/28/2023 8:03:00 AM.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2023 11:16 AM by timothyferriss Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Retiring in Spain can be a wonderful option for many people due to its   pleasant climate, culture, and lifestyle. 

retro bowl

This message was last edited by timothyferriss on 10/18/2023.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Мacaciones en mallorca - 3 posts
mercadona orange juice machines - 2 posts
End of Hits Mobile - 0 posts
MS driving in Spain - 6 posts
3% retention tax rules - 8 posts
Structural Issue - 1 posts
Cachorros de caniche disponibles para adopción gratuita - 0 posts
diagnosing oven fault - 1 posts
How do I upload photos to sell my property? - 3 posts
Court action against decision at AGM - 4 posts
Spam - 8 posts
airport transfer to hotel - 3 posts
Taking a dog to Europe for 2 days - 1 posts
New Won cases 2022 by CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
New Car Warranty….rights - 7 posts
Spain to apply to the EU for the abolition of the 90 / 180 rule for British citizens - 43 posts
Legal - 7 posts
Working in Spain after retiring? - 3 posts
Recommend me an inflatable hot tub - 5 posts
Form 210 - 0 posts
Post Apartment Fire - Technical Report person - 1 posts
Covid entry restrictions lifted - 9 posts
New Rules on Plus Valia - 4 posts
Night Vision Binoculars. - 2 posts
7 Important Changes to Long-Term Visas in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x