Lack of British holiday makers on the Costas

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Aug 2022 2:07 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I can't help but notice the absence  of British citizens on holiday on the the Costa ..especially the Costa Blanca ...even the usal British/ Irish bars are void of customers. 

This message was last edited by windtalker on 8/15/2022.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2022 2:20 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I have not long been back, plane full out and back, airports out and back packed, struggled to get a seat without booking in one or two restaurants, couple of shopping centres both busy, bars that we saw were busy, perhaps area to area differed that much.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2022 4:14 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Really? Packed around here with Brits. Hotels on the Costa Blanca are saying they are full at the moment. Quite difficult to find a table in the restaurants around here. OK, lots of other nationalities but the Brits are definitely in the majority and all the houses on our community, mainly owned by Brits among others, are chocka bloc at the moment.

Airport reporting record number of flights and passengers coming in with many more from UK this year.

Benidorm has once again been "discovered" by the Brits and all bars and restaurants full.

Maybe the lack of hotels in Torrevieja doesn't get the actual package tour lot in (I see the hotel at La Zenia are charging 200 euro a night and have no vacancies until the end of next week and are only taking booking for 7 days or more). 

The number of tourists, not necessarily Brits, has broken the record in this area which was set in 2018. 

Maybe the amount of resources is keeping away the ones who frequented the Irish pubs and bacon and egg brigade. But definitely not a lack of them.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2022 4:58 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

51 flights into Alicante today from UK and Ireland.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2022 5:39 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The areas I am referring to is the playa flamenca  Cabo roig  Los balconies La zenia plenty of German's  Norwegians  and so forth just know  British citizens....these areas are normally  full of British  and Irish...the plane  ✈  I went over in was completely full ..so I am guessing they all went to Benidorm for the cheap  larger. 

Like 0      
15 Aug 2022 5:55 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You may be correct Windy. Maybe the Brit package holiday trade is booming but the holiday home 90/180 day non resident taxpayer has said goodbye.

Like 1      
15 Aug 2022 8:38 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

We've been packed with a lot of Scots over the last 3 weeks but their kids go back to school on Wednesday so a lot have now left. Loads of Brits arrived over the weekend, though.

Maybe right. I see Benidorm and others up the coast are reporting they are full (94% occupancy is officially full) and restauranters saying they have no tables left.

Our high street is packed and has been for weeks. Obviously I can't tell if they are Brits are not but certainly the supermarkets are full of them, albeit the Scandinavians seem to be getting more and more.

We have had 3 new and large blocks of those "eco" homes built recently. Seems like they are all being bought by Scandinavians. 

In the past, we've never really had holiday home owners who have a problem with the 90/180 rule. Most are younger families who only get limited time off work. The winter months, when the "snowbirds" usually arrive could be interesting. Used to have loads of Brits who would come out for 5 or 6 months but, of course, they can't do that now.

Also be interesting to see the wrap up of visitors they give by nationality at the end of the year.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2022 8:31 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

The cheap larger attraction may soon be coming to an end in Spain with new laws for British drinkers. The legislation targets several resorts across the Balearic Islands: Magaluf and Playa de Palma in Mallorca and San Antonio in Ibiza.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-16/magaluf-cracks-down-on-boozy-brits-with-strict-laws-to-tackle-excess-drinking

Maybe mainland Spain will follow soon starting in Benidorm. British may have their passport stamped each time they buy an alcoholic drink with a maximum consumption of 6 a day.

I'm of to Butlins

Like 0      
16 Aug 2022 10:24 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

Los Alcazares and area seemed quiet dirung the day but the usual number of people in the Ave Del Rio Nalon Square / Strip in the evening.

Flight prices from the airlines did not indicate that they were full. For many visitors in the outlying areas a car is essential and car hire costs 3/4 months ago were excessive, 1,500 Euros for a mid size car for 2 weeks.

WE hd 2 cars for the six of us with different dates, booked through do you Spain from the initial booking 6 weeks ahead to a week before I saved 200 euros by cancelling then being re-directed to the current tarrifs for the same car with the same company.

The other car through rental cars was for 2 weeks and initally I was looking at £700 but ended up with a car for 2 weeks for £370. This was a plug in hybryd Kia Ceed which was plugged in when at home, did over 770 Kms on 17.48 euros of petrol, minimal electricity costs.

Now car hire costs are back to normal rates, maybe the villa/apartment rental market will improve.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Selling property /final taxes - 0 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers won cases in 2022 - 0 posts
Electricity prices - 27 posts
Home Insurance - 7 posts
Court case costs - 3 posts
Brittany Ferries-Club Voyage Account - 0 posts
Rentals for 1 - 2 months (Gran Canaria) - advice - 1 posts
Emailing the Agencia Tributaria - 7 posts
Expediente - 2 posts
None of the others were listening - 0 posts
Inflatables in community pool - 2 posts
Buying cheap property - 2 posts
¡Contrata a un hacker profesional! - 0 posts
CostaLuz won cases so far in 2022 - 0 posts
customs duty on magazines - 6 posts
IBI and Basura - 2 posts
No escritura - 6 posts
ECB rate increase - 2 posts
Linea Directa - 3 posts
Spain Tax office - 5 posts
If you only spend 3 Months in Spain every Year.... Don't Buy....Rent - 21 posts
Going in Madrid for 3 months - 0 posts
2022 Specialized Turbo Kenevo SL Expert - 0 posts
Removing Enclosed Terrace & removing Polystyrene Ceiling tiles - 2 posts
NIE question - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x