Owned Roof Terraces vs Uso Privitivo

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2021 10:24 AM by drumsanton1973 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi all

I own an Atico apartment along with my partner with a roof terrace in Barcelona which is the roof of the 2 apartments below and the building. We have sole access as the terrace which I is split into 2 sections is accessed from our apartment. The community have a right of access for external building works or installations on the roof of our apartment.

In the deeds it says the terrace is ours but the community of owners say we need their permission to put anything onto the terrace. 

Please can someone clarify what our position is?

Thanks, Anton

Like 0      
22 Oct 2021 12:07 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

All communities are the same they have rule's even though you own the property you can't erect or build anything without the permission of the community ...this even applies to myself ..I had to apply to my community directors to have the front of my villa glazed in even though others on the  gated community have done so.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2021 12:50 PM by drumsanton1973 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your issues. 

To clarify, we asked for approval to install toldos which the community gave. They then withdrew the permission because they didn't like the toldos we installed. They also said we can't put anything like decking on the terrace. It won't be attached to anything. They say 'you can have a table, 2 chairs and a sun lounger bit nothing else'.

Any further advice?

Like 0      
22 Oct 2021 3:41 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You seem to have answered your own question.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2021 4:52 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Welcome to a Community of Owners i´m afraid..

This message was last edited by nitram on 10/22/2021.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2021 9:30 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Horizontal Property Law which governs Communities normally suggests that no changes can be made to facades without 100% approval of owners.

Civil Law which governs private use of roof terraces suggests it is private property therefore you maybe able to add whatever you wish.

Sods Law though almost suggests tossing a coin to discover which takes precedence.

Like 1      
23 Oct 2021 12:07 AM by drumsanton1973 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for your advice. Really helpful. We have to go to court now so hopefully we'll win!

Like 0      
23 Oct 2021 12:24 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Appreciate your providing an update in due course, be interesting to know.

Good luck!

Like 0      
24 Oct 2021 11:21 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

By Taking you community to court..could bring you some problems with living in this community ...the rules that are in force have usually been inforced for a reason... have you asked the community leaders why they have put a stop to people doing whatever they want without permission .. maybe they don't want the area turned into a shantytown.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2021 11:48 AM by drumsanton1973 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

That is a danger but we're hoping that the few neighbours that have agreed with the the problem neighbours in the past Will side with us eventually when they find out the truth. 

2 reasons:

1) They pay for it and don't want to have to pay for any damage caused by what we put on it

2) We have a tiny apartment with a massive terrace and awesome views

Far from it, this is a high end installation which will look like a beach club without the noise and sand! Opposite us looks like a shanty town though so I know what you mean!

@hugh_man - thanks for this. That makes sense with what we've established also. The toldos are fixed to the walls which we got approval for. Nothing else is fixed. In our opinion it's civil law which presides over the case so we will see. Thanks all

This message was last edited by drumsanton1973 on 10/24/2021.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2021 1:18 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

drumsanton1973,

What you say makes good sense and may well improve your long term relationship as it will give your neighbours the opportunity to explain themselves. 

In practice with the current bottleneck in court cases there may well be a delay, so you may find that a discussion can take place and a solution/compromise can be found before the hearing.

But positive action may be better than letting the difference of opinion fester.  Of course you will know the personalities to make the assessment.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Banking in Spain - 5 posts
Swimming pool - 6 posts
Patio door repairs - 4 posts
Desperate Hunt for suitable property - 0 posts
Spanish Legal Reclaims - 8 posts
Tax question - 8 posts
Selling property without estate agent /good Gestoria - 26 posts
Ridiculous expensive car hire prices. - 5 posts
Endesa email regarding lower tax due to high prices. - 1 posts
Community administrators - 7 posts
Blocking a rental license - 18 posts
210 Form - 4 posts
Casares - 3 posts
ending a rental contract early - 7 posts
Utilities when selling a house - 7 posts
Two months rental required Torrevieja - 1 posts
Will criminal record affect job prospects - 1 posts
parking at malaga airport - 4 posts
Villa to rent in Alicante - Costa Blanca - Spain - 0 posts
external drive vs usb - 5 posts
Form 210 - 3 posts
Cost of prescriptions issued by Spanish GP - 3 posts
Capital Gains Tax rollover relief - 1 posts
Day 2 test arriving Scotland - 1 posts
AGM - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x