Cadiz or San Fernando? Why are these not usually mentioned?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2021 10:00 AM by rozojc Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hello. So I've been browsing for a while, looking at Idealista for possible places where my wife and I could possibly by a smallish place in Spain. I was wondering, is there a reason why the area of Cadiz (or San Fernando, right across it) are not usually mentioned? What I mean is, when you search for where to buy property or where people seem to go to in Spain, usually you always get the same names over and over: Malaga and its surrounding towns, Alicante and its surrounding towns, maybe Valencia, etc. It's always like Costa Brava, or Costa Blanca or similar.

However, Costa de la Luz does not seem to be mentioned much. Looking at "Idealista", properties in that area seem to be remarkably cheap. Being in the South, having airport access (Jerez de la Frontera), with so much sun, etc, I am wondering: what am I missing? Why is this destination not mentioned so much as a possible place to buy a property?

Like 0      
30 May 2021 11:34 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It is possible that these places are mentioned less because they are less popular.

Like 0      
30 May 2021 12:08 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Hi Rozojc, My wife and I live in Chiclana De la Frontera a few miles south of Cadiz/San Fernando. The bulk of problems of buying / selling in our particular area is the fact that many of the properties have been built illegally. Ours for instance is on land thats indivisio, the house size is different to that declared to the ayuntamiento.  Some houses have no legal electricity supply and have no standard services to the properties.  The Spanish don't seem to mind these issues and are snapping up properties in the area in an attempt to get out of the big ciites due to recent covid problems.  Having said that and lived elsewhere in Spain, I love the area.  The beaches are superb there is a vibrant nightlife and whilst the area is not as "British" as many of the costas one is able to travel a few hours south to get your britfix if you need to.  Like elswhere in Spain when doing your house searching / buying, use a reputable estate agent, solicitor, check to see how much community fees are etc.  Many of the TV programmes don't tell you that commuity pools are invariably closed from september to june.  The nearby towns of Conil, Medina Sidonia, Vejer, Puerto De Santa Maria are also worth looking at.  When you have the opportunity post covid to visitI, I would recommend to look for a short term let in order to get a feel for the area.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Like 2      
30 May 2021 2:25 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn 

How refreshing to read an honest post and from someone who actually lives in the area of OP research so knows it well.

A rare occurrence, indeed.

As for urbanisation swimming pools closing for 8/9 months of a year this seems normal practice wherever one lives in Spain.

Like 1      
30 May 2021 8:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, Rozojc: Costa de la Luz: Cádiz, Puerto de Santa María, San Fernando, Chiclana, Conil, Zahara de los Atunes, Tarifa, Bahía de Algeciras, La Línea, Alcaidesa, Sotogrande and its inner towns in Cádiz is a Paradise to be discovered by Brits ;)

https://youtu.be/mMpx8pBDpCE

A matter of lack of promotion by local people, just that.... It is changing now. Look at its beaches and the peronality of its towns and people

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
31 May 2021 5:05 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Thanks for your comment Maria - I know Sotogrande quite well, but that's all.  It's great to have positive recommendations.  When Covid allows...

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Current requirements at Alicante Airport When Arriving from Gatwick On Testing - 3 posts
Dog friendly hotel - 0 posts
Accessible rental properties - 1 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 7 posts
Short term rental required - 9 posts
Dog EU passports - 2 posts
Fake news...hope so - 20 posts
All won cases for you by CostaLuz Lawyers in 2021 - 0 posts
Contact lenses subscription in Madrid, Spain as Boots UK are going to stop my service - 4 posts
Costa del sol or Costa Calida - 4 posts
Tax - if refused residency - 3 posts
living in spain now - 12 posts
Iberdrola changing clients to Siesta Energy - 2 posts
New speed limits in force 11/05/2021 - 5 posts
Party wall - 2 posts
Gama builders - 0 posts
Game builders - 0 posts
Labels - 0 posts
Watchmanager - 4 posts
renewing spanish driving licence. - 2 posts
Hello - 4 posts
Guadalmina golf share - 0 posts
buying a small boat - 2 posts
ITV and insurance documents - 4 posts
Buying in Fuente de Piedra? - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x