Living in Spain after Brexit. What worries you?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Dec 2020 11:40 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As some of you may know, I am working on monthly podcasts with EOS for bringing news, feedback and peace of mind ( as much as we can) to you.

What worries you at present in regards to living in Spain and Brexit?

- Ownership rights?

- Visa extensions

-Tax implications

- Residency of family members

-Health coverage?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Dec 2020 11:33 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

Without wishing to sound too macho, for me "worry" is too strong a word.  But I am concerned that the culture of Spain may change with Brexit in respect of the way that Brits are perceived.  For many years we have enjoyed a relaxed attitude towards travel - but now that is about to change.  There will be two distinct groups - the retired who have their residencia and the tourists - the swallows who only visit in the summer.  The longer term result may affect the Spanish economy with more seasonal "ghost towns" which is not good for anyone.

As a guy who wishes to remain outside the Spanish tax system I'm now obliged to follow the Schengen system rigidly - planning future visits to dovetail with family and friends is tedious, so the number of stays here will reduce - again not good for anyone.  I may consider moving to a non-Schengen country to avoid the hassle.

There will be a few new extra costs - health insurance, cars, airport parking, property maintenance etc that collectively add a significant amount to the annual cost of owning a property in Spain.

But I'm yet to discover any positive benefits of the changes.  This is not meant to be an anti-Brexit post - I believe the EU's stance, largely due to the French influence is the cause of the need for change.  But it is a great pity.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2020 2:14 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Problem is, acer, most "non-Schengen" countries have the same rules of the 3 month maximum per 180 days. Turkey? 3 months. USA? 3 months. Andorra? 3 months. Thailand? 30 days so even less. India?  Visa required for just 1 day which put me off an Indian Ocean cruise as I'd need a visa just for landing and going to a port. 

Others a long way away and much more expensive. So unless you plan to go to Ireland then you'd be stuck with the same rules virtually anywhere. Looks like shorter visits for a lot of people who should, really, have got a temporary resident permit to stay more than 90 days anyway but, as we were all in the same club, nobody bothered as no checks were made.

My "concern" (not worry) would be visiting other EU countries from Spain. The new EU rules issued a few days ago state that even UK residents living in an EU country would not be exempt the UK citizen custom and passport queues.

If I go to Italy, instead of joining the EU citizens line, I'd have to get in  the non-EU line and maybe have the passport stamped. Would that limit me to 90 days in 180 anywhere in the EU (except Spain, of course, where I am a resident).

When re-entering Spain, would my registro card count (or TIE if they make any more appointments available) allow me to enter through the EU channels\|?|

I suppose it will all come out in the wash.

Like 1      
05 Dec 2020 2:31 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It is common place that once you terminate your membership of a club you will forfeit some of the benefits. It is still thought that many were clueless or mislead as to what they were voting for.

British residents in Spain had about zero influence on the result but will have to learn to live with the hand they will be dealt, or alternately go back to the UK or another country where they believe they will be treated more favourably.

Life in Spain does not mean a whole of life sentence.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2020 4:33 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

And just read a EU document that states although UK residents in Spain (those who are subject to the withdrawal agreement) will have to join the other or "non visa" queue they will not have their passports stamped on leaving or returning. The residence document held will replace the verification of length of stay and having sufficient means for their stay.

A UK citizen cannot use the e-gates to enter a EU country but some countries may have systems in place to allow them to use one on exit from the country providing the passport has been stamped on entry.and is leaving from the same country they have entered.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2020 5:42 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Read all you like, all if’s, buts’ & maybe’s until a deal is done, if ever.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2020 12:41 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Kavanagh, I realise your cynicism is probably the only thing that keeps you going on here but it does get a bit wearing after a while. Maybe if you actually read somehting official instead of relying on social media then you could possibly make some informed, rather than sarcastic, comments.

This was published on the 2nd December so maybe a bit enlightening for you.

Rules after Brexit

However, if that is too much for you as you obviouslly don't like reading, maybe a summary of the points wouldn't tax you too much.

A quick Powerpoint presentation may keep your one liners in check for a while.

Brexit Readiness

Not everything is made up, you know. But, of course, I'm sure you have a denigrating post to pooh pooh them anyway (as usual).

Like 1      
09 Dec 2020 9:58 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Thanks for your reply MarieDav - sorry been tied up elsewhere for a few days (Covid seems now to be an allowable excuse for pathetic performance).

I take your point regarding the far reaching problems that the massive Schengen area creates - finding a good non-Schengen area in Europe that is worth visiting in not easy, but they do exist in small quantities and will no doubt benefit.  We may look at the Channel Islands.

My post was more about the damage that Brexit will cause to Spain, particularly their winter tourism.  In preparation for the application of the rules we're now using a "Schengen calculator" and have booked our 2021 round to September.  Very much part of our thinking is that we will comply with the rules and limit our Spanish visits to the peak periods.  The way the months fall is that there may be some "availability" in January, but that is our least favourite month to visit, so...

You mention Ireland (I assume you mean the south) I believe this is "exempt" from the Schengen rules/limitations for Brits.  I wondered if in time flights from there would be monitored?  Until my last flight a couple of weeks ago I had been waved through immigration for many years - this time they grabbed my passport and scanned it though their machine - not very hospitable.  Don't they realise it's bad for everyone Maria?

Like 0      
12 Dec 2020 11:14 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

For those people forced to get ther money out of England because they are not resident what I Don't  understand is why the money can not simply be moved to an account in Northern Ireland (withdrawal agreement) and we are all happy.  

Like 0      
18 Feb 2021 11:20 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Are you also having problems with transferences from UK accounts?

Do you know that Brexit Withdrawal residencies are still open?

You know that by using the Double Treaty Tax and if you live in Spain less than 183 you can be Spanisg resident but keep yout UK/ other country tax residency?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

End of November Podcast with Maria de Castro - 0 posts
Mojacar Magazine Launch - 0 posts
2 month winter rental in the Canaries? - 2 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers are the best - 19 posts
is flu jab mandatory - 2 posts
Advice for Beginners, retiring in Spain! - 17 posts
NIE following marriage - 8 posts
New Formula to claim in Ocean View Properties developments- Deadline 28th of December - 0 posts
Healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
duchess - 3 posts
Paypal - 3 posts
Differing lockdowns in different countries - 1 posts
Non resident taxes software - Form 210 - 7 posts
News papers, magazines or sites online about spanish news & life in english or German or French - 2 posts
UK state pension of 100% NICs (inc. voluntary) and Spanish state pension of 70% NICs? - 1 posts
Any Official Source to Get Postal Codes of Spain? - 0 posts
CGT on selling main home - 3 posts
Spanish resident since August 2020 - 2 posts
Advice appreciated - 2 posts
How to contact Maria de Castro - 7 posts
After Fifteen and a Half Years, Only Three Days to a Final Hearing! - 2 posts
Sold my property - 10 posts
UK DWP LETTER APOSTILLE - 9 posts
selling property - 3 posts
HELP WITH RESIDENCY - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x