Advice for Beginners, retiring in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2020 8:02 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, thanks for allowing us to join. We are aged 60 and 67, retired, with adequate income. We both have been coming to Spain and the Canaries for many years, know much of the country quite well. Living our retirement in Spain has  been a shared dream of ours for many years. Idea is to buy a mobile home on one of the many parks on the Costa Blanca/Almeria, cash, without burning any bridges in UK, so we will let our house here. When we can eventually get out of the UK onto a flight down to Alicante, planning on touring the residential parks to see whats what, and where may suit us. Seen some nice homes well within budget. So, any advice is welcome! 

Like 0      
20 Nov 2020 8:23 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

On a basic level you may wish to ponder your choice of living in a mobile home.  Property is remarkably cheap currently and if you buy wisely it may prove a good investment. 

Whereas living in a mobile may put you at a disadvantage in establishing yourselves in a community, making friends and acquaintances etc.

It seems a negative approach to me.  You either bite the bullet and do it, or don't.

Like 2      
20 Nov 2020 9:59 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Why Would you even consider a mobile home as apposed to bricks and mortar... have a look around the property for sale on the Costa Blanca ...at this moment you can buy. apartment for around €45,000...I have a small villa in Los Balcones on a gated community I pay €180 per year community fee's for the upkeep of the shared pool and community in general and €200 council tax =€380 per year and that's it ..as I said before have a good look around and way up the long term overheads ... another problem you are up against is from January 2021 you are going to need a private health insurance for both of you ... good luck always think twice and part with your money once.

Like 1      
20 Nov 2020 1:23 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Wow -  well thanks guys. Firstly, we "live" in our touring caravan pretty much, in the summer months here, touring around Britain, which is perfectly adequate for our needs, not sure why its looked upon as "negative" or second best?! Secondly, I understand mobiles are often sited on parks, hence other folk around us, to make friends with. Thirdly, "only €45,000" is pretty much at the top of our budget, unless we sell the house - burning bridges is not an option. Plan is to let it for income. Obviously we would be taking out private health insurance. Anything more positive from anyone?!

Like 0      
20 Nov 2020 3:53 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Carjelk, in your first post you indicated you were intending to retire to Spain, but now it sounds like you're unsure.

I'm not wishing to be at all unkind but if you were really serious you wouldn't now be saying "burning bridges is not an option".

I wish you well with whatever you decide.

Like 1      
20 Nov 2020 7:16 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I thought I had been clear, so apologies if not. Our plan is to live in Spain for as long as we can, at 60 and 67, obviously we have to be prepared for late life problems (having nursed in laws through altzheimers), we have seen what can happen. Keeping a home in England seems perfectly sensible, for such reason, letting our house here will give us an income. So buying a modest place in Spain to live, is entirely do-able, I have friends who lived in Spain and Tenerife for over 30 years, who have now had to return to the UK for health reasons, as in Spain the Healthcare system cannot fund the constant supply of drugs they need (emphysema), so have literally been homeless, having NOT kept on a place here. Dont want to be caught like that, obvs. I suffer with fibromyalgia and Oesteoarthritis, the English climate is so bad for so long, so growing old in a warmer, drier country, is a no brainer! Thanks guys. Looking at properties now, I do take on board the advice and didnt realise how cheap the property markets are over there in Spain, certainly an option to buy a modest casa. . 

Like 0      
20 Nov 2020 7:19 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Acer - "burning bridges" in my world, means If it doesnt work out, at least we have our house here. Many people sell up in the UK lock stock and barrell, and come unstuck. Blame my part - Scottish blood, for being a possible tightwad...

Like 1      
20 Nov 2020 8:05 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Carjelk...you have made a wise decision to keep your home in the UK ..I have also kept my home in the UK...I have seen so many Brit's over the last 15 years of ownership in Spain .. mostly early retired that have sold the house and the family silver in the UK to chase the dream ..in my experience the honeymoon with Spain tends to fizzle out after a couple of years of living in a full time dream as well as running out of money ..what people don't seem to understand is that the only things that are cheaper in Spain are council tax and booze & fags everything else is either more expensive or the same price as the UK so it doesn't take to long to run out of money especially if you are under UK retirement age living full time in Spain off your savings .. when I first read your original post I thought you were looking at full-time retirement in Spain ..so now I understand that you are only looking for a holiday home I think a mobile home would be a great Idea..so I wish you well and good luck with the search.

Like 1      
20 Nov 2020 10:17 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks Windtalker..letting our house here in the UK is replacing the state pension I won't receive until I'm 66! Indeed I have known people sell up everything to retire abroad but then something major happens meaning they have to go back to the UK, And are hence stuffed. So owning our place in Spain to live for 10 months of the year, with July and August in the UK with our caravan, is the plan! 

Like 0      
21 Nov 2020 1:22 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Wise to keep your options flexible, you never know what changes life may have for you in the future.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2020 9:27 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Carjelk ...if you intend to live in Spain for 10 months out of the year then you will need to become a Tax resident of Spain...as from January 2021 UK citizens will only be permitted to live a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days ...so basically that means 3 months continues stay then you need to leave for 3 months up to a maximum of 6 months in and calender year ...you will also require full health insurance for the duration of your stay ..as the UK EHIC card will no longer be accepted in Spain or any other EU country.

Like 2      
21 Nov 2020 10:49 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Carjelk

For advice and guidance on the legalities of living and travelling in Spain after BREXIT see:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain?utm_campaign=transition_p1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=seg&utm_content=eut_spnukns_act0

Like 2      
21 Nov 2020 1:19 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks guys. Yes I realise this re Spanish Residency, which is fine by us. Private Health insurance as I have said is a must do for us. Actually as Boris Blunders forth without a plan, nothing is certain, I suspect Spain and other countries will keep reciprocal arrangements but best be on safe side. We would count coming back to the UK as the "holiday" to see friends, we intend to be resident in spain. Out of interest, I wonder why living in a mobile/park home, would render us "having difficulty making friends and acquaintances and integrating". Would we be some sort of lower class pariahs..... 

Like 0      
21 Nov 2020 2:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Agree with those who agree that keeping your property in the UK & not burning your bridges is the wise option. You have the right idea about possible issues in later life.

Don't know enough about mobile homes / static caravans to comment, but I would urge caution when considering property in Spain and not be swayed by anyone suggesting it will be an "investment".  It may be, but it may very well turn out to be a bad investment!

Regarding Spanish residency, are you sure your "adequate income" will be enough to actually qualify? A UK state pension certainly is not enough to qualify for residency in the UK under post-Brexit rules, so can anyone be sure that it will be for Spain?  

Good luck with whatever you decide.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
21 Nov 2020 9:27 PM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Gracias Roberto. We are looking at 1 bed properties as said property has fallen at present I am amazed at what is actually within our price range at present. Fortunately we both have good private pensions, which, as long as we stick to our budget conscious ways, will be fine! Now, to fly to Mucia..:) 

Like 0      
22 Nov 2020 5:27 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Carjelk..have a look around the Torrevieja area as you can currently buy a 1 and 2 apartment for around €35,000 ...if you do go for a mobile home don't forget to factor in the yearly site fee's and the insecurity of having a mobile home that you will be ordered to take off the site when it becomes a certain age...as i said before I pay €380 per year for  site  maintenance fees and council tax for a 2 Bed Villa on a gated community and that's it .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 22/11/2020.

Like 1      
23 Nov 2020 12:04 AM by Carjelk Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Looking at properties over the last two days, there certainly are some bargains to be had. Suspect we may buy bricks and mortar after all! Thanks everyone for your input.

Like 1      
23 Nov 2020 1:52 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean good value. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Talk to locals, ask lots of questions. Rent before you buy if possible, to get a feel for an area. Happy hunting!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 3      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NIE following marriage - 8 posts
New Formula to claim in Ocean View Properties developments- Deadline 28th of December - 0 posts
Healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
duchess - 3 posts
Paypal - 3 posts
Differing lockdowns in different countries - 1 posts
Non resident taxes software - Form 210 - 7 posts
News papers, magazines or sites online about spanish news & life in english or German or French - 2 posts
UK state pension of 100% NICs (inc. voluntary) and Spanish state pension of 70% NICs? - 1 posts
Any Official Source to Get Postal Codes of Spain? - 0 posts
CGT on selling main home - 3 posts
Spanish resident since August 2020 - 2 posts
Advice appreciated - 2 posts
How to contact Maria de Castro - 7 posts
After Fifteen and a Half Years, Only Three Days to a Final Hearing! - 2 posts
Sold my property - 10 posts
UK DWP LETTER APOSTILLE - 9 posts
selling property - 3 posts
HELP WITH RESIDENCY - 2 posts
Spanish resident since August 2020 - 1 posts
Community Debts - 14 posts
Air Conditioning Meter for Sale. - 0 posts
TIE - 16 posts
Mojacar Magazine - 0 posts
Why Can’t I Use My UK mobile with my Spanish Santander Bank Accout - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x