CGT on selling main home

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Nov 2020 4:51 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I have received and am reading much conflicting advice so if anyone is a tax expert or knows of one I can contact please let me know.

We are looking to become Spanish resident towards the end of 2020, probably in December,the process has been started. Our current main home is in France and it's not certain the sale can complete before the end of the year. If it completes after 31/12/20 when we will hopefully be resident in Spain will we have to pay CGT on the sale if the proceeds are going to be reinvested in a main home in Spain? We are both of 65 and have lived in our French home over 3 years. 

Please only comment if you definitely know or can direct me to someone who does as I am confused enough already. I know what I "think" but I may be wrong and it could be a costly mistake either way if I get it wrong.

Thanks.

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 01/11/2020.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Nov 2020 5:17 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You should stop reading all this conflicting advice and contact, The Agencia Estatal de Administración Tributaria (AEAT), commonly known as Agencia Tributaria, is the revenue service of the Kingdom of Spain, who are considered tax experts.

Like 2      
01 Nov 2020 6:59 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Thanks Kavanagh. I have had a look and found some of what I wanted, it talks about exemptions for over 65's and also if the proceeds are being reinvested in a main home but it doesn't mention that you have to have been resident in Spain for 3 years to qualify for these exemptions or whether the house being sold has to be in Spain. These are my main questions as I have been told by one 'tax' expert that the house sold has to have been a main home in Spain and the seller has to have been tax resident in Spain for 3 years. I will try and actually contact them unfortunately my experiences in France and Spain show the answer depends on which official is answering you, it can vary.

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 01/11/2020.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
01 Nov 2020 7:29 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Most of the answers you are given from any so called ‘tax’ expert can be unreliable. The main difference is that experts charge ‘plenty’ and have no responsibility, whereas government authorities do not charge and have a duty to be accurate. You can put it all in writing to (AEAT) and query everything until you are satisfied.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish resident since August 2020 - 2 posts
Advice appreciated - 2 posts
How to contact Maria de Castro - 7 posts
After Fifteen and a Half Years, Only Three Days to a Final Hearing! - 2 posts
Sold my property - 10 posts
UK DWP LETTER APOSTILLE - 9 posts
selling property - 3 posts
HELP WITH RESIDENCY - 2 posts
Spanish resident since August 2020 - 1 posts
Community Debts - 14 posts
Air Conditioning Meter for Sale. - 0 posts
TIE - 16 posts
Mojacar Magazine - 0 posts
Why Can’t I Use My UK mobile with my Spanish Santander Bank Accout - 6 posts
Shared bank account - 3 posts
Santander 123 Zero Charges - 4 posts
burger king fuengirola - 2 posts
Quarantine Rules in the uk - 4 posts
Gift tax (Andalucia) - 2 posts
IBI tax 2020 - 4 posts
Good House White Wine to buy for casual drinking and dinning - 2 posts
Divorce - 4 posts
Tax withholding without NIE - 5 posts
Deadline for off plan claims IS NOT OCTOBER BUT DECEMBER - 0 posts
Tax cost - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x