Spanish Resident with Spanish car in UK longer than 6 months

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Feb 2018 7:09 AM by neilantony Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello,

I have a British passport, I am resident in Spain (i have Residencia), and have been living and working in Spain since 2004. I have a Spanish driving licence.

I have a job working in North Wales for 7 months, after I shall return to Spain.

I need to take my car for transport while I am working in the UK.

I have owned my car for 6 years, Spanish registered, taxed, ITV and insured in Spain on Spanish plates.

I am only allowed to have my car in the UK for 6 months.?

gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

My question is:

How do I stay legal on month 7 ?

This message was last edited by neilantony on 08/02/2018.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2018 9:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nell

Sorry but you found the answer at:-  

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

It says:      If you .................... stay for longer than 6 months you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK

Like 0      
08 Feb 2018 9:39 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello John

How do the UK authorities actually know when your Spanish car enters and leaves the UK?.

Like 1      
08 Feb 2018 9:57 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The reality of it is, you stay for 6 months with your Spanish registered car, no problem, overstay for one month, honestly whats the chances of you getting caught if you keep your nose clean, like no speeding, parking on yellow and so on.

I deal with plenty of incomers who bring the foreign car in and stay with it for more then a year or two and have never had one problem, the millions of cameras we have now will no doubt spot you, but also take no notice because they cant be bothered about chasing foreign registered cars. It's only us when we park on yellow for 5 seconds.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2018 10:41 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Nell,  that was not the answer.

It should have been;   Just do as you please you won't get caught because the authorities do not know GB is an island, so you cannot say you drove over a border,  ferry tickets have dates on them, or if you cannot show the car left UK,  then you are in trouble with no defence.

But you need not worry, a couple of great guys here will pick up any bills you get  !!

But then even Tony down the pub does not believe that.

Opps!  Maybe the police do know.

www.police.uk/information-and-advice/automatic-number-plate-recognition/

Extract

“As a vehicle passes an ANPR camera, its registration number is read and instantly checked ……...............  A record for all vehicles passing by a camera is stored, including those for vehicles that are not known to be of interest at the time of the read that may in appropriate circumstances be accessed for investigative purposes.

The use of ANPR in this way has proved to be important in the detection of many offences ………. “

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/02/2018.

Like 3      
08 Feb 2018 12:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The authorities might know but have enough to follow up on as it is without chasing someone for a months overstay, which as I said keep your nose clean and little chance of getting caught.

They wont even chase you if you don't pay the Dartford Crossing fee of £2.50, they just put the fee up 50 pence toUK drivers to cover this loss, and they told us this, but they will chase the English car owners.

And due to this 50 pence increase us 'Great Guys' are already paying for it.

Like 1      
08 Feb 2018 1:23 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

, the millions of cameras we have now will no doubt spot you,

I already mentioned that, but considering the UK police are now worse then useless...Enough said.

ferry tickets have dates on them, or if you cannot show the car left UK,  then you are in trouble with no defence.

Yes my point exactly, if you keep clean and don't get caught why would you have to show you left the country with boat tickets.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2018 1:40 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Neil

If it were me I would risk it. I know rules are rules, but to be honest the rule is in place to stop people "really" abusing the system. What I mean by that is someone bringing their car from the continent with no intention of taxing, mot'ing it etc ever, and not paying for any of those things in their "home" country. I would make sure that you have any documentation on you showing your intention to travel back to Spain. i.e. Your return ferry booking.

Like 1      
09 Feb 2018 7:48 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Things to consider:

1.  Insurance - Does your insurer cover you if you are away for more than 6 months? You may find it only covers you for a much shorter period when you leave Spain.

2.  If insurance is not a problem, how about a nice 2 week holiday in France half way though your period in the UK?

Like 1      
21 Feb 2018 9:30 AM by neilantony Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Tteedd,

Yes my Insurance is from Mapfre and covers me for my stay, plus breakdown.

Thanks for the offer but I am traveling by ferry from north Spain.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2018 10:15 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Insurance cover

Under Directive 2009/103/EC all vehicle insurance policies are required to provide third party (minimum cover) for the duration of the policy, in all EU countries as standard.   Thus up to 12 months from the starting date.

Of course should one require further cover, full comp etc., then the insurance company will probably require an  additional premium and will restrict the period for which that cover is effective.

NB Insurance companies are often reluctant to mention this and will try to get customers to pay extra

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/02/2018.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WE WON! - 39 posts
kodi uktv - 7 posts
Banks paying out inheritance to beneficiaries - 4 posts
Replacement NIE card - 11 posts
Laminated documents - 0 posts
Volunteers wanted for k9 animal charity - 4 posts
Power of attorney - 15 posts
Santander bank - 4 posts
non residents bank account - 19 posts
Transfer from Girona to Platja D'Aro - 1 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers cases won so far in 2018! - 0 posts
Costa Luz Lawyers - 114 posts
Balcony extension - 13 posts
Winter in Torrevieja - 1 posts
How do I prove I am not a scammer?! - 7 posts
Modelo 210 - 2 posts
About the school - 10 posts
Winter travel to Spain - 13 posts
what is FORM 036 pls - 11 posts
Fined €200 for not having ITV - car only 2 years old! - 16 posts
Car Battery Supplier - 3 posts
Family Move and buying a business lease - 6 posts
Debt Attachment - 1 posts
Question for Maria on interest payments (Ley 57/68) - 10 posts
Reclaiming 3% non resident Tax Refund after property sale - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x