Family Move and buying a business lease

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jan 2018 8:46 PM by aries67 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi all,  My husband , our 2 boys and I are planning a move to South Spain...We are looking to buy a lease on a small food Takeaway/cafe business...We currently run our own successful snack bar small business in the UK...We plan to buy our own place and have funds in place for I international school....We would like inland Malaga witb an expat community close by..Be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this ...thanks in advance....😊

Like 0      
16 Jan 2018 9:06 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If You are looking for advice...then DON'T DO IT....buy a holiday home instead ...and carry on running that successful cafe/take away in the UK...and just enjoy taking stress free holidays .

Like 7      
18 Jan 2018 12:03 PM by aries67 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for your reply.....Can you give me your reasons for this please ? We plan to rent first whilst we look 4 a  suitable lease...We already have the school funds and will be cash buyers for a home... 

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 12:19 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I think I have given you enough advice... So I will let someone else explain ...but you are making a wise decision by renting first ...I think buy doing this you will need no advise from anyone ...all you will have to do is look around ...and the picture that you see will say everything good luck.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 18/01/2018.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2018 12:52 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Aries. I would also advise against making this move. I don't doubt that you are hardworking etc etc, but the number of failed businesses run by ex pats is most probably astronomical. The margins are extremely tight unless you are lucky to get a lease on a well established business with a large regular loyal clientele, which in turn would cost you a lot more for the lease. As an example at a local bar where I go a pint of lager has been the same price (2 euros) since 2008. The competition is fierce and the only way to stay in business is to keep driving the prices down. 

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 1:10 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Why ? One has to inquire, are you willing to give up a successful snack bar business in UK to attempt to replicate similar in Spain. Tell me it is not just for the sun!

i live here permanently and have seen many, whose work ethics I couldn't fault, have to return...not only with less than they arrived but exhausted from working long long hours ,for little return, (due in the main to the VERY high cost of monthly NIS payment) and in temperatures we are not accustomed to.

If taking in what I have written you think you are capable of making a go of it...then I hope to read you have succeeded 

Like 1      
18 Jan 2018 1:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It's almost impossible to give sensible advice based on so little (almost no) information, which is why the answers you get here will tend to be somewhat negative or sarcastic (my speciality, so apologies in advance)

Big question - how old are the kids? (funds in place for how many years?) How easily will they adapt to a foreign country / language / make friends etc.? And when they finish school, what prospects will they have (basically pretty poor, and they'll probably want to return to the UK asap, unless they're content to work in your cafe forever) 

Don't underestimate how hard it will be to replicate the success of your UK business, in Spain. There is so much that could go wrong. You've obviously got some capital behind you, which is great, but to paraphrase someone wiser than me, "the best way to make a fortune in Spain, is to start with a bigger fortune". There's nothing wrong with following your dream and giving it a go - but you must think of the kids first: don't jeopordise their future for yours.

Just my humble thoughts on the matter, hope it doesn't come across as rude or judgemental.

Good luck

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 4      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Debt Attachment - 1 posts
Question for Maria on interest payments (Ley 57/68) - 10 posts
Reclaiming 3% non resident Tax Refund after property sale - 15 posts
Help with Spanish Taxes - 6 posts
Furnishing a house in Jalon - 3 posts
registering an imported car - 2 posts
Special needs schools spain - 11 posts
tax on uk pensions - 3 posts
Bank guarantees - 53 posts
Advice on Cajamar Bank - 14 posts
Portadriano - 0 posts
Buying a new bike - 4 posts
trying to buy a property in spain - 5 posts
Reclaiming PlusValia on a property sale - 61 posts
come to Alicante area for 4 weeks in April/May with dogs - 3 posts
Club - 0 posts
Newbie - 29 posts
Subletting in Spain - 13 posts
CostaLuz Lawyers 45 cases won against Banks in 2017! - 0 posts
Low power water heater - 4 posts
New to Spain with alsorts of problems - 24 posts
Smart box for tv - 2 posts
Murcia - 15 posts
Getting ready for Brexit - 8 posts
The start of the journey - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x