Moving to Alicante

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2017 2:53 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi everyone me and my partner are new to this site, is anyone or has anyone moved from the UK to alicante ? if so how did u go about it ?

thanks guys 

Like 0      
21 May 2017 3:21 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Hi JKYTE

Many (if not most) on here have moved to Spain

Many areas in Alicante

Many questions as to how you will support yourself, do you need to work, retired, children etc etc

Are you buying or renting

Taxes, health care etc etc

If you can be a bit more specific then many will offer advice as a start check out the UK gov website for moving abroad 

https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

Many websites just do a search for moving to Spain as an example

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/information/movingtospain.htm

Research, research and research again

Contact experts in UK and Spain. HMRC and DWP are vey helpful

Good luck

Like 1      
21 May 2017 3:58 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thank you for replying, we will be looking for full time work, renting, don't have children coming with us, how much money do you think we will need to tide us over, we are looking to move out next April, but just unsure on how to go about it all thanks 

Like 0      
21 May 2017 4:40 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you intend looking for a full time job in Spain ...I would suggest you take  Spanish language lessons...    otherwise you will just be another Brit that will end up cleaning swimming pools or working in Brit bars for pocket money.

Like 2      
21 May 2017 4:57 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi, I can speak Spanish so that's not an issue, what do u mean pocket money? Did u live over there ? 

Like 0      
21 May 2017 4:59 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Even with good Spanish full time work will be difficult to find and unemployment is high.

What skills do you have?

Checkout jobsites and you will see

Suggest you come over for an extended holiday, say 4 weeks during the quieter months (November) and have a good look round, chat with those that live here and speak to a professional whilst you are here

One thing no work = no tax / NI paid etc  = no state health care

Like 2      
21 May 2017 5:57 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Oh well allot of people I know that have gone out there wouldn't return to U.K. So don't understand how it's so bad? I am going over in October to explore & speak someone did you move there from U.K. ?

Like 0      
21 May 2017 7:06 PM by BREXIT Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

So you already know a lot of people who have moved from the UK to live in Spain. That’s interesting.

Like 2      
21 May 2017 7:17 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Jkyte I have owned a Villa in Camposol Mazarron for 10 year's....I have seen many come and just as many go ...the only ones that seem to be staying are the ones that don't have to earn a living to stay .Pocket money/Peanuts/ Beer money it is all the same thing ..so I would suggest like others are saying is for you to come over in the winter months and see how you get on good luck .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 21/05/2017.

Like 2      
21 May 2017 8:09 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Whys it interesting?

Like 1      
21 May 2017 8:10 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Whys it interesting?

Like 1      
21 May 2017 8:12 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Windtalker thank u for ur honesty, as long as I can have a job an pay rent that is all I want I've had such a stressful life and Spain was always my dream can't blame me for trying I'm on here to get advise and opinions people get shitty like I'm going over there for fun i want to go over to start a new life but I do appreciate ur feedback thank u

Like 0      
21 May 2017 9:12 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

JKYTE,  is English your first language ?

Like 0      
21 May 2017 9:54 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

21 May 2017 10:36 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Just wondered, sorry to be nosey, because you appeared to be affronted by negative , but factual, postings

If your life is stressful in UK then believe me it will be twice that here because getting a job is not going to be easy. Most Brits who do work have to become self employed ( abt €250 a month to pay into the system ) because employment contracts are rare. Even for the Spanish. Plus hourly rates are very poor. 

Although you may know a lot of folk who have relocated to Spain have you checked how many are still living there because not only all those who came out hoping to work , that I know, have returned but many pensioners as well.

Unfortunately the  grass isn't any greener on this side of the fence plus it could be even more expensive if you want to rent in the holiday resort of Alicante in the high season.

Read you are coming over in October to investigate . So wish you good fortune.

Like 2      
21 May 2017 11:11 PM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thank you so much for your reply it's not sounding to hopeful :( my friends brother moved out there 5 years ago went with no money and got a job an a house through an agency called THINKspain they are still located in Benidorm, it's easy getting work here but I just have a past that I want to escape from an I've been busing Spain for 10 years now and absolutely love it feels like home when I'm there, my partner works self employed here at the moment An said he would try and set up to be self employed over there, is there a reason why employment is so difficult there? Places like Tenerife are all year round do u think that would make a difference ? I thought we could fly over in October to see what it's like in the quieter season, like I said I need as much information and advice as possible and honesty is the best policy :) I don't know much about moving abroad trying to get information of different people but everyone is telling me different things lol 

Like 0      
22 May 2017 7:25 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

After reading your posting the first thing I would do would be to contact your friends brother and find out how he is progressing 5 years later.  

It is most important to consider the outcome of BREXIT as movement between Europe  and Brits seeking work could be seriously hampered . Especially as unemployment level is very high here. Somewhere iro 26%. 

Like 0      
22 May 2017 9:05 AM by BREXIT Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

JKYTE what is yours and your partners skilled occupation?. What international recognised qualifications do you both have?.

Like 0      
22 May 2017 9:25 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Hi, have to say I'm struggling to understand the move your making.   When your planning a move in life like changing a job for example, you look at how it affects you, what skills you have and what you may need to make the change.  Try and place yourself above the competition etc.

your move to Spain in this way seems to need a bit of a reality check.   No job, no shelter, no particular skills mentioned, not sure how much you need to 'tide over', escaping a past.

I think your heading for a future that's potentially much worse than the past your escaping.  Are you very young people?  Have you enough savings to last a couple of years and something to go back to if it fails?

like floella says, the grass isn't greener, in fact the greenest grass is in the UK, but that's because it rains more!!

sit down and make a list of what you want to achieve in life and how your going to get there, and see if it's available in Spain by making proper plans, that's my advice for what it's worth.  Snap decisions can snap you in two.

This message was last edited by briando55 on 22/05/2017.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
22 May 2017 11:07 AM by JKYTE Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

I have qualifications in many different sectors, I have a level 5 in health & social care management, I have a qualification in dance I have a personal license as I used to be a landlady, I'm speaking to an agency over there at the minute and they said we pay them a small fee and they find us accommodation and a job for 3 months also I am a nail technician so I do have opportunity to do different jobs my partner does construction has his own window cleaning business and has a qualification in engineering so we have plenty of experience behind us, all I wanted to know was what it's like living over there yes I could be making a mistake but I don't know until I try 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

english or spanish licence - 37 posts
Lost our case against banco popular - 46 posts
ENDESA info in English - 0 posts
Almunecar, Granada Dirty Beaches and Abandonment from City Hall - 6 posts
Removals from surrey to malaga - 4 posts
Installation costs of electricity - 23 posts
A big hello to everyone - 1 posts
Consumers Europe, UK office - 0 posts
Considering a Villa in Javea area - 6 posts
Riding a motorbike in Spain - 2 posts
Help please with Building Licence - 4 posts
canine requirements - 0 posts
Cruises Cartagena - 2 posts
Reconnection to Endesa - 18 posts
Residencia - 17 posts
Can anyone recommend a cleaner in Campoverde? - 2 posts
Canine requirements - 12 posts
Free Math App for Kids - 1 posts
Touch up paint - 5 posts
Problem neighbour - 22 posts
I want to move to spain - 33 posts
Does owning a B and B class as being employed and eligible for healthcare - 1 posts
AGM - 3 posts
6 berth uk spec caravan with AIR CONDITIONING - 0 posts
Seeking Advice on Transportation of Belongings to Spain - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x