Seeking Advice on Transportation of Belongings to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2017 3:17 PM by firmo Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

We are moving to Alhaurin el Grande, Malaga in July (exact date not confirmed) from Middlesbrough, north-east England. 

The goods we are taking with us will likely fit in to a short wheelbase Transit van. The bulkiest things being 3x adult bikes and a mattress.

What is the best option for moving?

1. Professional removals company: We will box our goods up, but they collect and drop-off our belongings.

2. Buying a left-hand drive car (Citroen Berlingo size) that is registered in Spain, plus a trailer, and keep this car as ours once the move is completed.

3. Hire a one-way van (collect in UK, then leave it in Spain).

At present, I am swaying toward option 2. We will need to buy a car once we arrive in Spain so this could essentially kill two birds with one stone.

Other factors: We are renting for initially until we find the right place to buy. We do not have NIE or residency yet (planning on sorting this once we are in Spain). 

What advice would you give?

Like 0      
08 May 2017 5:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

1) Get some quotes from moving companies. If they are "professionals", they will supply all the packing boxes & materials, and will pack for you. If you are planning on driving down anyway though, you may feel this is expensive for a relatively small load, but it might be the easiest, least stressful way.

2) To buy (or rather, to register) a Spanish registered car and trailer, you will first need an NIE and an address in Spain. You will need to check about the trailer - I'm not sure, but I think it may have to be registered and tested in Spain too.

3) Possibly a good option, but also quite costly.

Only you can decide what suits you best, but get all the info and suggestions / advice you can before making your decision.

Best of luck.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
08 May 2017 6:21 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

https://www.shiply.com/

Like 1      
08 May 2017 9:07 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

There is an option 4.

Buy a left hand drive van in the UK. (preferably Spanish registered), then you could sell it when you get there and buy a Spanish car.

Like 1      
09 May 2017 10:46 AM by firmo Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice. 

The quotes from shiply have been better value than I expected; certainly cheaper than other quotes I have received elsewhere. 

Jarvi - I'm reluctant to buy a van, register it, sell it, only to buy another vehicle. It seems like it would be too much hassle at a time when there will be a lot of other things going on. I appreciate the advice though.

CARS - Slightly off-topic here, but is there a best place online to look for cars in Spain (or Spanish-registered cars) similar to autotrader and gumtree? 

Further, would anyone advise against bringing our UK car (right hand drive) to Spain and registering it? I've spent a lot of time driving on the continent (in both LHD and RHD cars) so I appreciate that a RHD car isn't ideal in the long term, but our car is extremely ecomincal and reliable, and would make a great runaround or short term vehicle.

Like 0      
09 May 2017 12:39 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

firmo

Many expat 2nd hand car sales will take a UK registered car in part ex. not usre what kind of value you woudl get.

Do a internet search for the area you are moving to for car sales

Transferring a car to Spanish plates costs money and potentially tax (may be expemt if it is part of yoru chatels in the move) - you need to check costs and talk to an expert - again plenty on lien if you do a searc

My advice would be sell your car in Uk and buy one when you get to Spain - easiest, smoothest and least hassle way

Like 0      
09 May 2017 4:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As suggested by Newworld take a look here http://www.shiply.com/ 

I have used them once for a side table and some china to Spain. I had a number of quotes,  It worked out fine.

Like 0      
09 May 2017 4:45 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

You tend to find the fist half a dozen quotes on Shipley are ridiculous, keep rejecting them and the price will drop, also look at the feedback the transport company have, get a quote from Coles Transport, If you are moving a lot of stuff these people are the best I have used,and the cheapest, info below.

Coles

Thorpe Drive Banbury 
Oxfordshire OX16 4UZ

Phone: 

01295 275074

Like 1      
09 May 2017 9:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Firmo: "is there a best place online to look for cars in Spain (or Spanish-registered cars) similar to autotrader and gumtree?"

I don't know about a best place, but you could trawl through the likes of autoscout24.es or milanuncios, but you'll probably be shocked at the price of second hand cars with very high mileage and quickly lose the will to live.

As Tadd says, there are some expat dealers who may take a UK reg car in PX, but will probably insult you with their offer. I think there are quite a lot operating on the Costa Blanca, not so many down here on the CDS. The most well known are probably Robertsons & Bill Brady (not personal recommendations, I have never dealt with either and have no connection to either). A quick Google will find them.

"would anyone advise against bringing our UK car (right hand drive) to Spain and registering it? I appreciate that a RHD car isn't ideal in the long term, but our car is extremely ecomincal and reliable, and would make a great runaround or short term vehicle.

Again, as Tadd says, re-registering a car onto Spanish plates can be costly and a lot of hassle (e.g. changing the headlamps just for starters), and as you say yourself, for the longer term a RHD drive car is far from ideal.

Another option could be buying a Spanish plated LHD car in the UK, to drive down with what's left of your possessions after shiply have taken the bulk. There are a few long standing LHD dealers in the UK - unfortunately for you, most are down south (Google Basingstoke & Chesham LHD). And as I said previously, you will need your NIE in order to register a car in your name. See this thread about getting your NIE. I am sending you a private message with a further suggestion.

Hope this helps. wink

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 May 2017 9:55 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Have look on here Hertz seel cars off. http://www.hertzocasion.es/?gclid=CLeWo5D0-tECFW0R0wodMPgNGw

This message was last edited by newworld on 10/05/2017.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Trailers - 1 posts
Damp Kitchen Problem - 33 posts
All inclusive holidays - 14 posts
Advice on changing ownership of car, - 11 posts
property taxes - 7 posts
trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts
autonomo benefits - 9 posts
Health care - 2 posts
Lizzy - 4 posts
Writing a new Will - 29 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x