Damp Kitchen Problem

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 May 2017 4:36 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

We have a very damp kitchen. Ceiling is always black and has to be washed often. The walls are tiled and the damp runs down them and leaves black mould like deposits all over - same with the cupboards. We use an extractor over the cooker and leave the windows open as often as we can but to no avail. We can smell the damp as soon as we go inside the kitchen. Would a humidifier be the answer - if so any idea which one? Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
06 May 2017 4:57 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Hi.   Before buying any more equipment can you do a little problem solving first?

these may be obvious questions (bear with me).  

Is the cooker hood extractor connected to an outside duct?   If so is the external flap operating ok, any blockage.   Also has the filter been changed in the hood and is it functional.  

When the kitchen window is open is it creating any draught at all and is it just open when your cooking?   Open for longer    

The ceiling in a modern built Spanish property will likely be a concrete solid floor to the upper storey.  It is a cold bridge to the outside and will be attracting moisture through condensation, important to have a draught there.   Use anti mould emulsion on the ceiling.   

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
06 May 2017 5:40 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Last time I saw anything that bad it was due to a leak in the kitchen in the flat above.

A de-humidifier will remove damp from the air allowing the damp on the walls and ceiling to evaporate but you are treating the symptoms not the cause.

If you are in a flat do the other flats have the same problem? If so find out what they have done about it.

Mobile gas heaters (much used in Spain) put moisture into the air.

Like 1      
06 May 2017 6:17 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

After doing all the checks Brian suggested get some anti fungus paint. Most DIY stores sell paint with it included or you can buy and additive 

Like 1      
06 May 2017 6:48 PM by BREXIT Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Are you ground floor?. Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation.  Don’t think Spain know what an air brick is. Get a big fan. Once a week open all the cupboards and draws, open all the windows and put the fan on blowing ‘’through’’ the kitchen. You will probably only get this problem in winter when you shut the windows. Clean and spray walls etc with diluted bleach.

Do not use MOBILE GAS Heaters anywhere.

This message was last edited by BREXIT on 06/05/2017.

Like 2      
07 May 2017 11:10 AM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks for all the tips. We live in a villa (so no neighbours to blame) AND we are near the sea - so could this be one reason? The extractor over the cooker does not have an outside duct.

Regards

Like 0      
07 May 2017 11:25 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

jinx

Suggest you look into getting a duct fitted for the extractor 

Invest in a dehumidifier especially for colder months when doors and windows are closed

I see no real reason why being next to sea would cause additional ventilation problems

Like 1      
07 May 2017 11:32 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

The cooker hood is circulating the cooking vapours, like a heating syatem convects (hot air rises and falls as it cools).  The colder ceiling is condensing the vapour and the residue is collecting on the ceiling, it will likely condense more where the ceiling meets the outer wall too (in the corners and edges it may be stronger?)

In a warm climate the sea may not make as much difference but in winter months the walls expose toward the sea will be a little warmer than any north facing walls and solid walls will be more affected.  In spain there is some cavity in the wall due to the hollow clay blocks used in construction.  These are good but have lots of connecting struts from front to back, you may see the shape of the blocks through the wall surface if the decoration or render is poorly applied! 

That probably wont make much difference to the condensation/damp issue your talking about though, the problem, as the brexit guy says is ventilation and ambiwnt temperature.

Cooker hood......priority, have it ducted soon!!

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
07 May 2017 6:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I guess this sounds pretty obvious, but any chance you have a leaky pipe in the kitchen ceiling, or do you have a shower, bath etc. in a room above the kitchen. 

You said your property was on the coast, might I ask in which  region of Spain ?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 07/05/2017.

Like 0      
07 May 2017 7:00 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi Johnzx, nothing above us as we are all on one level - live in the region of Manilva.

Regards

Like 0      
07 May 2017 8:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Are you certain there is not a water supply pipe in the ceiling?

In my penthouse the water supply to the kitchen and bathroms are in the ceilings,

** EDITED ** the extent of the problem you describe,  in a Spanish property,  would seem almost impossible from just kitchen produced vapour.  Just my guess,

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 5/12/2017 5:16:00 PM.

Like 0      
07 May 2017 10:12 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Yes look for any pipework or hidden services in the ceilings and consider any split system air con pipework that may be around.   Consider waste pipes as well.   

If your experiencing mould growth on the surfaces in the way your describing, it's condensation.   Fresh water doesn't culture mould on the surface, it just creates damp and decay.   If you have a leak it will usually continue to get wet until you tend to know exactly where it's coming from!  

Have a 'root round' and update us.  ** EDITED**

This message was last edited by briando55 on 07/05/2017.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 5/12/2017 5:17:00 PM.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
08 May 2017 8:47 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Hi John,

your in a penthouse with the bathroom and kitchen water supply fed from above.  Are you also on one level?  Is there a rooftop solarium there?   

Im surprised the services are placed In a reinforced concrete roof section, is that unusual where you are because it seems strange.  Perhaps you have a section of timber roof with a void for services or a service duct running up at a side outer wall?

If you have you could pass that info on to the guy for any places to either look in or to know about for future issues etc.  

This message was last edited by briando55 on 08/05/2017.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 2      
08 May 2017 2:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED ** to clarify that the pipes are in a suspended ceiling and then run in the walls at ceiling height to the bathrooms where once again they are in the suspended ceiling.

I was of course just giving the OP a reason why I said what I did, not describing in detail my set up.

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/05/2017.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 5/12/2017 5:20:00 PM.

Like 0      
08 May 2017 3:07 PM by jinxy Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Hi, we have no hidden water pipes in te ceiling so the mystery goes onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn??

Regards

Like 0      
08 May 2017 3:25 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Jinxy.   

Its not a mystery, you have poor ventilation in the room your suffering with and the residue of cooking is remaining on the surfaces after the moisture condenses.  

You need to ventilate the room efficiently and control the residue in the air.  

Change filters, open windows, create a through ventilation draught , consider fitting mechanical ventilation, buy a dehumidifier.     I suggest in that order mate.  

But if there is a leak fix that as well!!!  Make sure your familiar with where any rising main water stop taps are ok.  

Best wishes, Brian

Like 2      
10 May 2017 9:51 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I own three house's in Spain, one of them has wooden roof joists / beams sticking out about 14 inches from the wall, might be slightly more, above that is the marble floored solarium, the wood in any of it's lenth is not rotten, I have had the ends treated only the once, they look as good as the day they were put in.

Like 0      
10 May 2017 9:55 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Sounds to be built properly Baz.   Good stuff.  

Although, not sure how this thread morphed into roofs!!

This message was last edited by briando55 on 10/05/2017.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
11 May 2017 9:25 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Yes, Tadd.

I have seen many like this one I own.

Back onto subject though I think, and in no way any type of builder, my guess is this damp is like it's been said, poor ventilation due to the way houses are generally built in Spain, basically a cold concrete box with a spattering of other materials thrown in, this house of mine in question when not used for say about 3 months Oct-Dec the chrome fittings and handles have like a slightly damp type of mould on them which cleans of easy, nothing on the walls though, also when you first go into the house after this period of being away the air is damp-ish, and believe it or not I have open  low down wall vents, which it seems clearly are not as good as open doors and windows, which when opened after 10 minutes all is okay again.

If Mrs B cooks she uses the thingy over the cooker and opens the kitchen window and, or door.

Like 0      
11 May 2017 9:44 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Baz

That's how I (am most others) would see the problem

Brian

Good post I have been there and got the T-shirt and scars as others also have - don't worry and keep your chin upsmiley

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

All inclusive holidays - 14 posts
Advice on changing ownership of car, - 11 posts
property taxes - 7 posts
trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts
autonomo benefits - 9 posts
Health care - 2 posts
Lizzy - 4 posts
Writing a new Will - 29 posts
road tax in murcia - 1 posts
Green Bowling in Costa Blanca for all New & Old Expats. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x