A battle of Wills - A cautionary tale.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Apr 2017 10:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maria,   Not sure how you can be certain about what will happen post Brexit until the negotiations have been completed.  Whilst what you say may be the outcome, almost anything could be agreed.

If you are right I am glad I have dual nationality so will continue to an EU national after March 2019 unless Ireland leave too sometime.     I suppose as an Irish national I can make a Will under the succession laws of Ireland.  Is that right please?

The Will Rosie is asking for help/advice on is in existence,  so does that not mean the current law re UK sucession tax will prevail,  or is that incorrect ?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 16/04/2017.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2017 11:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

John:

I am stating what the situation was before Brussels IV where EU regulations had no word on cross-border wills/inheritances. It is quite sensible, things will turn out to be as they were when the matter was just regulated by General International Private Law unless Spain-UK agrees specifically on this.

As an Ireland national, yes, you can grant a will in Spain where even being Spain resident, you can choose your nationality to govern your post-mortem affairs, if not, by force of Brussels IV, Spain inheritance Law will apply.

If the will was made according to Brussels IV, of course, its regulation will remain, even after Brexit as those will be acquired rights. I am saying this by virtue of General Principles of Law, just if you wonder how I can be certain.

So, for those Spain residents, owning  real estate in Spain and no real estate in the UK, who will want UK to apply to his inheritance, it is highly advisabe to grant a Brussels IV will now, before the Brexit process is concluded

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Nov 2019 10:09 PM by Dhfbc Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Johnzx

can I ask how you got on with this case as I believe we are in a similar situation with carers

Like 0      
22 Nov 2019 3:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

https://costaluzlawyers.es/for-you/inheritance-tax-laws-in-spain/

It might help. Any questions?

Have a great weekend!

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Dec 2019 7:06 PM by BITYRA Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

If you are right I am glad I have dual nationality so will continue to an EU national after March 2019 unless Ireland leave too sometime.     I suppose as an Irish national I can make a Will under the succession laws of Ireland.  Is that right please?

embed

Like 0      
22 Dec 2019 7:07 PM by BITYRA Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I tell my story, given the number  https://jumblesolver.pro/ of British ex-pats living in Spain who are or may become, vulnerablehttps://autoclicker.pro/ and easy  http://word unscramblerprey to unscrupulous people.

embed
This message was last edited by BITYRA on 22/12/2019.

This message was last edited by BITYRA on 22/12/2019.

This message was last edited by BITYRA on 24/12/2019.

This message was last edited by BITYRA on 24/12/2019.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Apartment rental - Inspection notification - 5 posts
Mobile Phone Question - 2 posts
Car insurance - 11 posts
relief Animal shelter managers - 0 posts
Sun Blind Electric with Remote Control Cream - 2 posts
decorating - 8 posts
Property deeds and ex partners - 11 posts
How can I submit a 210 quarterly rental income form myself - 30 posts
Which type of Air Conditioning is best - 1 posts
police stations - 2 posts
Transport help - 6 posts
christmas weather - 4 posts
Where are the touristic areas of Lanzarote? - 1 posts
MEET AND GREET SERVICE - 0 posts
Spanish and Uk overseas housing market - 2 posts
EBAY selling from Spain - 6 posts
Health insurance for a period 3/6Months - 4 posts
Constitutional matters in the UK - and their effects on expats. - 58 posts
PVC TRELLIS PANELS - 2 posts
sheds or other buildings - 1 posts
How long does planning permission last - 0 posts
Breathalysers in Spain - 15 posts
Canadian fluent in Spanish and English. Want to move to Spain. Will I have trouble with work? - 4 posts
Testimonial from Adrienne and Irvine Rea regarding costaluz lawyers - 12 posts
Community apartment ,who pays water damage - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x