Canadian fluent in Spanish and English. Want to move to Spain. Will I have trouble with work?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2017 3:48 AM by rcarranza Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi. I'm very sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I figured I'd post the question detailing my particular circumstance anyways. Hopefully thats okay.

So I want to move to Spain. I love the culture, the weather, everything about it! I've visited and ideally I want to move to Spain, but if I'm able to only work for a while in Spain that is okay too.

All this being said...

Will I have trouble? I'm a Web Developer and after looking at job listings it seems work is out there, but how willing may a company be to take me if I am relocating? I've also thought about teaching English as my Spanish is fluent as well. I feel like this could be a bonus for me.

I also have experience in the hospitality industry. Bartended for 4 years. 

Any suggestions for relocating and finding a job? Or will I have to move and figure it out as I go?

Any advice is appreciated. 

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 11:07 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hello

There are jobs available if you have the qualifications and the experience. Here they are very up on qualifications. The more the merrier and the competition nowadays is fierce when it come to qualifications. There are degree students with masters degrees and God knows what else serving hamburgers and answering the phone. But that said, it is turning around. The chances of you getting a job without being here to do a one-to-one interview are pretty slim unless you are already doing remote work with a Spanish based company. That may be an idea, to try and get some work with a Spanish company remotely before moving. I know several people who do this and it works quite well. If not, teaching English is also a way to gain extra work quite quickly if you come at the right time of year (Sept- Dic). There is demand, but again you will need some sort of teaching qualifiaction; CELTA, TESOL,TEFL if you want to find work quickly that is. Cities which have a university always have a constant demand for English lessons as it is required to pass the degree. So choose carefully where you want to live.

To find a job in your line of work will be a question of patience but it is certainly a line of work that is in high demand. But also a popular profession right now... so...quite  a lot of competition...

hope this helps and welcome to EOS.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 11:34 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

I think that the simple answer is yes, you will have a problem finding work. As a Canadian citizen you must find an employer before you relocate. You cannot just come as a tourist, find work and then get a visa whilst still in Spain. You  need to apply in Canada. Of course, you could come for up to 90 days, find work and then go back to Canada with the contract and apply for a work visa.That is the legal option.

As Ian points out any work is difficult to find in Spain and from my knowledge Spanish companies do prefer to employ Spaniards first.

Good luck with you search.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 3:09 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/spain?keywords=web+design

http://www.prsspain.com/vacancies/view-vacancy.aspx?vacancy_id=114

https://www.learn4good.com/jobs/language/english/list/web_design/spain/

https://es.jobspotting.com/en/jobs/spain/web-design

Just a few websites that came up when googling "opportunities for web designers in spain ".

Also might be worth looking at Gibraltar as an option?

Just a few thoughts!

This message was last edited by ads on 30/03/2017.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2017 3:57 AM by rcarranza Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks guys appreciate the info.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Testimonial from Adrienne and Irvine Rea regarding costaluz lawyers - 12 posts
Community apartment ,who pays water damage - 9 posts
Android TV Boxes Supplier in Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Hola! Newbie looking to move to Gran Canaria - 0 posts
IKEA - 2 posts
ILLEGAL SQUATTERS - 26 posts
Late starter for a Spanish mortgage - 16 posts
Drummer wanted - 0 posts
This is the latest police advice to visitors in Spain: - 0 posts
Villa Rental Southern Spain (Costa Calida region) - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR NEW BUSINESSES - 0 posts
Dog Friendly Beach Fuengirola - 0 posts
Hi all newbie er - 5 posts
Club House - 2 posts
Hi All - 0 posts
Hire a car for the Month of May for €100.... - 1 posts
Month rental - 1 posts
HACIANDA DEL ALAMO GOLF RESORT - 3 posts
Ceiling fans - 2 posts
Long Term Rental rules and advice - 7 posts
Water heater whistles - 12 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Hola! New and moving to Spain!!(Tenerife Los cris) - 2 posts
Real Ale Orihuela Costa - 8 posts
Ziggy - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x