Community apartment ,who pays water damage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2017 10:30 PM by moules Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

The apartment below me is getting rain water in from my outside terrace,The Community don't think they should pay 100% of the remedial work to dig up & re lay the terrace as it is part of my unit. I say it is also part of the outside facia of the building,a structural floor & the roof of the apartment below & therefore a communal responsiblilty. Who´s right? What should I do?

Like 0      
28 Mar 2017 9:52 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I think you answered your own question... By saying it is your terrace so you would be your responable for the up keep and to make sure it had adequate drainage if you have buildings insurance ask them  ...sorry to be blunt .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/03/2017.

Like 1      
28 Mar 2017 10:09 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

My friend had exactly the same issue, unfortunately it was his responsibility. I'm not certain whether his buildings insurance covered it, but think it may have

Like 1      
28 Mar 2017 1:42 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

My terrace forms the roof of the apartment below The communidad informed me that it was our responsibility Luckily the owners below were approachable and we managed to come to a satisfactory compromise 

Like 1      
28 Mar 2017 2:24 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A surveyor´s opinion is needed here. Ask your Insurance about this

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Mar 2017 11:20 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

moules

Our Community has similar problems and after many questions and research, it would appear under 

HPA, communal roofs are part of the facade and communal responsibility

However under the higher

Civil Law, a penthouse roof or solarium or terrace that is ONLY for the use of the owner I.e. No communal access

The responsibility of maintenance and repairs falls to the owner unless you can sue the builder for defects.

Your Escritura should tell you exactly.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 11:58 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just a thought.  

If the terrace is not part of the structure but the property of the person who has use of it, can he/she dig up the terrace  ?

Of course he/she cannot so it cannot be his/her property no more than the roof of an ático can be the property of the ático owner.

As I said, just a thought

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 2:33 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

John

Its as I said HPA regards is as communal.

Civil Law apparently regards it as private.

This is Spain after all.

Perhaps Maria would care to comment.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 3:26 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Own terrace is a privative ( individual) elememt. Its external facing is a commun element.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Mar 2017 8:20 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

There you have it John

Clear as mud

An external terrace is both private and communal.

I suspect that the terrace itself is private but the external walls surrounding it are communal.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Android TV Boxes Supplier in Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Hola! Newbie looking to move to Gran Canaria - 0 posts
IKEA - 2 posts
ILLEGAL SQUATTERS - 26 posts
Late starter for a Spanish mortgage - 16 posts
Drummer wanted - 0 posts
This is the latest police advice to visitors in Spain: - 0 posts
Villa Rental Southern Spain (Costa Calida region) - 0 posts
HELP - LOOKING FOR NEW BUSINESSES - 0 posts
Dog Friendly Beach Fuengirola - 0 posts
Hi all newbie er - 5 posts
Club House - 2 posts
Hi All - 0 posts
Hire a car for the Month of May for €100.... - 1 posts
Month rental - 1 posts
HACIANDA DEL ALAMO GOLF RESORT - 3 posts
Ceiling fans - 2 posts
Long Term Rental rules and advice - 7 posts
Water heater whistles - 12 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Hola! New and moving to Spain!!(Tenerife Los cris) - 2 posts
Real Ale Orihuela Costa - 8 posts
Ziggy - 6 posts
Property Purchase has gone wrong! - 98 posts
Well water - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x