Ownership Of Property And Marriage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Feb 2017 1:49 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Just a query?

A couple are married and one party buys the property as the other person could not be present to sign. In Spanish law does the spouse have equal rights to the property in the event of divorce or breakup?

I've had conflicting information and wondered if anyone can shed any light on this?

Cheers

MIB

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 2:56 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

If you are getting divorced in Spain the courts will try to apply the relevant law of where the marriage was took place

So if you were married in UK and plan to divorce in Spain then the Spanish court will apply English law (or Scottish) where possible

If you are divorcing in the UK then all assets of the marriage will be determined and settled by the courts or in a divorce settlement agreement between both parties and their solicitors 

So in short I would suggest that as the house in Spain it is a joint asset (and possible joint liability if you have a mortgage or debt on the property) via marriage and usage etc. Same as a car, a stereo, garden shed etc

If you are considering a divorce  then suggest you go and see a divorce solicitor ASAP. If it is a general query for wahtever reason again go see a solicitor for certainty

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 3:58 PM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Thanks Tadd - yes it was just a general query - no divorce taking place!

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 4:05 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

pleased to hear no divorce - they are not nice things to experience

so woudl suggest that the house in spain is a joint (marital) asset (and possibly a joint liability)

Like 0      
03 Feb 2017 4:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

From enquires I made 10 years ago I understand that in Spain when a couple get married  the assets which they have remain their property, and on divorce normally one could not claim on them.  Assets acquired after married are joint assets.

I suspect that if the property is in one name then in the event of the owner dying  the inheritance tax for the non-owner spouse would be on 100% of the property. If it is in two names then it would be 50%.   Thus if one is able I think it would be belter to put the property in both names. 

In the case you describe, the other party could give the other a Poder (Power of Attorney) then the person present could sign for the other who would then be a joint owner.

If a person owns a property when they marry then the non-owner spouse will be taxed on 100% of the value.  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/02/2017.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

deposit- yes or no - 5 posts
Dual nationality - 8 posts
harley16 - 1 posts
Lost money on Spanish off-plan property - 22 posts
A week away - 12 posts
Bank Tax or charges - 3 posts
Mortgage associated costs - 0 posts
Mortgage floor cap - 7 posts
Problem with an Insurance Claim - 4 posts
Painter Wanted between 8th to 13th Feb - 0 posts
Donald Trump immigration ban - 159 posts
First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x