I don't have a legal resident contract and my landlord won't help me get an Empadronamiento?!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2016 1:12 AM by rtrow Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,
I've recently moved to Madrid from the UK and will start work next week. I've found a flat and have got my NIE and social security number. Next thing I want to get is my Tarjeta Sanitaria, for which I need the Empadronamiento. However, I'm in a shared flat and I don't have an official rental contract. I asked my landlady but she won't come with me to sign that I'm a resident at her place, and she's telling me that I don't need the Empadronamiento. Is it absolutely essential that I get the Empadronamiento and the Tarjeta Sanitaria? I don't want to lose my fianza but I'll be in Madrid for at least a year, and I'll be paying Social Security so I want to be able to access the things I'm entitled to. Sorry for the long post, any advice would be appreciated!

Like 0      
28 Sep 2016 7:20 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Your rental contract should suffice to get registered in the Padron

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Sep 2016 8:21 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

rtow:     

I have POA for my son. I gave a friend who is living rent free in my son’s apartment a letter to confirm that.  He registered on the Padron, without any problems.

It is in the interests of the town hall to register residents as the town hall get a subsidy for each person on the register.

When  you said you have NIE, in the situation described,   I expect you meant that you have registered on the EU Citizens Register  (often incorrectly called Residencia)

Like 0      
28 Sep 2016 1:11 PM by rtrow Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Maria, I don't have an official rental contract, this is the problem.

John, my landlady does not want to give me the Empadronamiento because she is clearly not paying her taxes (hence why I don't have a rental contract). I have a Numero de Indentificación de Extranjero (NIE). Different from Residencia.

Like 2      
28 Sep 2016 1:57 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You should have a contract. Why do not you have it?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Sep 2016 2:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Let’s not be naive. 

During my years in Spain I have known lots of people who let and lots who have rented. 

Practically nobody renting from a private owner,  and many going through agencies,  have had a legal contract.  Albeit that they may have an informal written agreement between the renter and the owner.  Most owner do not even know that agreements need to be  registered to be legal.

------------------------------------------------

John, my landlady does not want to give me the Empadronamiento because she is clearly not paying her taxes (hence why I don't have a rental contract). I have a Numero de Indentificación de Extranjero (NIE). Different from Residencia.

You are working in Spain thus you are living here, that means you are required to be registered on EU Citizens Register.  So don’t complain too much about your landlady not being legal  You are not either.

And now you want to register on the Padron as a person living in Spain

There is no link or exchange of information between the town hall and the tax office, so that is not a problem for your landlady.

It is not your landlady who ‘gives you the Padron’  it is the town hall who put you on the  Padron (the register of people living in the town).  You do not need any intervention your landlady to register on the Padron.  Just to be able to prove you live in town.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/09/2016.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 3:49 PM by rtrow Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I'm from the UK and I have a NIE and social security number in Spain, therefore I am perfectly 'legal'. So yes, of course I now want to register on the Padron.

It seems like my landlady doesn't want the authorities to know that she has 5 tenants. We each pay her cash and none of us have a legal, official rental contract.

I think you've misunderstood my initial question. I do not have a legal rental contract; as you said, many renters don't in Spain. Without this document, the only way I can prove I am a resident here is if my landlady comes with me to confirm that I am living with her. She takes care of all the bills, and so I do not have any 'official' proof of my residence here.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2016 4:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

rtrow  Please see my PM to you

Like 0      
30 Sep 2016 10:00 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

2 Suggestions

1. Move house

2. Simpoly put your address on the padron and let them investigate. Explain your situation

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Yet Another Rental Car Rip Off - 45 posts
bike test - 4 posts
is it wise to move to Spain post Brexit - 45 posts
Using Spanish words in written or spoken English - 3 posts
Plumber - la Cala de mijas - 0 posts
Liability on a 6 months rental - 3 posts
Esta if you have lived in Spain - 0 posts
Customs duty - 0 posts
Diabetes type 1 - Insulin Depedent - Getting insulin & cost - 4 posts
Parcel service for sending small packets to UK - 8 posts
Satellite TV Costa Blanca South Area - 1 posts
Spanish credit cards - 8 posts
Applying for EU Citizen Registration (forms on line) - 0 posts
Modelo 210 - 8 posts
Tourism Licence - why is ENGLAND not on their list of countries - 6 posts
Mobility scooter - 3 posts
Community owner problem - 16 posts
Driving a foreign car to and in Spain - 6 posts
Healthcare clarification as a resident - 16 posts
Cancelling a direct debit - 8 posts
Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts
Electricity problem... - 17 posts
Car Company - 3 posts
Moving to Spain - 30 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x