Driving a foreign car to and in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Sep 2016 1:30 PM by Pretzel Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I've bought a static caravan on the Costa del Sol and plan to spend most of the year there.  As I won't be a property owner I guess I won't be a resident.  But I will be spending more than 6 months of the year - it'll be a lot more than a holiday home.  The plan is to buy my local (UK) garage owner's French-reg lhd car, which he's brought over to England for me.  (Having difficulty, first of all, in transferring ownership but that's another story!)   From all my headache-inducing googling it seems I must re-register a foreign car in Spain within 6 months, but I cannot own a Spanish-reg car if I'm not a resident!  I could do with some advice please.  If I can get my French-reg car into Spain, what then?  Bearing in mind I'll be there mroe than 6 months but won't be a resident.)  It's looking impossible for me to have a car in Spain!  Thanks in advance

Like 0      
02 Oct 2016 11:06 AM by amespana Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

It doesn't matter if you own property or not,if you spend 183 days or more in Spain you are considered to be a resident.In fact you should register after 3 months.

Like 1      
02 Oct 2016 11:53 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

You can own a Spanish registered car as a non-resident. You just can't drive it in UK if you are a UK resident. 

Like 1      
02 Oct 2016 1:55 PM by xJenny Star rating in Spain/England. 12 posts Send private message

Both I and my Husband own Spanish Reg cars in Spain and we both are not resident, I only know one person who had a French Reg car in Spain and she changed it to Spanish plates, must be the same as having a British Reg car, people change them alright and many are right hand drive cars as well.

We also stay for longer then 6 months 'Sometimes' and never had any problems with anything,  fact no one has every queried it.

Like 1      
02 Oct 2016 2:49 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I would have thought you would have needed an NIE to have bought the static caravan in Spain? If you have an NIE then you will be able to buy a car.

If you do not have an NIE how did you buy the static caravan?

See my post on your other thread regarding seeking expert advice for your own tax status etc.

Like 1      
02 Oct 2016 4:12 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Theoretically you need to be resident or have a property in Spain in order to be able to register a vehicle in your name. Evidence of a property would include a copy of the escritura, rental contract, padron etc, so I think you will have a problem registering it, as you wont have the required supporting documentation. 

This message was last edited by Kathyslad on 02/10/2016.

Like 1      
05 Oct 2016 6:37 PM by Pretzel Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your replies and helpful info.  (As it happens, I have an NIE from previous residence, but I didn't need it to buy my new home.)  And after all this, the French car purchase fell through and I'm buying a Spanish-plate left-hand-drive car here in England to drive to Spain that has all its required paperwork.

Thanks again.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Healthcare clarification as a resident - 16 posts
Cancelling a direct debit - 8 posts
Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts
Electricity problem... - 17 posts
Car Company - 3 posts
Moving to Spain - 30 posts
House to buy - 16 posts
Renting in spain - 1 posts
buying at carver golf resort - 7 posts
Reducing the fly population in community gardens - 3 posts
Handyman needed to fit handle/lock assy to a metal gate - 3 posts
How do we get rid of \ control the flys in our community gardens near our pool - 4 posts
Air con units - 2 posts
Recording TV programs from a MAG250 box - 2 posts
Newspapers in spain - 4 posts
New Years Eve Los Boliches - 11 posts
Poor Quality Food in Spain and tasteless veg - 42 posts
For sale Glass top coffee table - 0 posts
Furniture Store Recommendations - 8 posts
Lack of Insurance - 5 posts
Driving car in Spain with UK road tax. - 4 posts
Spanish tutor in the Santiago Del La Ribera area - 0 posts
2015 Non resident Modelo 210 Tax Return - 2 posts
Cost of New AirCon Vera Playa - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x