Cancelling a direct debit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2016 11:22 AM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

I have a problem with the water company - Aqualia.  I left my house over 9 years for another one in a different part of the country.  Each month in those years I have been debited by Aqualia for about €12.00 for whatever, mostly I suspect for the meter, which is still in situ, and things like sanitation etc.  Last month I was debited almost €75.00 with a water consumtion charge of €32.69.  I immediately went on to the so-called customer service section and asked why.  No rwply to that or the three other emails I sent.  I then sent them an email stating that I will cancel my direct debit with them unless they provide an explanation of why the charge has gone up 6-fold.  They can't have read the meter because it is inside and the house is locked up.

If I do cancel the direct debit could there be any expensive repurcussions on me, the vagaries of Spanish law are multiple and I do not know what my rights are in this respect if a company refuses to reply to questions.  Thank you.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2016 11:58 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

If you still own the property you will still get water bills. The majority of those bills is standing charges and tax, not just meter rental (which continues) but, depending on the water company, rubbish removal, sewerage etc. No idea why your last one showed a water useage unless you have outside irrigation or someone used the outside tap.

If you cancel the payments, the water will be cut off and probably cost more to have it reconnected. 

Like 0      

bobaol´s avatar

If you still own the property you will still get water bills. The majority of those bills is standing charges and tax, not just meter rental (which continues) but, depending on the water company, rubbish removal, sewerage etc. No idea why your last one showed a water useage unless you have outside irrigation or someone used the outside tap.

If you cancel the payments, the water will be cut off and probably cost more to have it reconnected. 

Like 0      

bobaol´s avatar

Like 0      
16 Sep 2016 6:56 AM by Bisse Star rating in spain. 3 posts Send private message

Get in Contact with Ombudsman, and file a Claim Immidately !!! As long as the Claim Runs, the Company IS LEGALLY  NOT IN CHARGE unttil a settlement has taken place .  So you CAN TECHNICALLY  withdaw AFTER filing the Claim by  The Ombudsman !!!

Please look for File a claim under the Attention Cliente, there,  there should be a Link to the Ombudsman ! You can file it ONLINE  The Ombudsman Office  also has English Spoken on the Field, so write your claim in the Language that suits you best !

This message was last edited by Bisse on 16/09/2016.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2016 10:52 AM by Plantagenet Star rating in Jaen. 32 posts Send private message

Plantagenet´s avatar

Thank you Bisse.  I have Googled 'Spanish Ombudsman' and looked at the pages I found most appropriate but it would appear from those that the Ombudsman cannot act or intervene in a case between a member of the public and a private organisation - it seems that the Ombudsman is limited to intervening between a resident and a governmental organisation.  Or maybe I am looking at the wrong Ombudsman page.  There is no Attention Client section on the Aqualia website and the only contact section is the one I have already used four times, to no avail.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2016 11:47 AM by Bisse Star rating in spain. 3 posts Send private message

Hey Again...I have just sent you the Link in a private message...Sorry that I cant add it here...since I am obviously too new here...

BUT I ALSO ADDED THE LINK TO MY PROFILE...SO THAT IF ANYONE ELSE NEED THE SAME KIND OF HELP...EITHER LOOK AT MY PROFILE OR JUST ASK AND I WILL SEND IT IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE !!!

NOW CLAIM Plantagenet !!! Please let me know the developements...

When You claim, remember to add your written letters that was unanswered as Proof .!!!

When You get an email that Claim has been filed , THEN withdraw the Money from Your Bank Account !!!!

This message was last edited by Bisse on 16/09/2016.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2016 12:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

16 Sep 2016 1:44 PM by Bisse Star rating in spain. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks Johnzx !!! Really kind of you !!!!!!!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts
Electricity problem... - 17 posts
Car Company - 3 posts
Moving to Spain - 30 posts
House to buy - 16 posts
Renting in spain - 1 posts
buying at carver golf resort - 7 posts
Reducing the fly population in community gardens - 3 posts
Handyman needed to fit handle/lock assy to a metal gate - 3 posts
How do we get rid of \ control the flys in our community gardens near our pool - 4 posts
Air con units - 2 posts
Recording TV programs from a MAG250 box - 2 posts
Newspapers in spain - 4 posts
New Years Eve Los Boliches - 11 posts
Poor Quality Food in Spain and tasteless veg - 42 posts
For sale Glass top coffee table - 0 posts
Furniture Store Recommendations - 8 posts
Lack of Insurance - 5 posts
Driving car in Spain with UK road tax. - 4 posts
Spanish tutor in the Santiago Del La Ribera area - 0 posts
2015 Non resident Modelo 210 Tax Return - 2 posts
Cost of New AirCon Vera Playa - 2 posts
where can I buy car tools, battery charger - 10 posts
Green Health Card farce - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x