Spanish credit cards

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2016 4:19 PM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

I am resident in Spain & have a Spanish Visa card.  Do I have the same protection for goods over 100€ as I did in the UK.  There was an article on Martins Money Tips today that even in UK you loose that protection if you use the credit card to pay by PayPal. 

Like 0      
21 Sep 2016 4:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It may depend upon the conditions which were on the form the you signed.

I suggest you check that first and if not there, then your bank.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2016 4:41 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I am resident in Spain & have a Spanish Visa card.  Do I have the same protection for goods over 100€ as I did in the UK.  There was an article on Martins Money Tips today that even in UK you loose that protection if you use the credit card to pay by PayPal. 

Don't you have to register a bank account and a credit card with PayPal, so if you paid via PayPal your protection for the goods is with PayPal, who in turn take the money from your bank account or credit card.

Like 2      
21 Sep 2016 5:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

KNJ    

Not that it really matters here, but I cancelled my Spanish Credit Card as I was having to pay a maintenance fee.  I now use my UK based one which is free of all charges and with which I get the very best of exchange rates.

Incidentally, as from 19th Sept one can now open an account with Nationwide in UK  as long as you are an EU resident. One does not need any more to be living in Uk.

Like 1      
21 Sep 2016 5:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

KNJ.

I presume you live in Spain as you said resident, if you open a Nationwide account it will be what they call Nationwide International Account which gives you no rights on a UK Nationwide account.

Of course this has no bearing what so ever on your original post.

Like 1      
21 Sep 2016 6:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

KNJ    

Well just to make it clear.

My wife is non EU national, we live in Spain.

I can now add her to my UK Nationwide accounts, 3 x Flex, 2 x saving accounts,  and she can open an account in her own right.  I spoke to the bank on Friday last and they confirmed that. The only problem at present, which I have questioned,  is that she must present her ID in a UK branch of Nationwide.  For those who tavel back and forth that would be no problem

As I said one need only to reside in EU

What I have posted has nothing whatsoever to do with Nationwide international in Isle of Man. If it had I would have said so.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2016 7:20 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 9/21/2016 8:45:00 PM.

Like 1      
21 Sep 2016 7:20 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Just to clear up misconceptions about the protection offered by any form of credit (not debit card) issued in the U.K.

1) The value of the goods needs to be between £100 and £30,000

2) The payment has to be made direct to the supplier and not through a third party  (e.g. paypall, or on Amazon Market Place etc. )

3) The credit does not need to be any minimum. i.e. you can pay £0.01 on your credit card for a purchase of £29,999 and the credit company is liable for the whole £29,999 if there is a major problem.

I have been informed that this protection is for purchases world wide but I have my doubts. However, at the moment, I am certain that any purchase within the E.U. is covered by this protection. If I am wrong I expect my in box to be full up in the blink of an eye.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2016 7:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

In the past, I have successfully reclaimed money from my credit card company on goods purchased via Paypal, because PP do not abide by the rules that other merchants have to. The credit card company will just retrieve it from Paypal (there is a t&c in the Paypal sign up that says you are in breach of contract if you go down this route and they can pursue you or close your account). I do not keep a balance of any sort on my Paypal account so I can prove when I make a payment it is for the goods I have said it is for. You can have a bit of a fight with your card company, but at the ened of the day the consumer credit act overrides any T&C's written by a 3rd party.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Applying for EU Citizen Registration (forms on line) - 0 posts
Modelo 210 - 8 posts
Tourism Licence - why is ENGLAND not on their list of countries - 6 posts
Mobility scooter - 3 posts
Community owner problem - 16 posts
Driving a foreign car to and in Spain - 6 posts
Healthcare clarification as a resident - 16 posts
Cancelling a direct debit - 8 posts
Childs safety gate - 3 posts
BMN bank - 7 posts
Electricity problem... - 17 posts
Car Company - 3 posts
Moving to Spain - 30 posts
House to buy - 16 posts
Renting in spain - 1 posts
buying at carver golf resort - 7 posts
Reducing the fly population in community gardens - 3 posts
Handyman needed to fit handle/lock assy to a metal gate - 3 posts
How do we get rid of \ control the flys in our community gardens near our pool - 4 posts
Air con units - 2 posts
Recording TV programs from a MAG250 box - 2 posts
Newspapers in spain - 4 posts
New Years Eve Los Boliches - 11 posts
Poor Quality Food in Spain and tasteless veg - 42 posts
For sale Glass top coffee table - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x