Closing bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Aug 2016 1:34 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

If 4 people are named on account in Spain Do all 4 need to go to close account down as this wouldn't be possible there are 2 main holders who only get jnfo on account could one of them do it thanks

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 4:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry to seem so obvious, but have you asked the bank what they would like you to do ?

Of course if there was a problem,  if you just stopped using the account, job done.-

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 6:17 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Yes the other branch that is near us said everyone has to go in this is not possible as the branch is Alicante 

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 8:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The other account holders could write to the bank and give them instructions.

Or as I said, withdraw the funds and stop using the account.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 10:02 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

We transferred our money out and then emailed the bank (from the UK) to say that we wished to close the account. No problem, job done. Although I'm sure that you could just transfer the money out and stop using the account, like John has suggested.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 10:30 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

If you are a non-resident you are best also writing to them and telling them that the account is closed, otherwise you may get hit for their bi-annual certificate charge.  Being banks the charge is generated automatically without any thought and you may find they are hassling you for payment.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 12:45 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I closed a Banco Sabadell down with just me signing, wife was not with me.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 1:10 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Was your wife on the account as well what do you have to take with you to close it down thanks  did you need letter from your wife awaiting bank getting back to me this could take ages if you can let me know please

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 1:20 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

With an ECB rate of Zero% do any banks charge fees for banking with them? Mark Carney has intimated that if the UK goes to Zero% that UK banks would possibly charge for banking with them. I mention this as having a plethora of dormant bank accounts could be a costly business.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 1:24 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

My wife was on the account, no letter from her, i did it myself, have you never give your solicitor POA at anytime maybe they could do it on behalf of you all ?

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 1:27 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

What do you have to take with you to close down passport Ni number etc so you didn't even need to take any I'd of your wife's either hope 1 can close down as to far awY Alicante 

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 1:44 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I took nothing of my wifes, i had my passport, but i would take every thing just in case, NIE, Passport, Utill Bill, Driving Docs, anything.i spoke to them on the phone  on the phone trying to close it, they would not have it, they told me to do it with online banking, but i could not do it that way, as i had never set up online banking, So i had to go in branch so i told them via email what i was going to do weeks before, Also they told me i could do it in the uk if i went to the branch in London, but that as no good for me.Has you bank not got a branch in the UK, Thats if you are in the UK

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 1:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I realise that all the posts here are hoping to be helpful but what happens with one bank or even one branch of a bank, is very unlikely to have any bearing on what happens elsewhere.   

The OP needs to do what is required by their branch.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 1:56 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Just giving the OP some ideas, trying help, just like they have asked for.???

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 2:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I&H   Could you maybe tell us which bank and which branch you are having the problem with ?  That way maybe someone with specific knowledge of that branch can help you. or I will call the branch for you and ask what they require.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/08/2016.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 2:26 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Bankia Alicante that would be good if you officia 9935 

Like 0      
08 Aug 2016 2:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just called the branch (965980098)  They said,   if any of the account holders cannot attend the bank they should just send a letter with their instructions to do so..

What  I said many posts back was, "The other account holders could write to the bank and give them instructions".

PS With experience of 30 years banking in Spain,   I would suggest you ask the bank if they make a charge to close the account. If they do, withdraw all but a few cents from the account before you close it.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/08/2016.

Like 1      
08 Aug 2016 3:03 PM by I&H Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

08 Aug 2016 6:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED - **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 8/8/2016 6:22:00 PM.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

to say hello - 2 posts
HOUSE SITTIG - 0 posts
confused - 10 posts
Jean Here.. - 0 posts
Sip Card Problem - 12 posts
Mobile phone provider in Murcia region - 3 posts
Road from Bilbao to Alicante - 5 posts
why do we have to have community rules when the chosen few will not follow them - 23 posts
NIE certificate period of validity. - 1 posts
One-off tenant in propoerty, is it worth it? - 4 posts
Selling property in Spain. - 2 posts
Very sensible petition on Air conditioning requirement in Andalucia tourist properties - 0 posts
New reductions for IHT in Andalucía- July 2016 - 6 posts
La alcaidesa - 1 posts
Legal alicante - 0 posts
Taxis - 9 posts
Suggestion For good Spanish Names for new born baby? - 5 posts
IKEA Murcia - 2 posts
Spanish Bank Bureaucracy - 11 posts
Driving my English car in Spain - 52 posts
Whatsapp Calls made without any user intervention - 2 posts
Camper van/ motor home hire - 1 posts
Hi Everyone - 9 posts
Golf bag - 0 posts
Wedding in Spain- help needed! - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x