confused

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2016 4:19 PM by Torsas Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi,first post,I am so confused over an FLO ,AFO, Cedula de Habitabilidad,our property was built in 1970, we bought it in 1997, live in it full time, all the stamps are in the right place,the estate agent is asking for an FLO or an AFO ,the council say we have to get an independent surveyor before one or the other is issued , another thing is the property was never registered, the notary took the money but "forgot"!, reading on this forum it appears that only new property needs an FLO, 

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 12:21 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

The licence of first occupation is valid for 5 years. If you sell after that period, a second LFO is required. If no changes have been made to the property as shown on the deeds it should be fairly routine to get one.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 8:55 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Torsaa, the comment from Mariedav is quite right and it makes sense to obtain one now if this is easily done. 

But the importance of the document, or otherwise, depends on where abouts you are in Spain.  I'm in Murcia where there are literally 1,000s of properties without Habitation Certificates and it doesn't seem to matter at all - they are bought and sold without comment.

Your solicitor will be able to advise you of the necessity in your area.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 9:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Torsas:  another thing,  the property was never registered,

If by that you mean you were never registered as the owner,  in the Property Registry of the local authority, I assume you cannot sell it until you are.

It was you as the new owner who should have register the property, paying the necessary fees,  not the notary.

In fact you may have been lucky that the person who is registered did not sell the property from under you,  as on paper they are still the owners.

I would recommend you take some legal advice ASAP

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 11:10 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It's good few years since I sold a property (last one was 2008!) so maybe I missed something - but I've sold a few over the years and have never needed, nor ever heard of anyone needing, a licence of first occupation in order to sell. I've been reading and contributing to this forum virtually since it's inception, and I don't recall ever having heard this before. I can understand someone not wanting to buy a (new build) property without one, but I don't think it's a legal requirement to sell. I wonder why the estate agent is asking for it? I'm sure it's something to do with the fact that you never registered the property in your name and perhaps questions over the legality of the property.

Also, agree with John, it's not a notary's job to register a property in your name at the land registry - nor, do I think, the notary "took the money". Unless of course he also happened to be the seller!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 12:55 PM by Torsas Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies,we live in Almeria province, it was like the wild west when we bought,we never used a solicitor 'cos most of them were related to a so called estate agent,we were told by the notary that if we were going to sell in the next 2 yrs we had no need to register the property,but we paid the notary to register it, also a property does not have to be registered to sell (solicitor told us the buyer can sought that out )

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 2:02 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Unsure about the advice you've received.  If I was your buyer I might get cold feet, but possibly a local or someone who did not know or care might be less cautious.  Good luck.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 2:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

John said "I would recommend you take some legal advice ASAP"

Ditto that, and good luck surprise

A little light reading on the subject of registering your property for anyone interested: http://www.registradores.org/wp-content/revista/otros/guideAIpp/ Turn to page 26

This message was last edited by Roberto on 07/08/2016.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 3:03 PM by Torsas Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

The property was inherited,and it has never been registered,we have had so much conflicting advice from 3 different legals,we pay IBI,electric,water etc,tomorrow the estate agent is going to market it, so will keep in touch with you all.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2016 3:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"we bought it in 1997....the notary took the money"

"The property was inherited"

Confused? Not surprised, me too!

Mark Twain

Like 1      
07 Aug 2016 6:12 PM by Torsas Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello, Me again! We only found out a month ago that the property was inherited from someone ? It actually had power installed (meter taken out ?) we pay ALL the bills, we also confronted the notary concerning the so called registration,he said it was to long ago !! Anyway we will see what progresses this week! (With luck we may be living in Sweden before Xmas!)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jean Here.. - 0 posts
Sip Card Problem - 12 posts
Mobile phone provider in Murcia region - 3 posts
Road from Bilbao to Alicante - 5 posts
why do we have to have community rules when the chosen few will not follow them - 23 posts
NIE certificate period of validity. - 1 posts
One-off tenant in propoerty, is it worth it? - 4 posts
Selling property in Spain. - 2 posts
Very sensible petition on Air conditioning requirement in Andalucia tourist properties - 0 posts
New reductions for IHT in Andalucía- July 2016 - 6 posts
La alcaidesa - 1 posts
Legal alicante - 0 posts
Taxis - 9 posts
Suggestion For good Spanish Names for new born baby? - 5 posts
IKEA Murcia - 2 posts
Spanish Bank Bureaucracy - 11 posts
Driving my English car in Spain - 52 posts
Whatsapp Calls made without any user intervention - 2 posts
Camper van/ motor home hire - 1 posts
Hi Everyone - 9 posts
Golf bag - 0 posts
Wedding in Spain- help needed! - 18 posts
Looking for a Concert Band in San Javier area - 0 posts
Federación Andaluza de Caza - 3 posts
Does Terrorism unite or divide us? - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x