Flight Compensation

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jun 2016 6:29 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have an interesting conundrum for my legal eagle friends here.

Yesterday, 2nd June, a friend was booked on a flight from London to Alicante. When she arrived at the check-in in the morning she was informed that the flight had been cancelled due to the French Air Traffic Control industrial action. Eventually the airline offered a hotel and rebooked her on a flight to Valencia the next day. If she had 'insisted' on her original route the earliest she could have flown was about Wednesday of next week. So far everything seems 'acceptable' but not very pleasant or convenient.

The truth is that on Wednesday evening the French called off the strike action and it now emerges that the reason for all the flight cancellations was a precaution by the airlines.

My question is, is she entitled to claim the compensation from the airline for her flight being late under the E.U. 261 regulations flight compensation scheme? By the way the airline sent her an e-mail at about 19:00 Thursday apologising for the cancellation etc. and that they will pick up the bill for reasonable expenses (hotel) but that as they were not responsible for the delay no EU 261 comp.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 7:58 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The best you can hope for is that you paid for the flight with a credit card otherwise you have got one big fight on you hands, I had a flight cancelled do to the French two years ago I asked the booking agency for my money back and they refused so I had to make a claim from the credit card company I promptly got a claim from the booking agency claiming it was not their fault so pay up or you will be taken to court I promptly told them to go and love themselves haven't heard anything since.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 8:27 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Wintalker, thanks for your response. However,as far as I understand the EU 216 regs. if a flight is delayed or cancelled and it is the 'responsibility' of the airline then they should pay up. My contention is that on the day there was no French ATC strike. The airlines had decided Wednesday evening to cancel Thursdays flights. If the strike had gone ahead then the actions taken were correct and no compensation should be due.

The action taken by the airline so far has been to pay for a hotel, pay for taxis to and from hotel, fly her next day for 'free' and possibily public transport from Valencia to Alicante. These amounts are more than the cost of the flight and she has 'got home'. However she will be 24 hours late.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 10:58 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

One thing I do know as well if it helps anyone, when you hear of any cancellations perhaps affecting your flights make sure you turn up as if you were going, had a friend who didn't turn up because he was advised that the flights could be cancelled, hell of a job getting anything done about it, Airports comments were,  if you wern't here how do you know if we did fly.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 11:55 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

The fact that the airline provided you with hotel taxi's etc and an alternative flight would probably suffice for any claims and compensation etc

Had the airline not done this then you may have a claim

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 8:43 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

An interesting case.  If the facts are as stated I would speculate that a compensation claim would be turned down.  On the face of it they behaved reasonably if they truly cancelled the flights based on the probability of the strike the next day.

But possibly some more ferreting is needed.  Airlines seem to occasionally blame "strikes" for cancellations whereas in reality they need to do so for operational reasons eg lack of pilots which EasyJet did a few years ago when they had a row with their pilots.

If they cancelled all flights that would be effective their reason is probably justified - if they cancelled just a few there might be some other reason.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2016 11:48 PM by blueeyes Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention other sites, but that nice man called Mr Lewis who likes to save you money has a section dedicated to this. Read before you post though, the folks who run that bit don't suffer fools gladly.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Santiago De La Ribera - 2 posts
Collecting nie number - 3 posts
New Rental Rules, info re tenants to police - 0 posts
Buying a Property With Squatters in It? - 22 posts
Making a Power of Attorney (Poder) in Spain. - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 8 posts
Will Other Spanish Regions follow Barcelona - 15 posts
Rentals Question - 4 posts
Brittany Ferries - 0 posts
FOR SALE - Household Misc Items - 0 posts
Semi New Spinning Bike for Sale - 0 posts
Making a Will in Spain - 10 posts
Lawyer required - 11 posts
Reliable estate agent in Costa Calida/South Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Insure a Quad Trecking business - 7 posts
Spanish Residencia for Americanos - 4 posts
IT ALL STARTED AT EYEONSPAIN! CostaLuz-Decastro VICTORY AT THE SUPREME COURT FOR OFF PLAN BUYERS - 32 posts
Urbanisation turns out to be built on rustic land... buy or run ? - 8 posts
HELP WITH FINDING SCHOOLS NEAR ESTEPONA. - 0 posts
Experimento linguístico para mi tesis - 0 posts
Ladies Hairdresser in Estepona/Manilva - 0 posts
Golf Developments With Heated Swimming Pools - 12 posts
LON TERM RENTAL - 0 posts
Osteoarthritis in knees and spain - 1 posts
Driving in Spain in a Motorhome - 32 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x