Driving in Spain in a Motorhome

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2016 7:02 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Marcbernard how are the police going put penalty points for speeding and the likes if the new occupiers of you're old address have not got a bloody clue who you are  everyone has to be held accountable and traceable these days with terrorism .even the tax Dodger's and the Fiddler's in Spain .

Like 0      
19 May 2016 7:08 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Perhaps you should advise the DVLA on the dilemma!

It is for DVLA to operate the system.

I understand that any points lost (or gained) would be on the record, and this is the checking point for any infringement.

I am glad I don´t play the violin then!

Like 0      
19 May 2016 7:30 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Fact of the matter is that it is an offence to use a UK DL in the UK without a valid address printed on it - however, a valid EU style UK DL is also fine to use in Spain, probably because Spanish DL's dont have an address on them 

Like 0      
19 May 2016 7:33 PM by alby2 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Oh dear I hope I havent upset the apple cart here

OK my intention is to spend no more than 6 months in Spain as there are implications to my licence so my licence would remain UK for the longest time as long as I dont grow roots anywhere in particular but keep on moving however the point was made that I could use a lawyer to use that address to get NIE etc but perhaps this is where the conundrum is. Its OK for the rich to own many properties in many countries but not us & No I wouldnt "own" the lawyers address simply its a means to an end

Help me out pls Mickey

Like 0      
19 May 2016 7:56 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Alby.

If you don't intend to remain in Spain for more than 6 months in any 12 you don't need to complicate your life by getting an NIE or registering on the padron.Nor do you need a lawyers address your UK address will be fine for everything you need.

Strictly speaking after 90 days in Spain you are regarded as a resident and under the letter of law required to register fiscally. Almost no one I know actually does unless they want to be a property owner and get Spanish medical care. 

Remain a tourist and enjoy your travelling. The moment you buy a property your life just gets more complicated and expensive. In any case with the risk the UK could leave the EU; I would at least wait until after the referendum result before doing anything.

Good luck.

Like 0      
19 May 2016 8:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

My goodness, there's more mis-information on this thread than Our Tony could dish out down the pub on any given night! (And that's not to mention the unbelievably shocking spelling and grammar throughout).

Alby, I get the distinct impression you are young ("Sud Espania"? Not "cooleo"!) and fancy living the nomadic lifestyle for a while. Good for you. You have given no indication of how you intend to support this lifestyle, and it's nobody's business, but I would suggest that the cost of returning to the UK once a year to renew your MoT on a UK registered van, preferably LHD (plenty available), registered, taxed & insured at a family or friend's address, would be neglible compared to the cost and compications of becoming entrenched in Spanish bureaucracy. Simply, you don't need the hassle.

Personally, I think you've come to the wrong site. You would be far better off looking at motorhoming sites & forums (as someone already suggested) This place is over-populated by bar-room lawyers who will only fry your brains with incorrect or irrlevant information. Have a look here for starters, and good luck! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
28 Sep 2021 12:05 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, This thread is a little out of date, does anyone have any up to date information on this in post Brexit times? Looking to insure a motorhome for European travel as a brit. So complicated! So much conflicting info out there! Any advice welcome!

Like 0      
29 Sep 2021 8:37 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Good Morning

This website might help you in your enquiry. Go to services in the Tab Bar and then scroll down to Motorhomes for your information which up todate for 2021

https://www.insuranceinspain.com/motorhome-insurance.html

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 29/09/2021.

Nigel

Like 0      
25 Nov 2021 1:21 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Thanks so much Nigel, that was very helpful info that Finally led me to the solution! What a complex web of rules and regulations!

Like 0      
25 Nov 2021 6:02 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You can no longer use EU GB plates. But you can still use plates with National Flags for travel within the UK. And there are also the green badges for Zero-Emission Vehicles. Anyone wanting to drive abroad can still use number plates with the UK Overseas Badge.

Like 0      
26 Nov 2021 3:02 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

So many rules, so many regulations, so many changes. So little time! Thanks everyone for the help and information!

Like 0      
27 Nov 2021 2:57 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Anyone else out there lost in this legal quagmire like we were, give Efpg a call. Ask for Scarlett, she was so helpful and a gold-mine of information and knowledge on the Spanish system and regs. www.efpg.es

Like 0      
27 Nov 2021 2:59 PM by barry222 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

Hmmm not sure why that link doesn't work, let me try it this way https://www.efpg.es/ Thanks everyone!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CHANNEL 4 LOOKING FOR NEW EXPAT BUSINESSES FOR TV SERIES - 0 posts
I successfully got my bank deposit back!! - 13 posts
Young family wanting to know best place for expats in Alicante region - 3 posts
The British College vs Benalmadena International College - 0 posts
fed up with paypal rip off - 2 posts
Crown Pensions will be taken in consideration in Spain as from this year. - 16 posts
Check lists to buy - 6 posts
Business Partner Wanted - 0 posts
Making an English will from Spain - 6 posts
?scam email - 3 posts
movoing to gran canaria - 0 posts
Looking to move to spain - 1 posts
Unpaid Communal Fees - 34 posts
e-liquids - 0 posts
Notary & Land Registry Fees - 3 posts
Water Filters in Sierra Golf. Are you using one? - 3 posts
LEY 57/1968 WON CASE in FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAJAMAR CAJA RURAL FOR 9 OF OUR CLIENTS WHO PURCHASED OFF-PLAN PROPERTIES FROM THE DEVELOPER PROMOCIONES EUROHOUSE S.L. AT FORTUNA GOLF RESORT, LOS BALCONES DEL VALLE & APARTAMENTOS TURISTICOS PUEBLO LA - 0 posts
Discount Codes for DFS in San Javier - 0 posts
Register car in spain confused - 4 posts
Register car in spain - 0 posts
Send mobile top up - 0 posts
Moving to spain from the UK- - 6 posts
Kitchen Install Problems - 4 posts
EU Welfare Benefits - 5 posts
Trade a scrap car in for a new one - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x