Spain to Stop Siestas

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Apr 2016 7:39 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Couldn't they compromise and have the siestas from May-September?

After all, it's only required in the hot months

Like 1      
09 Apr 2016 9:57 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Couldn't they leave well alone, like don't fix something that aint broke, after all it is Spains way of life,  is it such a big problem.... Compared to whats happening in the world these days.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 09/04/2016.

Like 1      
10 Apr 2016 9:11 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Whilst out last night for dinner this topic was discussed with 2 Spanish couples and their view was that so what if you wnat a sleep in the afternoon then do so but if you wish to work again then do so - generally they found it more of an inconvenience having to leave work and return later and they preferred the Northern Europe (culture!!!!).

As for the time change they did not care either way

None of them regularly took a "traditional siesta and" and they suggested that the only ones who did were small children and the older generation.

One who works at the locay DIY store simply said when the store clsoes at 1:30 she does other chores such as cleaning and shopping may visit her Mum for lunch etc. but has not slept during a siesta for years

yes this was with only a small sample of the Spanish population so It would be good to get some more Spanish views instead of the expat comments on how they see Spanish culture based on the "living the dream" tainted views

Like 1      
10 Apr 2016 10:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/customs/siesta

Spain's famous siesta brings on a sense of calm and tranquility amidst the hustle and bustle of everyday life. However, to many tourists, it is merely a cause of frustration and confusion. Between the hours of 2pm and 5pm, Spain shuts down to allow the locals to rest after a long and hectic morning and prepare for the busy afternoon. Meanwhile, the common tourist invariably chooses this time to stroll the streets for their souvenir-shopping, newspaper or sightseeing, only to find the shops closed and the streets empty…

La siesta literally translates as a short nap of 15-30 minutes. However, this definition is far from the 3 hour break taken in the middle of the working day. Siesta has spread all over Spain, South America, the Philippines, the Middle East and North Africa. La siesta is a necessity and the reason is that around 2pm, the heat temperature reaches its peak and it is simply too hot to be outside. Hence the locals take a siesta and wait in the comfort of their own homes for the heat to subside.

However, this is not always the case. In areas such as Northern Spain, Southern Argentina and Chile where the heat doesn't always warrant such evasive action, la siesta has gone from being a necessity to a luxury and even a habit. Because the working day is broken up, the modern siesta is the time working people go home and spend time with their family or friends, and not necessarily take a nap. Often, families will use it as a time to have a long family lunch.

Some theorists date the origin of la siesta back to the Spanish Civil War. The war brought extreme poverty to many Spaniards, meaning they were forced to have mutiple jobs. It has been argued that the siesta was the period during which they had to eat their late lunch, due to their unusual working hours. However, whatever the origins of la siesta, it is now as firmly established in the Spanish psyche as flamenco and fiesta, and is a habit that may be difficult to break. La siesta is one of the strongest Spanish traditions, and most probably, one of the easiest to embrace as a foreigner…

Like 0      
10 Apr 2016 10:54 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

traditions across the globe are normally a choice and often become part of one's own indivdual culture or custom by way of passing the it down through generations

Many traditions and customs have outlived their uses and are no longer practised or part of peopel's cultures for many reasons. None should be forced or mandatory

Life moves on and things change often to meet the needs of many for today, tomorrow. and the future

Like 0      
10 Apr 2016 12:00 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

I'm not crazy about Christmas, Easter, Whitsuntide, November 5th and many other celebatory events, however I appear to be in the minority, so I go along with them as there isn't a choice. Since I retired one day can appear to be exactly the same as the next, perhaps these traditional holidays have a meaning in makiing them different and bringing people together in friendship, even if they don't mean it. wink

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
11 Apr 2016 4:25 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Spain is in a false timezone. I think it changed during the Civil War to align with CET and to suit Hitler. Look at a map and find Madrid is to the west of London, not the east. 

Like 0      
11 Apr 2016 5:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tenerife I think probably most are fully aware of your point about the time zone.  But I do not see what that has to do with Siestas !

It has been a suggested that UK too adopt the same time zone as Spain, as they did when double summertime was in effect in UK during WW2.  I personally very much appreciate that we have daylight for 2 hours more in Summer and one more in winter than we would if 'real' time zones were applied.  How a country use time is a matter for each country, and need not be governed by geographic time rules

Like 0      
11 Apr 2016 5:53 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Johnzx,

Was that to put me in my place!

Like 1      
11 Apr 2016 5:57 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Our American relatives tell us that most of their neighbours (North Carolina) consider all Hispanics as being bone idle folk who sleep for most of the day. As only a small percentage of Americans ever leave the USA's borders (including visits to Canada and Mexico), I can only conclude that they get their information from TV and the cinema. I've visited Spain during most months and have seen workers beavering away on building sites in the cooler months, this would be an impossibility in Summer, I wouldn't consider gardening in the heat of a UK summer's day, let alone in Spain during August. I appreciate that air conditioning in buildings and vehicles has made a considerable difference to many Spanish working patterns, but I can't see the siesta coming to an end.  

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 11/04/2016.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2016 6:17 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Ah, the Great American Passport myth. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago but Americans are now rather a well travelled lot with well over 100 million of them having passports and anywhere you go you will see the Americans. Rather a well travelled lot nowadays.

However, Rajoy's main point is the time zone. Yes, they may get the extra hour in the evening but he reckons that it is wasted as they stay in work longer. The "prime time" on Spanish TV is a good two hours after everyone else and, just as they have finished their evening meal and sit down to watch, those in Germany are toddling off to bed. Many Spaniards either miss breakfast (because they've been up so late) or have it later in the morning when their European counterparts have already been in work for a couple of hours at least. Just as some of them are going back to work at 4 or 4:30 or even 5, their European counterparts are getting ready to go home. 

He also reckons kids are very tired in the morning (his words, not mine) because they've been up so late the night before they are not interested in early starts. The same with the 2 hour school break. Loads of kids just sit around from break to re-start because the whole time would be gone by the time they got home and back again.

As already mentioned, Torrevieja has lost out on a lot of business from the cruise ships coming in. Alicante opens during the afternoon when the passengers so took on the cruise destination.

Still, I'll probably just sit in the chair and fall asleep as usual no matter what the outcome. 

Like 0      
12 Apr 2016 4:11 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

This thread has been 'cleaned'. Please keep the posts relevant and without provocation. Thanks

Like 1      
12 Apr 2016 5:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ah, the Great American Passport myth. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago but Americans are now rather a well travelled lot with well over 100 million of them having passports and anywhere you go you will see the Americans. Rather a well travelled lot nowadays.

Forgive me for going off thread but I wanted to comment on that.

About 25 years ago I went to USA bought a motorhome and drove about 20,000 miles in around 5 months. On the East and West coasts people seemed more or less as people are in Europe. However, in the 'big space' between the coasts, where I spoke to lots of people they displayed an ignorance of almost anywhere but maybe their state or even just their town. I had many question like, ‘Do you have electricity where you come from? TV ? Telephones ? etc.

When I tuned in to world news on shortwave I got very occasionally maybe one item of news about somewhere other than USA., usually Mexico. Even the World Series baseball only includes USA teams.

When I tried to use a passport when paying with Traveller’s Cheques I almost invariably was ask for a Driving Licence, and of course ¡¡a UK DL was a complete and useless mystery. I eventually took a Driving Rest and got a USA DL. That solved problems although occasionally even that provoked a question as to why I was not in ‘my state’.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2016 5:40 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I eventually took a Driving Rest and got a USA DL.

All within 5 months -  yeah right

Like 1      
12 Apr 2016 5:47 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Was the Driving Rest taken during a siesta? wink

Like 2      
12 Apr 2016 5:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Holy Thread Drift, Batman!

Time for a nap, I reckon.

Like 2      
12 Apr 2016 6:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Re USA driving test.    I believe I booked the test, for the next or the following day after I applied. I spent a couple of days reading the State version of the Highway code and passed. They issued the DL immediately.  Taking the test in my Ford Fiesta was a doddle after driving the 29 ft RV towing  the Fiesta  (not 'siesta' ) on a T bar

I cannot remember any questions about me not being a USA citizen.     I just checked on the internet and see one NOW needs proof of residence and a  'drugs user'  test

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/04/2016.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2016 6:29 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

During a work break, that I will refer to as a siesta, my son took and passed his HGV test within 28 days of stepping into the cab for the first time.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2016 6:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd:   I eventually took a DrivingTest and got a USA DL.

All within 5 months -  yeah right

No within a day or two.  I said,  I drove about 20,000 miles in five months, I had no time to wait around anywhere to take a Driving Test.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/04/2016.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2016 6:43 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

May we please remind all members that being respectful and polite in Private Messages is a requirement to be a member of EOS. If you insult or abuse other members via PM you will most likely be banned from the site. Thanks

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Budgeting for Living - 5 posts
Panama Papers, tax evaders - 4 posts
private hire drivers in marbella - 5 posts
UK Vehicle and Driving License check on-line, as used by Spanish Police - 9 posts
Mojon Hills, Isla Plana-Looking for tutors for high school English and Math - 0 posts
Spanish legal fees - taken all of our Interest on deposit - 42 posts
flight insurance - 25 posts
Argentinian Butcher - 1 posts
Cleaning - 7 posts
I need good quality legal advice - 4 posts
Route Stop-over - 0 posts
CREMATION COSTS - 15 posts
Mobile roadside speed detection. - 7 posts
WANTED TO RENT UNFURNISHED VILLA/CORTIJO - 0 posts
Pool builder wanted in Murcia - 2 posts
Free healthcare in Spain? - 7 posts
Pregnant- worried about food hygiene in Seville- advice plz - 9 posts
Leak in apartment - 26 posts
Olvera - 1 posts
Employment Advice - 5 posts
RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport - 30 posts
Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts
Transfers to Spain - 0 posts
Congratulations to Costaluz Lawyers - 12 posts
Spanish Hairdreser - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 55

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x