Employment Advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Mar 2016 2:02 PM by Ross_and_Fiona Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Just recently joined this forum so this is our first post….

My wife and I are hoping to move to Spain over the coming months and looking for some employment advice.

We are focusing our search on the coastal areas of Andalusia, Murcia, Valencia and Cataluna.

I have been working as an electrical designer/draughtsman (8+ years experience) so looking to contact Engineering companies and/or agencies (oil and gas, renewables or utilities) based in these areas.

I am in Spain at the end of April so really keen to set up meetings with relevant companies/agents. Searching online is sending me in circles so really grateful for any advice from the forum.

Thank you,

Ross & Fiona

This message was last edited by Ross_and_Fiona on 28/03/2016.

Like 0      
28 Mar 2016 2:29 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Whilst you may have the skills that firms are looking for, I would point out that the regions you mentioned have extremetly high unemployment rates. Andalusia at over 30%, Murcia and the Valencia Regions almost 30% and Catalonia at 27%. These are overall figures and rise sharply amongst the under 25s.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't but just think about those figures. I am also aware that very few compaines will employ anyone without fluency in Spanish. We have some British people working for solicitors and so on but they do speak Spanish. Most people who come over tend to end up working for themselves because of that but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for you.

Best of luck on whatever you do and it never hurts to come and find out. Just don't bank on finding what you are looking for.

(Hope to be proved totally wrong and you find a good position that suits you).

Like 3      
28 Mar 2016 3:32 PM by Ross_and_Fiona Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for the quick reply Bobaol!

Yes its not easy finding work with such high unemployment rates but we will keep trying. We are flying into Malaga end of April and willing to travel to meet with whoever we can. We have sold our house so we are ready to go whenever.

My wife is able to do her current job over in Spain so its down to me to find work out there. I have seen the Parque Tecnológico de Andalucía which could be promising as there are lots of businesses located there. If anyone knows of similar business parks along the coast that would be great.

Thanks

Like 0      
28 Mar 2016 5:37 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you can speak fluent Spanish and read and wright in Spanish then go for it Boboal has given you some good advise good luck.

Like 2      
28 Mar 2016 6:24 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I always relied on having skills/qualifications that were needed, this worked for me but times have changed since I last seeked emplyment. However I suggest that you get professional CV's prepared in both English and Spanish, if you have not already done so.

Good luck. yes

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 2      
28 Mar 2016 9:46 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

bobaol is giving some good and realistic information. 

These are probably the worst parts of Spain to be looking for work, any kind of work but that's not to say it'll be impossible for you, if not very difficult. What I've noticed recently (I'm in Valencia) is that things are looking slightly better, if only slightly. The problem is that companies seeking workers (including ours) are not giving permanent contracts to any workers which means that although finding work is possible, finding permanent work is another matter. Our company hasn't given a permanent contract to anyone in over six years which means that staff are given temporary contracts for as long as the law allows and then they are let go until the company can legally take them on again. The employment system here is pretty bad and that coupled with the fact that companies take advantage of whatever they can do makes it difficult to land a permanent position.

Having said all that, don't give up on your dream. Go for it, but be prepared for the worst just incase and if you can get your foot in the door of a company, make the best impression you can and you could make you boss think.

This message was last edited by Fartharder on 28/03/2016.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

RECORD GO car hire, Alicante Airport - 30 posts
Where to buy electrical goods ..... - 4 posts
Transfers to Spain - 0 posts
Congratulations to Costaluz Lawyers - 12 posts
Spanish Hairdreser - 0 posts
Fuster & Associates Recommendation - 1 posts
Camposol - 5 posts
New UK Pensions - 18 posts
PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Ryanair ‘Asks Britons For £6,000 To Fly Home From Terror-Hit Brussels’ - 2 posts
£167bn now - 57 posts
Retired couple moving to Spain - 5 posts
Speed cameras in a gated community - 8 posts
VPN - 4 posts
Taking dogs on caravan site - 1 posts
Best way to sell a car in spain - 3 posts
Car for Sale at bargain price!!!! - 1 posts
this may seem a strange business question - 1 posts
who is Traficos governing body - 7 posts
Residential mobile homes/chalets - 3 posts
Administrator or President - 0 posts
Permanent resident of Calpe/Benissa/Moraira/Altea New Vehicle Discounts - 1 posts
Looking for bed shop in Girona Escala - 0 posts
I need a local guide in Madrid - 1 posts
residencia - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x