:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2016 10:43 PM by Legend Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

Don't mince your words

Roberto

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 8:06 AM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Fuerteventura:

better weather

cheaper prices

just as friendly as any other part of spain

year round

4.5 hours to fly there

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 4:47 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Menorca is both small enough to visit every part of it on a regular basis and big enough to give a feeling of space. The countryside is lovely and the roads a joy to drive on, we hired a soft top and never had to use the hood during our two weeker. Neither of us are into cities, however Ciutadella is something else, being 'rurals' we loved the rural attitude of the locals, there was even one farm with Jerseys. yes 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 6:13 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I suspect Hughjardon must have had a tiff with the local estate agents on Camposol and is seeking revenge.  It's got a lot going for it and Hughsie does the place a disservice.  It's big, if you were being critical you might make reference to the song that includes the lyrics of houses all being made of ticky tacky etc and all looking just the same etc.  But they are remarkably well priced and the development includes a larger number different designs and lots of superb bespoke villas, equally well priced.

I didn't understand Floella's comment about the inhabitants being from "a different part of the UK".  There's a fair number of Londoners, northeners and Scots but they're all absolutely fine and it is indeed a happy place with a good community spirit.  Most parts are very extremely and only a handful of properties have any structural problems - but I guess there's enough for the media to make a fuss and distort the truth.

If you are are a Hyacinth Bucket you might not like it - there are a few Onslows.  But IMHO regular folk will find it ticks lots of boxes and would be fools to be put off by Hughsie or the media distortion.

This message was last edited by acer on 02/03/2016.

Like 1      
02 Mar 2016 8:55 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

In truth Acer the day I visited, I was wearing my Hyacinth Bucket hat..lol...and I  still am because Camposol just doesn't tick my box.   But then where I live probably would appeal to Camposolians.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 9:09 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

It seems to be a bit of a tit for tat with the same people for and against. We have friends in Camposol and we stay with them when we are over and they come to us where we are. Always an enjoyable stay and if they allowed the little train would be perfect wink

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 10:38 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Where to buy you should have some idea of what you want out of a area  (give us a clue)  as you can see by the replies you are getting ever one will tell you that their little part of Spain is better than every one else's personally I have taken a safe bet and bought a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom villa with swimming pool on Camposol as a holiday home I don't speak a word of Spanish language it is just a holiday home I go to every 6 weeks throughout the year to get some sun l am a British through and through I don't want to ware a somebrero and change my name to Migel or become a resident as far as I am concerned The UK has far more to offer than Spain just ask the immigrants in the jungle why they want to come to the UK and not Spain .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 03/03/2016.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 03/03/2016.

Like 1      
03 Mar 2016 9:11 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

I don't think anyone is saying their part of Spain is better than everyone elses at all. Suggeting "Go have a look at" an area is saying just that really so people can make their own decisions. 

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 7:59 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Of course - we all have both differing opinions, needs and objectives.  One man's mean is another man's poison and all that.  I just wish people would say what they think is good rather than knock other folk's choices.

Some of the most fabulous cities in Spain like Granada, Madrid, Valencia & Seville hardly get a look in.  I cannot recall Seville being mentioned at all recently.  For us it was one of the most memorable.  To some extent was we hit lucky with our choice of hotel, the Amadeus Musica.  It's a "boutique" hotel, but unlike some this place revolved around their guests not vice versa, as exemplified by a large roof terrace with a cocktail bar and a jaccuzzi from which to view the sights of Seville in the evening.  Really superb on a warm summers evening and not at all expensive.

Personally I'm not into looking at too many ancient buildings, where Seville has it's fair share, but it's as lively as anywhere in the evening and the culture is the real Spain, of course including authentic Flamenco.  I don't think I would wish to live there permanently as it's a bit cut off, but the AVE makes it easier and that's an experience too - remarkably good and cheap, makes our rail system look decidedly third rate. 

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 10:27 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Curious post. Somehow I don't think the OP would consider a room in a boutique hotel, with roof terrace, jacuzzi and cocktail bar as a possible place to buy. (Check the thread title). 

Yes, there are some fabulous cities around Spain, and they are sadly overlooked by the type of Brits who would have trouble relocating to a different latitude in the UK from where they were brought up, never mind to the "real" Spain (Gad, how I detest that phrase!). Yes, they all have significant expat populations, I can personally recommend Palma de Mallorca's old town as a wonderful place to live, but since the OP mentioned a golf resort on the edge of the desert as a possible contender, it hardly fits the bill here, no matter what I think of it.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 10:52 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Cities are great places to visit for a day but who on earth would want to retire or buy a holiday home in one .

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 12:05 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Yes it might be considered "curious" Roberto, but I was bored with thread - there is more to Spain than Camposol.

Windtaker - possibly you've never been to Valencia.  An absolutely fabulous place and right on the coast - far less touristy than most large Spanish cities, fascinating history and architecture, great shopping and eating, state of the art and largest scientific and natural history museums in Spain, lovely large beaches and parks, plus a frequent home of major sporting events.

It would make a superb place to retire to - what more could a guy asked for?

Like 2      
04 Mar 2016 12:19 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Acer I come from a large city in the UK I have had a place in Spain for almost 10 years that I use as a base whilst I do my traveling around Spain I have been to all the major cities throughout Spain we usually stay one or two nights then go back to our base on Camposol  I don't have any favorite city's I much prefer the coastal regions and the small villages to the city's I also like cruise ships I take atleast two cruises per year I have just come bay from a Caribbean cruise last week stopped of at eleven islands fantastic I can highly recommend cruise ships.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 04/03/2016.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 04/03/2016.

Like 1      
04 Mar 2016 3:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Perhaps Acer you should start another thread entitled "Great places to visit in Spain" as I'm sure Windtalker, if he/she really wants to tell us about cruises will started another thread about them.

The OP asked "where to buy?" and said "We would like somewhere which has a large expat community with a good social life, and to build up a good circle of friends."

We all know there's more to Spain than Camposol, and as I said previously, the big cities also have expat populations, but anyone who is even considering a golf resort / purpose built urbanisation, is probably not going to be keen on a big "real" Spanish city as a place to buy property. No harm in mentioning it, but most of the expats (not to mention the Spaniards) living in the big cities are working rather than retired / holiday makers, meaning that the whole social scene is a different kettle of fish. I just don't think it's what the OP is looking for. Even in the UK, how often do you hear of people retiring to the city? I could be wrong of course....

wink 

Mark Twain

Like 1      
04 Mar 2016 5:03 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I beg to differ, ciities are wildly different and I wouldn't try and bundle them all together and generalise. 

We all have different priorities, which inevitably change as we get older - I have lived in Valencia and moving back there to retire is a strong possibility.  Currently I have to drive everywhere and I quite fancy being able to walk across the road to a restuarant - means I can have a glass or two of wine too!

So I don't feel the need to start a new thread to say that.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 6:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Fair enough, but that's not what you were saying at all. You were talking about visiting a city (Sevilla, in your post) and enjoying (observing) the local culture as a tourist, which is completely different from living there and trying to integrate, which is extremely difficult in Spain - especially if you don't speak Spanish - or Valenciano, or Catalan, or Mallorquín, or Basque...). My point remains, that the OP clearly has a different idea of his/her ideal Spain.

And you don't have to live in a big city to avoid having to drive everywhere. It just helps if you don't choose a sprawling purpose built urb or golf resort with no infrastructure! I live in a town of nearly 100,000, but hardly ever use a car.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Mar 2016 8:13 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Roberto, it was just a Groundhog Day thing, the repetition and the limited scope of the discussion. 

There should be an agreed rule whereby everyone who posts is obliged to recommend somewhere other than tthe place they live, or the thread becomes a bit predictable.

If I were to follow your suggestion and start a thread "Great Places to Visit in Spain" I reckon we would still end up talking about Camposol.  It would be good to hear about other places and there's nowt wrong in including Spanish cities - the ones I've seen appear to be a lot more fun places and less polluted that their UK counterparts.

This message was last edited by acer on 05/03/2016.

Like 0      
17 May 2016 11:41 AM by JuliaStein Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

JuliaStein´s avatar

Have you thought about Tenerife? As far I know it is amazing climate there and it is very popular with foreign citizens so there is no reason to worry about facilities or lack of community. The northern half of the island is greener, cooler and gets more rain, while the southern coast is sunny, dry, hot and scattered. Check this article about popular places in southern Tenerife may be it will help you to discover new options https://tranio.com/traniopedia/tips/southern_tenerife_where_to_buy_a_second_home_or_spend_a_holiday/

Like 0      
17 May 2016 12:17 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Yes, there's something for everyone on Tenerife which for me is the most varied and interesting of all the Canaries.  Probably the playa del duque area of Costa Adeje is my favourite, but it's very touristy and probably a bit boring and expensive after a whiile, so not sure I would want to live there.

Further south there's lots of "rave" type places and as you say more lush and quieter resorts in the northern portion.

But it's great you can drive from north to south in a few hours and the scenery is so different, particularly if you drive up mount Teide.  I've only done so once, but driving up through the clouds to the desert above was an experience.  You really need your sun cream.

Like 0      
18 May 2016 11:53 PM by celinemcfly Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

You might want to consider La Manga golf resort, it's a very secure community with a lot of expats and very nice villas and apartments.

Resort worldwide properties has some really nice golf resorts that you could check out and they would probably be able to tell you what is best for you: 

http://www.resortworldwideproperties.com/destination/property-in-spain/

This message was last edited by celinemcfly on 19/05/2016.

This message was last edited by celinemcfly on 19/05/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate agents, Good or Bad? - 18 posts
Purchasing bank repossessed penthouse - 10 posts
Almoradi - 3 posts
Buying or selling a a car - 2 posts
The varying costs of living in Spanish cities - 0 posts
Moving to Alicante - 1 posts
Missed calls in the UK from a Spanish number - 5 posts
Where do agents get there price from. - 12 posts
driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK - 47 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts
Trading Cars, License needed but how? - 7 posts
Living / moving in Spain - 13 posts
Utilities - 3 posts
Car Insurance Question - 2 posts
UCI Mortgage Debt Dilemma - 3 posts
Water supply to rural house - 8 posts
Longterm parking - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x