Water supply to rural house

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Feb 2016 10:57 AM by Jimmc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi everyone- new to your site.

We have a casa in the country in  Canada in the Valencia region which does not have mains water and which is now due to be for completion with the local town hall.

I have had irrigation water supplied to my casa for some time. I was originally told by our architect that an osmosis system would be suitable for drinking water which i understand it is not.

i was later told that I required potable water for drinking which would likely be bottled or tank delivered if required.

I am now told that I need potable water for all water systems in the house including washing, toilet etc and I am having real difficulty finding out why. The irrigation water is filtered and suitable for washing and has been used as such for some time. I can't find anyone else who has to do this, but my plumber is intimating that it is the architect and his plans rather than the local ayuntamiento.

Any ideas on the reasoning and cost of a full blown water system for the house? All internal pipe work fitted.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2016 2:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I guess you mean Cañada ?

Useful tip:   To type an ñ  if you do not have it on your keyboard, hold down the  'alt' key and type 164  you will get an  ñ.  

(ascii codes produce all manner of symbols. I use 156 as  do not have a £ on my Spanish keyboard)

Reverse osmosis produces  potable water  which is devoid of minerals.  From internet research, I see is OK to drink.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2016 8:48 PM by Jimmc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Many thanks. Using my iPad at mo so difficult but yes I did mean that.

i am told that reverse osmosis is fine except for bacteriological problems. Even so my issue is I need potable water for the loo, shower, washing machine etc. 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2016 9:20 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Although irrigation water has millions and millions of bugs and is a cause of Legionnaires it is only really dangerous through inhalation. So your only danger is via your shower heads so suggest before sticking your upturned face underneath make sure you run through with hot water first.  Also ensure shower heads are frequently and  rigorously cleansed. For all other washing and bathroom requirements this water is perfectly fine to use.

For cooking, campo folk we know either collect water from the free facilities in the local towns or have it tankered in. For drinking, without boiling,  then it's bottled only.

The only people who have problems with irrigation water are the elderly, very young or those with other health issues and even then it is only through inhaling water droplets.

10 years ago it cost us over € 2000 to connect to the mains and the pipe work was only 18 metres from our house so unless you have a very close supply the cost is probably prohibitive.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2016 4:17 AM by Jimmc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Many thanks. I have no worries re the irrigation water and use for showering etc. But I am being told that I need potable water for showering, toilet use etc. This seems unusual and I wondered if anyone else had been required to do this or am I the only one. It seems a waste and expense to use delivered water to flush the toilet for example.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2016 8:18 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

So, who is actually telling you you need " potable " water ? Your plumber ! 

Like 0      
14 Feb 2016 7:53 PM by Jimmc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

My architect and apparently the town hall. The plumber thinks they are mad!

Like 0      
15 Feb 2016 8:33 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tip:   To type an Ñ on an Ipad, just hold down the N and you will see the option.

(NB an Ñ is not an N with an accent but a separate letter in Spanish)

Like 0      
15 Feb 2016 9:40 AM by Jimmc Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Many thanks. I will try that as it caused one respondent to have a hissy fit because I didn't, and that I used the word casa when u am English. Good iPad tip - I am getting old!

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Longterm parking - 2 posts
Hello all - 7 posts
self-drive france to spain - 0 posts
Hi everyone, could do with some advice re:property rental - 4 posts
What does this mean? - 0 posts
Villa to rent on Camposol - 3 posts
Self drive - weight limits and police fining brits - 13 posts
Traffic Law in Spain - 21 posts
Letting in Andalucia, experience from elsewhere - 29 posts
Directive 2015/413/EU - 0 posts
UK car return to UK..tax MOT expired..what to do - 27 posts
la caixa bank charges - 6 posts
filling a swimming pool - 6 posts
Inspector home - 3 posts
Monte zenia - 3 posts
Quality of Photographs Advertising Properties for Sale in Spain. - 5 posts
claims on travel insurance - 9 posts
BREXIT - 7450 posts
2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts
new to forum - 11 posts
Form 210 non residential tax form - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x