driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2016 4:59 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

DVLA say you cant have a foreign registered car registered to your home address in the UK.

I took in a Fiat with Belgium plates on it that had been in the UK for over 18 months, it was registered in his name, and to his new home address in Essex UK, he was Indian, insured it via Belgium, and I presume some sort of road tax in Belgium, maybe not, never got stopped once by the UK cops,  hit a UK driver / car and wrote it of, got sorted out and paid out from the insurance company, never a question asked.

DVLA say it cant  be done.

Well now I see clearly that this didn't happen to me, and I was sure it did.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 5:27 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx I am NOT tryting to prove you wrong just trying to get an answer for the OP

From the information I have been provided you are wronng and we simply have to agree to disagree

There is NOTHING on the DVLA website that clearly states a UK resident with a UK DL cannot drive  foreign registered car on UK roads - FACT

The reason I asked my Spanish insurance broker was to confrim the cover would be OK in the circumstances stated by OP

The link you posted is part of the problem you and many people seem to have and is in regard to intended permanent move to UK and importing of a car NOT a holiday / short  / temp  visit in a foreign car etc.

I am very content with the answers I have recieved for the questions I asked in relation to the exact circumstances asked by the OP

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Finallly

To drive a motor vehicle legally on a road you must

ensure you have a valid licence with valid categories for the vehicle you are driving, THE OP DOES HAVE ONE

have insurance that covers you for the vehicle you are driving, THE OP COMPLIES (insurnce cover will confirm)

have an MOT (on vehicles over 3 years old), THE OP DOES HAVE ONE (a Spanish ITV will meet this requirment)

make sure the vehicle is taxed, THE OP DOES HAVE TAX (spanish road tax)

make sure the vehicle is registered, THE OP COMPLIES as it  is regtoired in his name in SPAIN and is on a visit to UK with no intention of moving the car premanately to his or nay other UK address

ensure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition. THE OP COMPLIES (in accordance with the rules of the coutnry of registartion of the car)

I will say no more on this subject (*othet than get back to what the traffcio say to me when I ask them later this week on Spanish ruels) as I said above I am content with the resposne I have had and the OP can make the same calls and I am100% certain he will be OK

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 23/02/2016.
This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/23/2016 6:36:00 PM.

Like 1      
23 Feb 2016 5:35 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Still going round and round,

I have just called the DVLA again and they advised that except for 2 exceptions a UK Resident with a UK Licence cannot legally drive a foreign registered vehicle on UK roads.There are 2 exceptions to this:

1/  An employee or self employed person whose buisness is in another EU country,

2/ A person working for another EU company.

As Johnzx says it would be best if Badger called the DVLA and found out for his self. If he does then hopefully he will confirm or deny the info we have given.

The above info was given re the info that Badger gave.

This message was last edited by Jack5340 on 23/02/2016.

Like 1      
23 Feb 2016 5:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd in your quote you failed to print the most relevant part.  That was:- 

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q658.htm

- UK residents are not allowed to drive foreign registered vehicles on UK roads.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/02/2016.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 5:54 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I bet the DVLA are getting fed up with all the phone calls!! - Truely amazing.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 6:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Calm down everyone.

I'll ask Tony tonight.

He'll have the definitive answer, I'm sure laugh

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 2      
23 Feb 2016 8:16 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I wonder where you stand if you are a UK resident whose car breaks down in France and you rent a car to get your family back to UK. You'd be a UK resident driving a foreign registered car.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 8:16 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I wonder where you stand if you are a UK resident whose car breaks down in France and you rent a car to get your family back to UK. You'd be a UK resident driving a foreign registered car.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts
Trading Cars, License needed but how? - 7 posts
Living / moving in Spain - 13 posts
Utilities - 3 posts
Car Insurance Question - 2 posts
UCI Mortgage Debt Dilemma - 3 posts
Water supply to rural house - 8 posts
Longterm parking - 2 posts
Hello all - 7 posts
self-drive france to spain - 0 posts
Hi everyone, could do with some advice re:property rental - 4 posts
What does this mean? - 0 posts
Villa to rent on Camposol - 3 posts
Self drive - weight limits and police fining brits - 13 posts
Traffic Law in Spain - 21 posts
Letting in Andalucia, experience from elsewhere - 29 posts
Directive 2015/413/EU - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 48

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x