driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2016 3:55 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have always understood that the Law is that as a U.K. resident you are not allowed to OWN a foreign registered car that you use on U.K. roads. It is also the same in Spain that as a resident you are not allowed to own a foreign plated car. I have not seen that it is ILLEGAL to DRIVE a foreign plated car if you are NOT the owner, so long as you are not driving it as your main vehicle.

Has this put the cat amonst the pigeons?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 4:21 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Has this put the cat amonst the pigeons?........Dont know about that but I expect your in line for the pen to paper in the shape of a private PM. 

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 4:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

.....You're not supposed to...But it happens.

Well I cannot argue with that. And lots of other crimes get committed too but for me that is not a reason to become a criminal too.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2016 4:53 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

A couple of years ago we had a smash in our Spanish reg car in the UK it was right off, we are UK residents, the Spanish insurance company paid me out in weeks, I was never asked if I was resident of any country, I am sure if they could of have got out of paying me  they could have played this non resident card, anyway lucky for me it never happened.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2016 5:49 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

that is not a reason to become a criminal too.

Does it make someone a criminal if they deceive people?  and if this defines a criminal then it would be a hard task to find an honest person. 

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 6:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Does it make someone a criminal if they deceive people?
If they are committing a criminal offence by doing so (criminal deception) I guess even you would see that,  yes it does-

and if this defines a criminal then it would be a hard task to find an honest person.
From what people have said here I think you are in a minority-

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 6:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Does it make someone a criminal if they deceive people?
If they are committing a criminal offence by doing so (criminal deception) I guess even you would see that,  yes it does-

and if this defines a criminal then it would be a hard task to find an honest person.
From what people have said here I think you are in a minority-

What people have said on here is that yes its illegal to drive in the UK with a Spanish reg car, they haven't said they have done it or not, just repeated what they either have looked up, known about, or been told.

And no I am not in the minority, everyone commits criminal acts daily, that does not make them in any sense of the word a criminal.

As for deceiving people which is criminal deception, does telling folk your someone else when you not, is that not deceiving people? I struggle with that one a little.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 6:34 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I have just spoken to the DVLA and they have clarified the position.

There is no issue with any UK resident with a UK DL bringing a Spanish registered car into the UK on a temporary basis as long as it will not be in the UK for more than 6 months.

They advised that the driver has the following with him at all times

1. A transportation ticket (ferry, channel tunnel etc.) showing clearly when the vehicle arrived in the UK and he also recommended the ticket / booking showing the planned date of return
  2. Proof of registration / ownership of the car at the Spanish address
  3. Insurance policy showing cover for driving outside of Spain (similar to what UK car owner would have when driving overseas)

He also added

You cannot register a foreign registered car at a UK address

I also asked could any other driver in the UK with a UK licence drive this car that was in the UK on a temp basis and he said no problem as long as the car is roadworthy and has the appropriate insurance etc.

If still worried suggest you call DVLA, he did say you could send an enquiry by email

So I was actually incorrect in my posting.

Like 1      
22 Feb 2016 6:49 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

So I was actually incorrect in my posting.

Me too !

Well done for clarifying this Tadd, although the information does seem to be at odds with what the EU website says.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2016 7:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

This proves that it is always better to go to the " horses mouth " when you want accurate information, especially when it concerns regulations, income tax etc

forums are helpful in some ways but some info is out of date and downright wrong!

Like 1      
23 Feb 2016 12:57 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Round and round we go.

I have just rechecked with DVLA and after the lady checked with her manager she said that "A UK resident with a UK license cannot legally drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK".

She stated that whether it was their own vehicle or not made no difference.

As for the tempory imports all 3 items must apply and clearly the first item doesn't apply.

7. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle with non-UK number plates without needing to tax or register it in the UK if all of the following apply:

• you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here
  • you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (one single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)
  • the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

You must tax and register your vehicle in the UK if you become a resident or your stay is longer than 6 months.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 2:06 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

DVLA say you cant have a foreign registered car registered to your home address in the UK.

I took in a Fiat with Belgium plates on it that had been in the UK for over 18 months, it was registered in his name, and to his new home address in Essex UK, he was Indian, insured it via Belgium, and I presume some sort of road tax in Belgium, maybe not, never got stopped once by the UK cops,  hit a UK driver / car and wrote it of, got sorted out and paid out from the insurance company, never a question asked.

DVLA say it cant  be done.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 2:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Jack,   I did not see your post but anyway.

I was concerned that the advice which Tadd was given differed from that on the DVLA web page,  so I too called DVLA (0300 790 6802).

They said the web page info is correct and that a person in Badger’s situation, i.e. UK resident  cannot drive a non UK registered vehicle in UK under any circumstances.  If he were a Spanish resident then he could drive his car in UK for up to 6 months. That is exactly as the info, in black and white,  on the web page says..

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 2:22 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Well johnzx seesm to have gotten a different answer to me - I iwll send an email and see hwt happens

i.e. UK resident  cannot drive a non UK registered vehicle in UK under any circumstances. 

where on the wbsite does it actually state this?

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 23/02/2016.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 2:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Tadd but I believe, and so does Jack, that it is clear from the web page when one can drive.. 

That was confirmed  in the call I made.

I showed the Tel. No. so others could check if they doubted.

It would appear it is the same or very similar regulation in Spain, where one cannot drive a non Spanish Reg vehicle if one is resident it Spain. Except that is in unusual situations, including an emergency situation or a mechanic testing a vehicle.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/02/2016.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 3:05 PM by badger123 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Bit of a can of worms!

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 3:40 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

I cannt find anything on the DVLA website that states this which is why I called the same number as you and spoke to licencing and vehicles dept. (2 different options on the call)

I have also just been in touch with my insurance broker in Spain and he is not aware of any restrictions in Spain or Uk and as long as you can prove the car is road legal and have a valid EU licence and insurance etc no problems.

I think it is a myth and many people are getting confused with the temp imports and full imports etc.

Putting a statement such as you did without any factual detailed information from the DVLA or other legal entitiy is confusing to say the least and based on the info I have from 2 sources false

sending an email to DVLA is not easy so later today I am going to call a police station in the UK and get their view

Like 1      
23 Feb 2016 4:08 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

OK I have just spoken to Hampshire police constabulary and their traffic dept. on Int + 44(0)1962 841534. No reason to choose Hampshire just first one I came up with

The response they gave me was more or less exactly the same as the DVLA i.e. carry relevant documents and evidence of date of entry to UK etc. and there would be NO issues from a police perspective.

In fact he said he used to do a similar thing from Germany

So in summary

The DVLA have no problems

My Spanish insurance broker said no problems

Hampshire police have said no problems

Result – no problems with a UK resident with a UK DL driving a foreign registered car unless it is in or intends to be in UK for more than 6 months, then the car would be in the UK illegally.

If Badger123 is still concerned then I suggest he else calls DVLA and the UK police in his home area.

Later this week I will call in at the traffico in San Miguel or Torrevieja and ask the same questions for the rules in Spain

Like 2      
23 Feb 2016 4:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Well done Tadd any excuse to try and prove I am wrong. 

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

And what’s the point when the web page is clear ( that is the factual detailed information from the DVLA) and  both Jack and I have spoken to the Government Department (DVLA)  which deals with such things and we have both been told the same.  That is, confirmation that the web page is correct.

I suspect they may have misunderstood when you asked. 

By the way,  a temporary import is a visitor taking their vehicle to UK for a visit.

I cannot see the point  of speaking to an insurance broker in Spain about the law in UK. Why would they know about the law on a UK resident driving a Spanish car there, other than that they may be covered in insurance.  But even then, it would probably be subject to that person being legally entitled to drive in UK in the first place. And as we know from DVLA they would not be.

I also tried the email route but got a standard reply to something else.

PS  I too had difficulty getting the right dept in DVLA and was eventfully transferred.   However, this they said this is the correct number to call to ask such questions.  0044 300 790 6802.  Maybe somebody else, Badger maybe, would like to call too.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/23/2016 6:37:00 PM.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2016 4:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd I do not know how you ask questions but I too have called the number you called. They said take a look at https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q658.htm 

That confirms DVLA.

QUOTE:_

To drive a motor vehicle legally on a road you must

ensure you have a valid licence with valid categories for the vehicle you are driving,

have insurance that covers you for the vehicle you are driving,

have an MOT (on vehicles over 3 years old),

make sure the vehicle is taxed,

make sure the vehicle is registered,

ensure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition.

If you come from abroad to take up residency in the UK, you must register and tax your vehicle with the DVLA immediately - UK residents are not allowed to drive foreign registered vehicles on UK roads. With regard to insurance, you must have UK insurance for a UK registered vehicle. Therefore, if you insurer a UK registered vehicle in another country, you have no insurance to drive on UK roads and are committing an offence.

If you do not have a British licence see Q416 or Q417I highlighted the red to make iot claer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I highlighted  the red to make it clear.

I also highlighted the blue, which I never knew and is probably very important to some readers

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts
Trading Cars, License needed but how? - 7 posts
Living / moving in Spain - 13 posts
Utilities - 3 posts
Car Insurance Question - 2 posts
UCI Mortgage Debt Dilemma - 3 posts
Water supply to rural house - 8 posts
Longterm parking - 2 posts
Hello all - 7 posts
self-drive france to spain - 0 posts
Hi everyone, could do with some advice re:property rental - 4 posts
What does this mean? - 0 posts
Villa to rent on Camposol - 3 posts
Self drive - weight limits and police fining brits - 13 posts
Traffic Law in Spain - 21 posts
Letting in Andalucia, experience from elsewhere - 29 posts
Directive 2015/413/EU - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 48

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x