Self drive - weight limits and police fining brits

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Feb 2016 12:23 PM by foresternige Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi there all, does anyone have a more up to date view on self-drive vans to/from spain, and the issue of weight limits and police fines etc?

One removals company have a horror story/scare page and I am wondering how much to worryabout it : I wouldn't want to endanger myself or other road users by being dangerously overweight of course, so perhaps I could go to a weigh bridge before I leave the UK on the way to the ferry?  

3w's   dot     bmceuropean    dot     com     slash     one-way-van-hire-spain-uk     (all the cases quoted are a few years old now)

But given I will in July be in an obvious UK hire van (I wondered about covering up the signs on the panels/rear doors/bonnet somehow), how much should I worry about weights and police?

I won't be moving any white goods which I assume would contribute to the weight issue, and I'm only taking a LWB or SWB transit, not a Luton.  But I will have lots of weight I would think, from books and some timber and garden pot plants, and a sideboard etc.

Thanks for any tips or advice.  or warnings.

Anyone know a public access weigh bridge near Portsmouth?

And FYI/BTW I'll be just driving along the north coast from Santander to La Coruna.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2016 3:03 PM by Yesser Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

Best speak with the company you are hiring from or even have a chat with the traffic police I'm sure they would be more than helpful.

The problem with overloading is if you need to break quickly and hard having full control would certainly be difficult plus even just general driving it will affect your steering.

There are other issues but other than weighing everything you are putting in.

I  Would not risk overloading even just by a small amount.. As you know there's a limit for a reason.

Enjoy Spain.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2016 3:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Dundas Spur public weighbridge. PO3 5NX. All details and times if you Google it. 

Like 0      
11 Feb 2016 4:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You might find this interesting:-

http://www.averyweigh-tronix.com/PageFiles/11664/Vehicle%20Overloading%20Explained.pdf

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 3:53 PM by foresternige Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks guys for your replys and advice / links.  Much appreciated.

I'm going to try to do some calculations to see how much I think our load may be.

Anyone have any insight on the Spain side though?  Any experience with obvious UK hire vans on spanish roads having problems from bandits or police?

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 4:04 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

We used to drive our LHD van down there regularly, and have never had a problem. However.

1) Recommend you get a dash cam. Nobody in an unmarked car can flag you down. If they do point to the camera. Always be aware at service stations.

2) If using a RHD van beware of blindspots at junctions

3) Be aware that vans are subject (officially) to lower speed limits. Even small vans are "presumed" to be capable of carrying larger weights, hence this is why a lot of spanish drive berlingos with folding seats as opposed to a pure van.

4) Make sure you have the attendant safety requirements. Fluorescent waistcoats, warning trangles, beam benders, and first aid kit. Spare bulb kits are no longer required and the breathalyser kit requirement for France is not enforced.

5) Get a good Tom Tom with upto date speed camera warnings.

Hope this helps

Saludos

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 18/02/2016.

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 18/02/2016.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 4:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just a word of warning re the dash cam.

I was present when  a couple were warned by the police that it was illegal to have a dash cam which ‘looked’ towards the public.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 5:20 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

"a couple were warned by the police that it was illegal"

It will be interesting to see how Spain progresses with this. I know it is illegal now to photo police in Spain. In the UK insurers give a discount for having one. Even worse, new cars are being equipped with 360 cameras fitted - I have one. I suppose that means it will need factory disabling. LOL

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 6:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It was something to do with 'data protection' i.e. filming people without their permission. As you say, one could also I suppose film police officers with an automatically operated cam.

In the case I mentioned the owners of a motor home had the cam on to make a record of their trip.  Whilst it was parked someone had broken into the rear part.Although the cam was facing forward the cam of course moved when the person was moving around inside. That way the owners knew the exact time the Motor Homes was entered.

The police told me to tell them not to use the cam any more in the way they had been doing..

Like 0      
18 Feb 2016 6:37 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Take a look at this page for dash cam info: http://n332.es/2015/02/03/can-i-install-a-dashcam-in-my-car/

Mark

Like 1      
18 Feb 2016 7:08 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

Very informative link. I have included it as a clickable link below. Many thanks Marksfish!

http://n332.es/2015/02/03/can-i-install-a-dashcam-in-my-car/

Saludos

Like 1      
18 Feb 2016 10:34 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

A most helpful link, Juan.

BTW, did you also  open the link to a case where it was stated that it IS legal to film a police officer?

Interesting!

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2016 6:23 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Seems like we have some confusion as to what it says in the link and what johnzx heard from the police

I asked a question locally and a problem will only arise if you publish a video but it can be used in evidence so I think the link is right and the police were wrong to say they should not use it unless it was obstructing the drivers view

Like 1      
19 Feb 2016 7:52 PM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

With regards to OP you should check at a weight station if you suspect you are over weight before you go, the laws regarding limits are EU law's so you stand the risk of prosecution anywhere you go if you are driving an overweight vehicle.

What ever the limit may be you should remember this is the all up weight including driver and passengers, also depending on the issue date of your licence you may be limited to 3500kg all up so worth checking 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Traffic Law in Spain - 21 posts
Letting in Andalucia, experience from elsewhere - 29 posts
Directive 2015/413/EU - 0 posts
UK car return to UK..tax MOT expired..what to do - 27 posts
la caixa bank charges - 6 posts
filling a swimming pool - 6 posts
Inspector home - 3 posts
Monte zenia - 3 posts
Quality of Photographs Advertising Properties for Sale in Spain. - 5 posts
claims on travel insurance - 9 posts
BREXIT - 7450 posts
2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts
new to forum - 11 posts
Form 210 non residential tax form - 1 posts
Part time self employment - 1 posts
Supreme Court- Law 57/68- Creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Property to auction - 7 posts
Buying a car to keep in Spain... - 4 posts
HELP REQ'D WITH A SURVEY FOR A HND - 3 posts
Transfering car from UK to Spain How to do it - 14 posts
Moving to spain - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x