Great British Idioms - Do the Spanish have them - Do they understand or just think we are mad

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Nov 2015 11:53 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar
I've often wondered if the Spanish have thier own Idioms and sayings, you certainly don't get taught them at Spanish lessons. Here is a selection of our best

A hot potato

A penny for your thoughts

An arm and a leg

At the drop of a hat

Back to the drawing board

Ball is in your court

Barking up the wrong tree

Beat around the bush

Best of both worlds

Best thing since sliced bread

Bite off more than you can chew

Blessing in disguise

Burn the midnight oil

Can't judge a book by its cover

Caught between two stools

Costs an arm and a leg

Cross that bridge when you come to it

Cry over spilt milk

Curiosity killed the cat

Cut the mustard 

Don't count your chickens before the eggs have hatched

Don't give up the day job

Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Egg on face

Every cloud has a silver lining

Feel a bit under the weather

Hear it on the grapevine

Hit the nail on the head

Hit the sack 

In the heat of the moment

It takes two to tango

Jump on the bandwagon

Keep something at bay

Kill two birds with one stone

Last straw

Let sleeping dogs lie

Let the cat out of the bag

Method to my madness

Miss the boat

Not a spark of decency

Not playing with a full deck

Off one's rocker

On the ball

Once in a blue moon

Picture paints a thousand words

Piece of cake

Put wool over other people's eyes

See eye to eye

Sit on the fence

Speak of the devil!

Steal someone's thunder

Take with a grain of salt

Taste of your own medicine

To hear something straight from the horse's mouth

Wouldn't be caught dead

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 2:07 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

teamgb

yes the spanish have a lot of idioms and they are just as confusing to Brits as Brit ones are to the Spanish

Here is a good link

http://www.fluentu.com/spanish/blog/spanish-idioms/

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 5:02 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Spain has so many I wouldn't know where to start but I found this with 10,000 translated to English!

http://www.geneticcounselingtoolkit.com/pdf_files/Spanish_idioms_with_their_English_equiva.pdf

But there is one particular Spanish Idiom I like and tends to be very true :

Fíate de la agua mansa, que yo me fiaré de la corriente 

it is also referred to in a diffferent manner :

Fíate tú de las aguas mansas, que de las bravas me cuido yo.

But I prefer the first, and is how I have always heard it said. It means:

Calm water often hides troubles and often results in unexpected endings,  but rough water is what it is, you know what you are getting yourself into.

When applied to peoples' characters, it means that those with a quiet and non-descriptive character are the ones you need to worry about, more than those with a strong outgoing character who tend to show what they feel.

This message was last edited by eos_ian on 13/11/2015.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
13 Nov 2015 5:03 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

An arm and a leg in Spain is 'un huevo' as in 'Me costó un huevo'. I'm just not sure if that is referring to an actual egg or one of your testicles (which are referred to in Spain as eggs not balls).

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 5:24 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Thanks Tadd and Ian, I will have a look at them over the weekend.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 6:03 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Fartharder,

"me costó un huevo" is the slang version... and does refer to testicles. It would be appropirate only in certain situations...

the normal version  for 'an arm and a leg' would be :

me costó un ojo de la cara 

"It cost me an eye from my face!" .... so in principle not very different

This message was last edited by eos_ian on 13/11/2015.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
13 Nov 2015 6:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Of course, every language has it's own idioms. What I find interesting is the origins of them. Often they don't make any sense to a non-native speaker, unless they can be explained somehow. I recently was having a conversation (in Spanish) and translated literally "the straw that broke the camel's back", and got a very strange look! Unfortunately, I have no idea where this expression originates, so it was very difficult to explain. Eventually my friend understood, and said "la gota que colmó el vaso", which simply means the drop of water that made the glass overflow, which is fairly self-explanatory, so that's 1-0 to Spain! 

I just had a quick look at one of the links posted here; very interesting! My eye landed on "echar agua al mar" (throwing water in the sea) which is also pretty self-explanatory...but just doesn't have the same satisfaction value as "pi55ing in the wind", does it? So....1-1 laugh

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
13 Nov 2015 7:39 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Once upon a time we actually used the phrase "the last drop makes the cup run over" but I believe that was a very long time ago.

These are great things to learn in Spanish because although we learn the language, we always end up stuck when it comes to using idioms. 

It's funny how Ian states that 'me costó un huevo' is slang and only appropriate in certain situations but this is the only version of this I've ever heard and people appear to use this very often so proper versions and slang versions are equally important to learn. After all, the Spanish use a lot of slang and swear a lot because swearing in Spanish isn't the same as swearing in English. Joder is supposed to be the equivalent of f**k but it's not taken any more seriously here than 'oh gosh' and there's no TV watershed applied to it.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 10:29 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

swearing in Spanish isn't the same as swearing in English. Joder is supposed to be the equivalent of

f**k but it's not taken any more seriously here than 'oh gosh' and there's no TV watershed applied to it.

Not only in Spain now either, walk any high street in the UK, go into any shop, you would be suprised how the children use this word these days.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2015 9:52 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

baz

I agree about what you say in the UK high streets etc. but the women are worse than the children and men it is now commonplace

Like 1      
14 Nov 2015 10:00 AM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

What I meant about swearing and the word joder is that you hear it regularly on daytime TV. It's  not bleeped out or reserved for after 9pm like in the UK. I know it's common in the street all over the world. 

Like 0      
14 Nov 2015 10:01 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Oh dear! where do you two shop, Poundland? you certainly don't hear this type of language in John Lewis smiley

Like 0      
14 Nov 2015 10:06 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

What I meant about swearing and the word joder is that you hear it regularly on daytime TV. It's  not bleeped out or reserved for after 9pm like in the UK. I know it's common in the street all over the world. 

Fartharder

There must be some words or phrases that are totaly no go on Spanish TV ?

Like 1      
14 Nov 2015 11:31 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Team GB how about..."I must pay the tax that's due"...?

Like 1      
14 Nov 2015 12:53 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Shush acer. you cant say such vulgar thinks on a public forum - I suggest you go and wash your mouth out smiley

Like 1      
14 Nov 2015 3:52 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Yes acer, that's unacceptable language AND blasphemy. Other phrases banned from Spanish TV include, 'I think that Spain goal may have been offside', 'Today there will be no ad breaks'  and Tele5 have banned all intelligent conversation on their shows.

Like 1      
14 Nov 2015 4:53 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Oh dear! where do you two shop, Poundland? you certainly don't hear this type of language in John Lewis smiley

No thats because the John Lewis I went in was full to the brim with Muslims, if they did say these words you wouldn't understand them anyway, or see the lip movement.

The poundland I live in is full of Poles....Come to think of it I dont understand them either.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

is it worth me buying a car or just carrying on renting one - 16 posts
Car insurance - 15 posts
mar de plata mazarron - 11 posts
Fire Stick - in Spain - 5 posts
Problems with form 210 (wealth tax) for tax due 2015 - 25 posts
How to do business with Spanish business owners/ companies? - 8 posts
50 Year Old House Inspections - 2 posts
Non-EU family members do not need visa to enter UK, says European court - 25 posts
REFERENDUM ON UK MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU - 8 posts
Speed camera at Lorca - 0 posts
Supplying info about crimes, tax evasion etc. - 9 posts
Importing LHD car - 14 posts
No gas mains - 2 posts
Benalmadena - 11 posts
Possible purchase at Hacienda del Alamo (HDA) - Dilemna - 6 posts
banking problems - 1 posts
Changes to State pension age for women - 24 posts
Hi - Newbie from Wales. - 5 posts
Christmas Day Lunch near Mijas Golf/MIjas Costa - 3 posts
Compatability of bereavement pensions from Uk and Spain - 0 posts
December driving from Santander to Murcia - 2 posts
Solicitors in Murcia/alicante - 14 posts
Call for greater regulation and reform - 0 posts
Do you have a car for sale? - 0 posts
Changing to interest only mortgage - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x