PO Boxs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by deepovey Star rating in Coín. 16 posts Send private message

Hello everyone

I was wondering if any of you out there new if there was any licencing laws or permission required to set up PO Box from an office/shop. I am on the

Costa del sol and thinking of setting PO Box's up as there is a big shortage of them but I was not sure is I needed permission from the post office or the

town hall.  Does anyone know?

Thanks

Dee

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 7:30 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Dee!  Just back in Dubai from Duquesa and checked out forums and noticed your post.  What a great idea.

Can't help you really re legal requirements - don't know the laws and regulations regarding this - but would have thought that as long as you have a shop/office that would facilitate a couple of hundred PO Boxes any local postal authority/council/municipality would be relieved, as it means less deliveries.  We would subscribe - at this time, rather than search through a postal systam (which entails looking through everyone's post within our development basically!!) with our administrators!! 

In Dubai we have our own private mail box (necessity - they only deliver to mail boxes here, no street/road/property addresses basically), as well as having my husband's company address, but will always have things directed to our private PO Box as it's much more convenient for me just to pop down the road and check the mail.  And, comparing here to there,  it's much the same in that regard - five minutes to anywhere!!

Great idea - I would certainly advocate such a scheme .... and if you're looking for investment ........  !!!

Here's to being back on EOS!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 8/25/2007.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 8:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

PO Box corresponds to Apartados de Correos in Spain. I am not aware of private companys for apartados de correos, but... within the enterprise freedom... everything must be possible. What would be the object of these companies? How do they operate in the UK?  How do you hire a PO Box a whom? I would be able to see then if there is a possibility of seting them legally here in Spain and how would the legal coverture would be.

Best weekend!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 8:13 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

To get a PO Box in the UK has to be done through the Post Office (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?catId=400040&mediaId=600006). The other option is to have an accommodation address where you have all mail delivered to a business premises and they sort it and keep it for the customer. Other options allow you to have the mail sent on to your home address from the accommodation address. They are usually used by small businesses run from home that wish to project a more professional image.

Mark

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 8:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

On the Costa Blanca some people have set up "post rooms" where mail is delivered.  My neighbour uses one how it works I don't know as I inherited a correos box with the house.

Why don't you do a search of the Costa Blanca News and see if you can find an advert with a telephone number.  Perhaps they might tell you how to set one up in your area, you'll not be encroaching on their business as you're a fair distance apart.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 8:30 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Ok, in Dubai, there are private companies set up (very few at this time!) that will have a registered company address that will handle mail boxes.  I am aware (having just seen a company in Horsham, West Sussex, England) that these companies exist in the UK also.  I would presume (but I am not sure) that a company sets up a business to handle individual/company mail who subscribe to them, with the cooperation of the state (as is in this case in the UAE) postal authority.  Basically, they, I would think, sign some sort of bond with the postal authority who has authority in the region to deliver the mail appropriately and legally, and they will be able to operate a PO Box facility that individuals or companies can subscribe to, for a nominal fee per annum, and then they sort out that post and put it in the relevant boxes for them to collect, in a specific location.  (In the UAE, mostly it is run by the Post Office, but there are, in fact, some private postal systems working).

Can't comment on the legal requirements anywhere, but well worth checking out from a business perspective!!

Like 0      
25 Aug 2007 9:31 PM by deepovey Star rating in Coín. 16 posts Send private message

Thanks to everyone for their comments they are all really helpful and I will certainly investigate further. I hope to run a Rent a Desk scheme as well and offer Secretarial Serivices so it all ties in nicely if I can get it sorted. 

Thanks keep the advice coming and anything you hear about the legalities of running the PO Boxes I would be very grateful for.

Dee

Like 0      
26 Aug 2007 2:05 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
My last word is that legally, as far as people rent " your address" for their mail to be sent there, ( as they can also rent office, secretary...) there is no legal objection . You will just have to sign with them a services contract ( contrato de servicios) and in terms of taxes, you will just have to become autonomo and pay income tax and VAT.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Aug 2007 7:17 AM by deepovey Star rating in Coín. 16 posts Send private message

Maria

Thank you as always for your help very much appreciated.

Dee

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

finally hello!!!!!!! - 2 posts
Too old to find work? - 0 posts
Hi Low - 1 posts
Poor correspondence addressing - 6 posts
Where are you Juan Pánzon - 0 posts
Feb 2008 Half Term - 6 posts
Need some help logging onto new development forums!! - 4 posts
Ryanair to charge £2 per person per flight for check in - 3 posts
Looking for a gardener + maintainance person in Benalmadena - 0 posts
Too old? - 7 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 3 posts
Which website to sell my property? - 13 posts
Car - 18 posts
grupo location - 2 posts
Opions on Estate Agents - 10 posts
Property Problems? ITV Documentary - 4 posts
MOTORCYCLE TRIPS - 5 posts
Hi all - 1 posts
re- mortgage advice wanted - 3 posts
golf - 5 posts
Hi all - advice appreciated. - 11 posts
Hotel Lloyds Club, seafront, La Mata near Torrevieja, CB - 0 posts
Is there a Urologist or Qualified Midwife amongst our members? - 8 posts
A business for my nephew - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x