Possible scam for property sellers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jul 2015 10:47 AM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi, 

i have a property for sale on this site and was contacted by somebody called Kotto Belle. They said that they wanted to discuss the price of my property but, when I e-mailed back to say that it was not negotiable, they said they were happy with the price and could I send more photos and remind them of the price. This seemed odd to me but I did e-mail photos and confirmed the price.At this point, Kotto replied, asking if I could keep him/her updated by phone and could they have my number. I was a bit suspicious because they seemed overly keen and their phone number was a West African number. I e-mailed to say that I would rather communicate through e-mail and have not heard anything since.

My concern is that this would have been a premium rate call and I am not sure if it was some sort of scam.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2015 11:05 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

It's hard to imagine  (Well not really)  how a scam could take place with a property in Spain and buyers from West Africa...BUT...Because Nigeria is in West Africa you are wise to believe anything, and everything is possible with anyone from this place and surrounding areas.

I had dealings with Africa some years ago and did have previous first hand knowledge of the way they work so never got caught out, but when someone mentions to me anything to do with Africa concerning anything, and if they ask me, I say to be safe...... Don't!

Like 1      
20 Jul 2015 11:42 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Whenever I receive an uninvited phone call from a stranger I assume that it's a scam., if it comes from abroad I know that it's a scam, the problem is that human nature dictates that I want to figure out what the scam is. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 1      
20 Jul 2015 12:10 PM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi,

Thanks for your posts. There may be nothing to it but I know that some of these numbers cost a fortune when you ring them and I just wanted other sellers to be wary because this person seemed so keen to buy and then so keen for me to ring them. If you have been trying to sell for a long time, it could be tempting.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2015 12:28 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Barbara,

If you're keen to sell then discuss this with your lawyer, I further suggest that you deal with the 'buyer' by email, if they are genuine this shouldn't be a problem. 

Like 1      
20 Jul 2015 1:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Wanted to negotiate the price - happy with the asking price - wanting to be "kept updated" (on what?) Plenty of clues there that this was far from a genuine enquiry, and whilst it's natural to be curious about what the possible scam may be, it's best to just delete the correspondence and forget about it, unless you want to get into scam baiting (which can be dangerous unless you really know what you're doing).

Any messages that sign off with a God Bless You or Go With God kind of phrase is also for the trash. No genuine enquiries would use that kind of language, and I often wonder why Nigerians (or whoever they are) haven't realised that yet.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
20 Jul 2015 1:44 PM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Yes, I told the 'buyer' that I would only deal initially by e-mail and that is when the replies stopped!

I would deal through my lawyer if any buyer was keen to buy, having viewed the place however this person seemed keen, even though they never asked to view at all (again suspicious).

Like 0      
20 Jul 2015 3:29 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Any messages that sign off with a God Bless You or Go With God kind of phrase is also for the trash. No genuine enquiries would use that kind of language, and I often wonder why Nigerians (or whoever they are) haven't realised that yet.

Yes, Roberto you are correct, but these people can find mugs everywhere, everyday, don't matter how they sign of or what they say, the mugs rule.

Look at these people who send money of to release funds because they got told they have won the " Canadian" lottery, this is widely advertised as one big scam yet it's still happening.

Barbara. I wouldn't even sell the house to these if they turned up to view, promised you the funds are in the bank, or had a dog collar on, your problems will start once you enter into any sort of correspondence, phone,  e-mail, or whatever.

Make what you want of my posts but be so aware which I am sure you will be.

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 7:16 AM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Yes, baz1946, I just got another e-mail, saying that he was turning up on Friday with the money. I told him that it does not work like that, he would have to deal through lawyers and that there are hundreds of houses up for sale and someone may want to deal in cash but that was not us!

Like 0      
21 Jul 2015 8:27 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Barbara

If he is going to turn up on Friday with the money then suggest to him that you meet at the local police station (who would probably really like to meet him)  or a solictors (of your choice) who he can then hand over the money to for safe keeping whilst the paperwork is sorted out

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 9:20 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Well Barbara,

Although you are not in a win/win position, you are certainly in the driver's seat. As everything needs to be Spanish legal you can't actually do anything wrong, as you have stated, all monies due to you in exchange for your property will have to be passed through both the buyers and your lawyer, they are responsible for conducting Spanish money laundering regulations, not you. 

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 9:59 AM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Great idea about the police station, thanks.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2015 10:37 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Also don't forget that it is illegal in Spain to use a total of more than €2500 (or is it €3000) in CASH in any transaction. Therefore if the buyer is offering a bag full of folding stuff be warned. If your lawyer is 'happy' to accept more than this amount in CASH then maybe change lawyers!!!

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 12:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

A good read for anyone interested in Nigerian scammers: http://tinyurl.com/o73tvpa

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 4:14 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Yes, baz1946, I just got another e-mail, saying that he was turning up on Friday with the money. I told him that it does not work like that, he would have to deal through lawyers and that there are hundreds of houses up for sale and someone may want to deal in cash but that was not us!

So Barbara if this person is going to turn up Friday, have you given over your address? If you have sorry but more fool you, if you haven't given it then how are they to know where your house is? walk around in Spain looking for a house for sale?

You told him that you would only deal via e-mail and he then stopped sending, yet you once again answered his e-mail telling him it don't work like that, perhaps if you're not to sure of this situation and it bothers you so much, don't you think it would be better to not, and never answer any more e-mails from him, surely the more you answer, the more he has / could have you on the hook.......For what ever reasons.

Something stinks here.

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 6:10 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

It's working out what the possible scam is that's puzzling me, similarly when I was selling my late mother's bungalow the accepted buyer was forever promising to complete on every Friday for circa 6 weeks, luckily I got a cash offer of £5K more from a guy who was as good as his word. The estate agent conducted their proof of funds check on the former which passed, so what was he playing at? indecision 

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 7:44 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Wearing my inspector Clouseau hat - my guess is that either he'll either postpone and re-book, to up the emotional anti, or you'll be asked to urgently forward some cash for his airfare, hotel etc etc as he's mistakenly out of funds having transferred all his cash in advance of his purchase...etc etc

Like 1      
21 Jul 2015 8:04 PM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

He knows the village that the house is in but not the address and I have now told him that an officer of the Guardia Civil and his wife have now made a better offer, which I have accepted.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2015 8:50 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

If you had sent photos to him, no doubt your property would have been advertised on a holiday letting site...therein lies the "scam"... If he turns up (which I very much doubt) he might want to take some photos of his own....

Like 0      
21 Jul 2015 9:27 PM by Barbara Murphy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Don't worry, I would not give him a viewing!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi Everyone - 0 posts
First visit to Spain - 6 posts
Cyclists and Cycle Paths - 55 posts
Winter rental in Santa pola (or nearby) - 0 posts
Long term caravan site fees anyone? - 5 posts
Pain in Spain !! - 10 posts
The Sun hit s another low - 2 posts
hoppa shared shuttle from Malaga airport - 0 posts
Guidance for Board of Trustee members in Spain Charities - 2 posts
Iberdrola smart meter - causing huge problem - 14 posts
Car hire firms to provide more transparency to customers. - 3 posts
Legal tip 1311. NEW! HERRADA DEL TOLLO S.L. - BANK ACTION WON IN PROVINCIAL APPEAL COURT AGAINST SGR & BBVA FOR BUYERS AT RESIDENCIAL SANTA ANA DEL MONTE IN JUMILLA - 5 posts
Hello - 2 posts
renting - 5 posts
Mariadecastro - 5 posts
3% Devolution - 9 posts
Does anyone have a car for sale at Camposol - 7 posts
hi all - 1 posts
English plumber moving to spain - 18 posts
Channel 4 looking for new business start ups in Southern Spain - 1 posts
Air Traffic Controllers Strikes July Spain - 19 posts
LUZ CAR RENTAL murcia - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL MURCIA AIRPORT - 18 posts
What is a "refugio agricola"? - 1 posts
Hairdresser - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x