Outdoor web cam or IP Camera

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jun 2015 7:43 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi,

does anyone use an outdoor web cam or IP camera so that can enjoy the view from the terrace when back in th UK?

I want to install one at my Son's apartment so we can do just that via an iPad or smart phone.  The problem is that I have no idea what to get.  Trawling the internet throws up lots of different cameras so I just wondered if anyone else had done this and what kind of camera you use.

thanks

kelju

Like 0      
27 Jun 2015 10:13 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Hi kelju as you say there is a thousand and one different ip cameras out there, Amazon E.Bay Ali Express all sell them anythig from 30 euros upwards, on my second ip camera at moment but to be truthfull i would not spend no more then 50 euros on one, if you live in u.k  best to find a supplier over there or a shop that sells cameras as they can expalin better how to set up, i found  the instructions on cameras brought from internet sites are manily from the far east and translatios are not brilliant, however you may have skills with these sort of things but as i say not much differance on what makes

Like 0      
27 Jun 2015 10:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I use a CCTV system by SWANN, have had it all over my UK property which is down my remote lane for quite a few years now, no problems, daytime colour is very good, pretty sharp, good colour, vision reaches a fair way down the lane which is more then ample to see who's coming down, night time it switches to black and white and has its own light built it which still shows up night time area quite well, I did have to make a long pole up with a soft brush on the end to sweep the spiders of, when they cross or web a camera they come up like those giant one's in the horror films.

My system works over the internet to our iphones, ipads, computers, fairly easy to fit  / set up.

SWANN I have to admit don't seem to be the cheapest around but after looking at the quality of some cheaper one's I am glad I spent a few more quid on this system.

As to working from Spain I suppose it would all depend on the internet you have in Spain, haven't gone into that side of it yet, but one friend keeps an eye on his factory in the UK when he go's abroad, and even when on a cruise, I'll pass on that one as to how on earth that works. 

Like 0      
28 Jun 2015 9:57 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks both for the replies, 

nitram - what make and model of camera are you using at the moment?

baz1946 - I am going to get a Swann system for the UK, I have been into Maplins and they have demonstrated the system to me, it looks really good but would be overkill for what I want in Spain.

kelju

Like 0      
28 Jun 2015 5:57 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

kelju as i say it´s a bog standard camera bit lazy if we don´t want to get up to answer gate can just look on the laptop, i also have a e-mail notification if we are out so when activated can have a quick look . mine is a starcam as i say many makes about did not want to spend hundreds, just a basic model it works for what i wnt it for, and if out of the country can keep a eye on home

Like 0      
28 Jun 2015 6:27 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Just bought a zmodo form Amazon aroun 50 pounds, nice and small

Wireless, easy to setup, comes with software for IPAD and Androis for remore viewing and motion sensor where it automatically takes photo and can also mail you

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 9:44 AM by argarcia Star rating in Torrevieja. 23 posts Send private message

If is  understood people could be interested to purchase such cameras for various reasons, however, and I am sure I will be corrected, the Law in Spain is not the same as UK. IF you operate a camera outside a building or property in Spain that is likely to capture images of the public, you must erect a sign outside the property so that all can see it, informing them that you have a security camera and their image could be captured.

Secondly, if you are not at the property and are alerted or spot suspicious activity, what will you do, call the police in Spain? What sort of response do you think you will get and how quickly if they do respond?

Thirdly, would the video footage of the activity be admissable in a Spanish court of Law?

Regards

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 11:53 AM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

We were looking into the possibility of security cameras for our community after a spate of robberies a couple of years ago.  The research we did at the time on security cameras and data protection laws in Spain said that if you operate cameras which capture images on public land you have to use a registered monitoring company.  No doubt that gives you the security of knowing that an alert will be dealt with quickly but comes at a price. I'm sure many people use such cameras for their own dwellings and they give peace of mind, but I wonder if there might be problems if the cameras were in use and a robbery or other incident occurred, i.e. the homeowner could be found to be in breach of the law.  I guess if you can make sure that the cameras only capture images from within your own property boundaries, this isn't a problem. 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 12:33 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

In my case the camera monitors my garden and pool and yes I have a sign on the wall for CCTV in operation

What it is mre about is the deterent

The amse as I have an alarm that calls me if there is a problem and there is a an arguement that you are supposed to be monitored, in my case we have onsite security that I can caall plus a neighbour

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 12:45 PM by argarcia Star rating in Torrevieja. 23 posts Send private message

hi again,

imho, probably it is better to have an alarm system or security patrols (organised via the community of owners).

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 12:58 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

security is all about the deterent value, even if it a dummy alarm box and camera it is more likely that they will go elsewhere to break in

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 4:05 PM by argarcia Star rating in Torrevieja. 23 posts Send private message

We had 2x dummy cameras, the first was smashed, the second stolen ^^ Now we are having security gates fitted, ugly but a necessary evil I am afraid.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 8:49 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi all,

although security is important that is not my purpose for the camera.  I just want something to give me an overall view from the balcony, something like this

http://www.webcamfuengirola.com

i think the cameras suggested by nitram and inspectahomespain will suit me just fine

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tunisia Murders - 35 posts
Chris Williams Summer Football Camp Marbella - 0 posts
Let the 2015 females cackling competition start - nominations here - 2 posts
car purchase - 7 posts
air con prices - 1 posts
recommended car hire companies Gerona Spain - 0 posts
New to Eye on Spain - 1 posts
Bank Repossessions - 36 posts
Car insurance for than 90 days on a UK Reg Car - 14 posts
Granada City Centre Traffic Fines - 6 posts
Never again will I book through Do You Spain! - 5 posts
Greek Crisis - 0 posts
We're losing our postal service - 3 posts
NO WORK.....IS SOCIAL SECURITY AVAILABLE? - 3 posts
buses from malaga airport to marbella on Saturday - 1 posts
Is Covera ever opening ? - 2 posts
Repairs to Westminster - 17 posts
Visiting Gibraltar? - 2 posts
Electricity Charges - 7 posts
Demolition Order - 4 posts
Beware The Cowboy Builders Are Back - 23 posts
Rent or Buy - 6 posts
moving to spain - 10 posts
Astra 2G latest updates - 1 posts
Music Jams - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x