We're losing our postal service

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jun 2015 11:38 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I have been informed by a letter from Correos that as my urbanisation has an insufficient population density and an insufficient number of postal items being delivered, that as from September postal deliveries are being discontinued.

The letter states that I can get a postal box at the post office (we have one on the urbanisation) and that alternatively, the post office will store letters for a certain number of days and I need to ask for them at the post office.

This raises some questions

a) isn't there a law of some sort in Spain that says every domicile muist have a letter box? Unless I go to the post office regularly to ask (and this is difficult seeing I'm a non resident) how am I to know of any official notices that are being sent to me?

b) can I have a post box at the post office as a non resident?

Like 0      
23 Jun 2015 12:29 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I tried to find out about this some time ago as for some reason our urbanization of 230 apartments/houses does not have post boxes, the residents voted to install them but madam president has failed to do so. We have a villa so installed a post box on the gate but the post office said 'no' even though a postman comes every day on a scooter and deliveres to madam president, nor do they hold our post for any length of time I have heard they just destroy it. From what I could find out via the internet I don't think the correos are under any obligation to ensure deliveries to every address, they can pick and choose so basically at their mercy. Re PO boxes, I don't see non rresident status being a problem but you may find like we did the boxes are all taken and there are non available to rent!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
23 Jun 2015 1:46 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

I believe some Business Centres where Internet,Magazines,Greeting Cards,Stationery are available will hire out a Post Box for a Nominal Charge. I know Steve's Bookshop in Sabinillas near Estepona certainly does as I know a couple of people who use their service. It is worth enquiring at some of the Book Shops in a Town near where you stay.

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 0      
23 Jun 2015 2:43 PM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Had the exact same thing happen here at the start of the year and it has turned into a right mess.

The town hall refuse to install community boxes and the community(or more rightly a vocal minority of the community) are refusing to pay for them too. Six months down the track while neighbouring communities have installed boxes there is not even a sniff of one here. Correos stated they would still deliver registered letters and large boxes but only do the registered letters and not the boxes but I'm sure this is because people from the community are doing bi-weekly protests in front of the post office and town hall. I'm positive some things of mine have disappeared but can't be certain.

a) isn't there a law of some sort in Spain that says every domicile muist have a letter box? Unless I go to the post office regularly to ask (and this is difficult seeing I'm a non resident) how am I to know of any official notices that are being sent to me?

In fact it is the opposite thanks to a Kings Ruling which is the law they are citing here which basically states that if there is not enough population density then there is no obligation for a door to door postal service. Most urbs even if full would struggle to fill the numbers.

We are moving very shortly and the town we are going to has already gone through this process and reacted in a normal way about it so for now I'm happy to leave these cheapskates to it.

That said I would love to know is if in the Campello, San Juan, Alicante area there is a place that will sign for amazon deliveries and you can go and pick them up.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NO WORK.....IS SOCIAL SECURITY AVAILABLE? - 3 posts
buses from malaga airport to marbella on Saturday - 1 posts
Is Covera ever opening ? - 2 posts
Repairs to Westminster - 17 posts
Visiting Gibraltar? - 2 posts
Electricity Charges - 7 posts
Demolition Order - 4 posts
Beware The Cowboy Builders Are Back - 23 posts
Rent or Buy - 6 posts
moving to spain - 10 posts
Astra 2G latest updates - 1 posts
Music Jams - 0 posts
Inconsistent Judicial Rulings and recovery of legal costs and interest (Bank/Insurer claims) - 0 posts
Electricty to be charged by the hour - 2 posts
Foreign Asset Declaration Model 720: - 50 posts
Help!! Employer has not paid me or my tax, or his!! - 4 posts
Spanish Lawyer - 6 posts
Holmes car registration service Marbella - 2 posts
Andrew - 5 posts
Buying white goods in Malaga. - 5 posts
Selling property of deceased person - 4 posts
Deposits on car rental - 4 posts
Cleaning Service in Salou - 0 posts
Making a crime report in Spain to National Police - 10 posts
Cheap car rental option St Javier area - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x