car purchase

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jun 2015 6:41 PM by sue62rsh Star rating in Torrevieja . 15 posts Send private message

We are moving to Torrevieja at the end of July. We will need a car does anyone have any advice on where we can buy a car (or not) we are looking for a second hand smallish car as we have realised parking is an issue any recommendations welcome

Like 0      
05 Jul 2015 10:38 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

I have found that buying a second hand car (LHD) in the UK is possibly one of the cheaper options, and drive to Spain, but this might not be for everyone.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 7:53 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Far easier to buy a car in Spain and there are many car sales and will depend upon your budget of course

Buying a car in UK and driving to spain has many issues

1. Any warranty would be difficult to use

2. Costs of ferry, fuel etc

3. Transfer of plates, import duty etc.

Do a search on line, local rags etc

As in UK there are good and bad 2nd hand car dealers and everyone will have a view. Use your instinct and take your time.

Some good sales in Playa Flamenca, San Miguel and Torrevieja

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 06/07/2015.

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 06/07/2015.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 8:07 AM by iain4702 Star rating in East Lothian & Lo.... 42 posts Send private message

There is a great garage situated on the lemon tree road  at the El Raso estate roundabout .No I have no connection with them other than having a house in nearby Montesinos and have visited the garage a few times.Give them a look.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 8:17 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

That's one of the many things that I've never done, looked for a used car in Spain, however other than for very small pitches I haven't seen any on the coast, probably too expensive. What you need is the help of either a Spaniard or someone who knows their way around, as in the UK I know dealers that I trust and those that I don't, however a stranger wouldn't know the difference. A full service history with receipts for everything goes a long way with me, I work on the premise that if it hasn't got any paperwork then it hasn't been cared for, even cars that have been serviced/repaired by their owners should have receipts for materials used.

Take care.  

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 06/07/2015.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 9:32 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

The main car dealers have sections with used cars they have taken in part exchange. Some I've seen have some very good prices and all the proper paperwork.

As you are in Torrevieja, Goldcar sales (by the main Carrefour) do very good cars, mainly Ford, and give good customer service. We bought a Ford Focus from them several years and the FSH was included. They handled all the paperwork including the registration and even arranging for the SUMA direct debit which was included in the price. A years warranty is also included.

Some of the used car dealers have a bad reputation for clocking the kilometreage(such a word?) and even falsifying the year it was produced so make sure you check everything out.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 9:56 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As you are moving to Torrevieja soon best you be careful as to who you buy from, about this time last year 3 car sites / dealers were raided, all three a little way outside of the town, one was on the roundabout at St Luis opposite the car wash, another in front of the Punta Prima shopping centre, the third I cannot remember for where but pretty sure it was close to the other two, the police shut them down and taped of the sites. These  were all run by the same guys who ripped of buyers by doing, well you think of it they did it.

Just recently the one at St Luis is up and running again,  don't know about the others, maybe the same crew under new names, this happens, or different people, so ask around about these, I bet someone knows.

Another thing to watch out for which surprised me, last September I looked over a car for a friend and the amount of small faults and body damage with it amazed me no end as here in the UK we could never put a car up for sale like this one was, I pointed out all the faults, test drove it, it drove good, the dealer a young  Czech Republic Lady promised to repair all the faults and to her credit she did.

Worth noting because you might find the car you like, with plenty of small faults that you can see, and it puts you of the sale, but had they been done before and it looked good at point of sale...Get what I mean. 

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 2:25 PM by sue62rsh Star rating in Torrevieja . 15 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your help, seems like its worth paying a bit more and going with a main dealer and checking all the paperwork rather than the smaller dealers 

I'll let you know how it goes 

Cheers 

sue 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

air con prices - 1 posts
recommended car hire companies Gerona Spain - 0 posts
New to Eye on Spain - 1 posts
Bank Repossessions - 36 posts
Car insurance for than 90 days on a UK Reg Car - 14 posts
Granada City Centre Traffic Fines - 6 posts
Never again will I book through Do You Spain! - 5 posts
Greek Crisis - 0 posts
We're losing our postal service - 3 posts
NO WORK.....IS SOCIAL SECURITY AVAILABLE? - 3 posts
buses from malaga airport to marbella on Saturday - 1 posts
Is Covera ever opening ? - 2 posts
Repairs to Westminster - 17 posts
Visiting Gibraltar? - 2 posts
Electricity Charges - 7 posts
Demolition Order - 4 posts
Beware The Cowboy Builders Are Back - 23 posts
Rent or Buy - 6 posts
moving to spain - 10 posts
Astra 2G latest updates - 1 posts
Music Jams - 0 posts
Inconsistent Judicial Rulings and recovery of legal costs and interest (Bank/Insurer claims) - 0 posts
Electricty to be charged by the hour - 2 posts
Foreign Asset Declaration Model 720: - 50 posts
Help!! Employer has not paid me or my tax, or his!! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x