New blow-in, the litter and the Car Hire Fuel Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by ned kelly Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi everyone in sunny Spain. As a new non-resident blow-in from Norn Iron (a.k.a. Northern Ireland to the rest of you mere mortals) I am quickly discovering the oddities about this part of the world. Firstly, I have discovered that all of the surviving members of the Waffen SS have set up home in the Costa Blanca and are masquerading as pool guardians in each of the urbanisations. I know that Basil used to say "don't mention the war!" but is it not time that these people were told that they lost?

Secondly, do the town councils here not have any responsibility or regard for the litter problem? The N332 from Alicante airport to Cabo Roig is like a continuous fly-tip with all types of litter lying bleached in the sun. Each time we bring out new friends and family, they all comment on it- are we the only ones who notice this?

On another note, Is there anyone who can put pressure on the car hire comapnies to stop the scandalous practice where a full tank of fuel is supplied but one is expected to leave the car back empty?

We normally travel to our holiday home in Torrevieja a week at a time and usually return the car with the tank over three quarters full. The cost of the fuel almost equals the rental charges.

These companies know it is unlikely someone will return the car empty as no-one is going to risk missing their flight having run out of fuel on the AP7 or N332. So in effect, the hire companies are charging each subsequent driver for the same fuel over and over again. Surely this is immoral if not illegal

I note that the link in the Eyesonspain website connects to a company which also operates this policy. Can eyesonspain not use any influence or contacts they have within the Spanish system to change this?

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 4:39 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

Hi Ned,

You make some very good points there ... i have to say that i have raged about the car fuel farago, which  i see as barefaced extortion ...  i would be happier paying more for the car hire than this underhand way of making more money, which frankly fools no-one.  I would be interested if any members have used a car hire company from Alicante or Murcia airports who do not have this ludicrous policy.

Im just a visitor to Spain, not a resident, but have to say there are things I like, and things I dont like, but on balance there are more of the former than the latter, so cont complain, (except about the car hire thing that just gets under my skin!!!)

Hope you enjoy the forum

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 4:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I didn't realise about this policy. How about buying a petrol can while in Spain and filling it? You can then run it almost dry without worrying about running out on the way to the airport!!

Mark

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 5:33 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

There are a few companies who allow you to do a full/full for hires over 3 days.

Record (email car hire same company but cheaper prices) ask you  to bring the car back with the same amount, normally 1/2 tank but I once had a brand new Fiesta which was right on the red.  Only trouble with this company is that they insist that you take extra insurance for tyres, windows, keys and wrong fuel put in tank.  They normally upgrade you for free but insurance is obviously higher and it can work out to the cost of the fuel tank.  Also have been caught out when hiring a small car as when I got into garage to get keys for car they wanted to take an imprint of my credit card for 300e for the facia for the radio.  Needless to say I told them where they could put there facia, poor man I don't think he knew what hit him.  When you're advised not to take a handbag or bag around with you incase it's snatched who wants to have to carry a facia around everywhere.

Auriga Crown - this one I used last through booking with Doyouspain.  They said at desk that they don't operate full/full but when I returned car someone was checking fuel gauge and if full where giving refunds on credit card.  There was quite a queue of people waiting to be seen but it's worth it as I for one didn't use 60e of fuel, I filled it up once and put 20e in and still had 1/4 tank left when I returned it to airport.

I would have thought that bringing it back with a full tank whould be more sensible as the car could be back on the road again within a short space of time but then this is Spain and we do things differently here.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 7:29 PM by ned kelly Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Mark for the suggestion. The idea had crossed my mind but the idea of storing cans of petrol at my home made me shudder, what with the heat and everything,,,, it just wouldn't be worth it. With a view to giving the excess fuel to one of my neighbours,  I bought a siphon on e-bay and tried to remove some of the fuel but couldn't get the hose past the filter on the car's fuel line. In frustration I started to drive back to the airport in second gear just to burn fuel but was getting strange looks from everyone I passed on the N332 so I had to desist.

From now on I'll specify a diesel car which is very easy to siphon and a much safer fuel to store.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2007 12:17 PM by dchristmas Star rating in Hull,UK & Ciudad Que.... 1 posts Send private message

Yeah, I agree the whole fuel empty thing is a cheek. I hired a car from Auriga at alicante and paid 55€ for the fuel, however I had arranged to return the car "empty" to murcia, which helpfully they didn't charge extra for. The strange thing was I was told to drop the keys of the car through an open window of another parked car..... and walk away! Glad I didn't try to claim back as there was no-one there from Auriga! Iwould also prefer the full/full policy, far easier. hey ho!

Like 0      
19 Aug 2007 3:31 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Just noticed that holiday autos now have in their terms and conditions for Spain return empty. Will not be using them anymore.

Like 0      
20 Aug 2007 3:03 PM by lyndy Star rating in Barnsley,South Yorks.... 125 posts Send private message

lyndy´s avatar

We also detest the Full/empty fuel policy,we are trying a new company when we go over this week,it is Dickmanns,based in Los Alcazares,Mar Menor,Costa Calida,we booked it thru Economy Car Hire & they operate a Half/Empty policy,at least this way it wont cost you as much if you don't use the car much.

Lets hope there are no hidden charges,but have read the small print & all looks ok

Like 0      
20 Aug 2007 9:03 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

We have just booked direct with Diesel Cars at Alicante Airport and sent them an email saying we did not want a full tank.  They were happy to take our booking on that basis - and were pretty cheap too!  They operate out of a van on the first floor of the car park but our last booking with them went very smoothly.

Hope that helps someone.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2007 12:44 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Welcome Ned

This subject re car hire & full/full fuel has been discussed previously & is quite an emotive subject. We've hired endless time both from Alicante & Murcia airport & always now book through

click on link >>>> www.doyouspain.com

See this >> click on link >>>> Auriga Crown  Check out my post 16 Aug 2007 2:03 PM also see this click on link >>>> Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain my post 27 Jul 2007 11:33 AM 

We go with AurigaCrown, a minibus job from Murcia airport about two miles away to their office at Santiago de Ribera & always get full/full for any rental length. You pay for petrol upfront but are advised that if you bring the car back with a full tank you will be credited & given the receipt. We always do this. If, on the rare occasion, DoYouSpain don't put us with AurigaCrown, we email Alex Mayer, their reservations manager on info@doyouspain.com ( these details are always on the bottom of their booking mails) & asked for a quote for AurigaCrown. We have just booked for next month, were initially put with Solmar, but a quick mail to Alex & we were swapped to AurigaCrown & it was same price.

Check the companies cancellation policy !!! www.doyouspain.com don't charge anything if you cancel or just don't turn up, for whatever reason. They only ask that you inform them if that is possible so they can let car out to another. Othe companies often charge so be aware. You often have to give 24 - 48 hrs notice of cancellation.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/21/2007.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 7:08 PM by deniadan Star rating in Denia. 8 posts Send private message

deniadan´s avatar

** EDITED - Self promotion **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 23/07/2011.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:24 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

No it doesn't! I just checked out some dates for Oct and it said the policy was full/empty. Maybe it's full/full for big cars, I was only looking at the cheapest!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:24 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

No it doesn't! I just checked out some dates for Oct and it said the policy was full/empty. Maybe it's full/full for big cars, I was only looking at the cheapest!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:27 PM by deniadan Star rating in Denia. 8 posts Send private message

deniadan´s avatar

** EDITED - Self promotion **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 23/07/2011.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:29 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

HI Deniadan,

Due to the fact this thread is nearly 4 years old what else can you offer, people are sick and tired at being ripped off by car rental  agents when people hire a car they want to pay one price + fuel not all the extras ie windows tyers clutch ect and then being ripped off with the credit card, rental agents need to get there act together. 

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:34 PM by deniadan Star rating in Denia. 8 posts Send private message

deniadan´s avatar

I do agree totally ( don't take it out on me please ) . The worst culprit and originator of this unfair policy is GOLDCAR, the more that is written about this problem and car hire companies are named and shamed then it will STOP.

TIPOA have the ability to select a FULL OUT / FULL RETURN option. As ofr the extra insurance BS that rental companies also try on, just study the online offers first. If you can get a ZERO EXCESS deal then that's best, or take out a seperate temp online policy for around €3 a day for total piece of mind.

Finally just to say that the rental companies who are not right inside the airport, offer the best and fairest deals normally.

Regards

Dan

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 9:51 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Sorry  DanI was not having a go at you,

Maybe this needs the spanish govenment to step in and regulate the rental agents.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2011 11:42 PM by cheapholidaycar Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Not all companies do that!

This message was last edited by cheapholidaycar on 22/07/2011.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2011 12:40 AM by DavyD Star rating in Livingston, Scotland. 11 posts Send private message

Thank goodness I noticed this thread. What a rip off !  I'm coming over during August for a week to look for a holiday homeand had a car booked from Alicante through Do You Spain.  They had arranged Record, who I have just noticed operate an out full / return empty policy on all rentals over 3 days.

I have asked for a change of supplier giving the explanation that I wont accept this policy and if they can't find a supplier who won't then to cancel the entire booking.

I suppose if everyone did that, the problem might just be solved by those companies who abuse the fuel policy

I'll see how we get on.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2011 9:26 AM by alysonwenham Star rating in blackpool, england. 83 posts Send private message

I booked a car from Murcia airport for Whitsun, did the full out/full in thing and took out seperate insurance with a company online for excess.  Took the car back full, few days later, my credit card had been charged E60 for taking it back empty.  Had to call my bank to stop the charge, had to call Holidays Autos as it was booked through them, they were very helpful.  Had to put it in writing - twice!!!  They said that it takes up to 3 weeks to sort out problems, 21 days later Centauro refunded the money saying that they had made a mistake.  Bit convenient for my liking.

Last Summer booked with Avis, got home to a E90 charge on my credit card, despite being given a receipt at the airport for zero charges.  Waited over a month for the refund, and they said that it was a computer error.

Booked with Solmar from Alicante this Easter, they are now off-site, about 5 mins drive away, very good service.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Renting a property - 7 posts
child care - 0 posts
Cash Payments - 5 posts
Barry - 0 posts
Does anyone use an escrow service or similar for holiday rentals? - 2 posts
What else do we need for renting? - 11 posts
Shops and a Restaurant ??? - 0 posts
Viva estates watch - 11 posts
Long term Rental Cabopino to Elviria Desperatley needed - 1 posts
Which air-conditioning do you recommend? - 9 posts
Why the star system - 2 posts
BEACH RECOMMENDATION - CDS - 14 posts
POWER OF ATTORNEY - 12 posts
Ambasun - 23 posts
Help! How can i help pensioner with country house deed problem? - 0 posts
LOST THE THREAD - 2 posts
Auriga Crown - 53 posts
Ozzie - 0 posts
Exchange Chinese for free home-stay - 1 posts
Pool company warning!!! - 1 posts
Cookware shops - 7 posts
Almeria Airport - 2 posts
Arranging your Mortgage - 8 posts
mike/karalyn - 1 posts
Problems purchasing property in Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x