Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by Bill Sykes Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi

might be going to live in Spain 2008 - 2009

I read in some info about renting in BARCELONA that a minimum rental agreement period for an apartment would be 12 months. Is this generally the case throughout Spain?

Is it possible to rent for shorter period without getting into short term holiday renting costs?

cheers

Bill

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 3:05 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Hi Bill l think you will find you have got that the wrong way round,well for the owner anyway,it is best to rent long term up to 11 months because any longer than that and the tenants have certain rights under spanish law. Regards Pat.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2007 9:39 PM by Bill Sykes Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Pat

I have since spoken to someone else who also mentionned the extra bureacracy with renting over 11 months. So my original info source must have been inaccurate or I misread it. So that's good for us as we probably wouldn't stay more than 6 months.

Can I ask if you live in Spain yourself?  Do you own a place or rent?

regards

Bill Sykes

Like 0      
20 Aug 2007 10:58 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Bill,

I think we are talking maximums here as opposed to minimums!  For an owner it is in their interest not to exceed an 11 month period otherwise all sorts of problems could arise.  For a renter, you can have a contract for as litle as e.g. 3 months if required.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
20 Aug 2007 6:39 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Renting costs are not  legally linked to the kind of contract you use ( residential-non residential) but on market parameters. You can rent for less than 12 months if you reach that agreement with the owner also at the cost that you mutually agree.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Aug 2007 9:50 PM by Bill Sykes Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Maria De Castro

thank you for your information. Can I ask some more questions?

would you recommend trying to rent accomodation from UK through an agent before we go ?

OR wait until when we are in Spain and can look directly? - is this cheaper?

Is it normal to pay a deposit and rent in advance?

Do we have any rights if a landlord doesn't return a deposit or evicts us?

We would prefer to live in a city at first and integrate with Spanish people rather than by the coast with a lot of British ex-pats. Will we face any problems or discrimination trying to find a place to live?

Also a seperate issue. We have twins who will be 3 1/2 when we go to Spain. I want ti find out about child care with english speaking nurseries or nannies. can you recommend a website or something?

many thanks for your help

Bill Sykes

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 1:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Bill, welcome to Eye on Spain.

We have twins ourselves and moved to Spain when they were 2 (they are 5 now).

We found that moving with kids really helps as you get to meet a lot of people through the school, parties, etc.  It's great.

Regarding rentals, the thing is that you really need to see somewhere before you rent it so I would suggest you come out and look around say a month before moving out, just so that everything is in place when you move.  You need to make things as easy as possible.

You will need to pay normally a month's deposit, first month's rent and also, sometimes, the last month's rent too so that you don't run off at the end as many do!

Hope that helps a bit.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 1:24 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Bill,

following Justin´s advise and answers, I am also answering in blue below:

Maria De Castro

thank you for your information. Can I ask some more questions?

would you recommend trying to rent accomodation from UK through an agent before we go ?

OR wait until when we are in Spain and can look directly?  Justin knows more and better- is this cheaper? Cheaper with a good local agent.

Is it normal to pay a deposit and rent in advance? It is obligatory by law to  pay a deposit equivalent to one month´s rent.

Do we have any rights if a landlord doesn't return a deposit or evicts us? Of course you do. You can ask for devolution of rent plus interests and have your contract rights to be opossed if the landlord initiated an eviction procedure. I recommend you to subject the contract to arbitration rather than to judicial interpretation. Faster and cheaper.

We would prefer to live in a city at first and integrate with Spanish people rather than by the coast with a lot of British ex-pats. Will we face any problems or discrimination trying to find a place to live? I do not think so. A good understanding of our culture and idiosincrasy will help a lot. And an effort to speak spanish is always very much appreciated. Susan  knows a lot about that.

Also a seperate issue. We have twins who will be 3 1/2 when we go to Spain. I want ti find out about child care with english speaking nurseries or nannies. can you recommend a website or something? I am afraid I cannot, but follow Justin´s advise as he is  father of twins too!!

many thanks for your help

Bill Sykes

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

child care - 0 posts
Cash Payments - 5 posts
Barry - 0 posts
Does anyone use an escrow service or similar for holiday rentals? - 2 posts
What else do we need for renting? - 11 posts
Shops and a Restaurant ??? - 0 posts
Viva estates watch - 11 posts
Long term Rental Cabopino to Elviria Desperatley needed - 1 posts
Which air-conditioning do you recommend? - 9 posts
Why the star system - 2 posts
BEACH RECOMMENDATION - CDS - 14 posts
POWER OF ATTORNEY - 12 posts
Ambasun - 23 posts
Help! How can i help pensioner with country house deed problem? - 0 posts
LOST THE THREAD - 2 posts
Auriga Crown - 53 posts
Ozzie - 0 posts
Exchange Chinese for free home-stay - 1 posts
Pool company warning!!! - 1 posts
Cookware shops - 7 posts
Almeria Airport - 2 posts
Arranging your Mortgage - 8 posts
mike/karalyn - 1 posts
Problems purchasing property in Spain - 2 posts
Bought on El Rocio fase 2 - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x